Smoking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2011, 09:21 AM
RE: Smoking
Yeah that is very likely to happen, my grandmother is like 67 and she smokes like 3 packs a day and only coughs a little bit. Smoking will cause cancer in time (40-50 years in the use), but it's not as bad as people make it look. All of these Anti-Smoking people dont realize that these people owning the big companies like Newport are just trying to make a living. Theyre not doing it to kill people, they're doing it to support family members etc....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2011, 03:24 PM
In conclusion though I think that the dangers of smoking are so hyped because the government doesn't like people getting the possitive effects.

Also: if anyone knows where to find E cigarettes in the UK that would really help. I'd love to be able to smoke in the office :3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
21-10-2011, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2011 09:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-10-2011 03:24 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  In conclusion though I think that the dangers of smoking are so hyped because the government doesn't like people getting the possitive effects.

I don't think that's right. The dangers of the tar and carcinogens in cigarette smoke are well researched and known. But it's all about relative risk.

(21-10-2011 03:24 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Also: if anyone knows where to find E cigarettes in the UK that would really help. I'd love to be able to smoke in the office :3

My brother gets his shit from Vaperite. Only places dude doesn't ship to is Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Doesn't mean it'll make it through your customs, though.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-10-2011, 06:05 PM
The Government hypes up the dangers of smoking as much as possible to keep the anti-smoking brigade happy.

The anti-smokers want it banned but the Government can't ban it because they know doing so would destroy the economy and lose them the votes of all smokers. They can't do nothing because then they would run the risk of losing the votes of all non-smokers and being branded as uncaring.

The only option is to campaign strongly against it but not actually do much about it. Then they can hope to appease both sides and try to maintain the balance.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
22-10-2011, 07:02 PM
(22-10-2011 06:05 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  The Government hypes up the dangers of smoking as much as possible to keep the anti-smoking brigade happy.

The anti-smokers want it banned but the Government can't ban it because they know doing so would destroy the economy and lose them the votes of all smokers. They can't do nothing because then they would run the risk of losing the votes of all non-smokers and being branded as uncaring.

The only option is to campaign strongly against it but not actually do much about it. Then they can hope to appease both sides and try to maintain the balance.

I'm a big fan of nicotine as both en effective stimulant and nootropic. But the traditional delivery systems of smoking, dipping, or sniffing tobacco are primitive, inefficient, and dangerous. Patches, gum, and ecigs are far more efficient and safer.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-10-2011, 10:04 AM

I'm a current smoker, & have been smoking for a while.
I can honestly say that I am not addicted & could stop at any moment, I just choose not to.
I don't crave the nicotine or anything.
Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2011, 12:03 PM
(29-10-2011 10:04 AM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  I'm a current smoker, & have been smoking for a while.
I can honestly say that I am not addicted & could stop at any moment, I just choose not to.
I don't crave the nicotine or anything.

Yeah that's what I was like. I'm more addicted to the action than the nicotine I think.

Quitting was still a bitch though.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
29-10-2011, 01:31 PM
I don’t smoke, never really have in the past apart from the odd trial cig I would bum off a mate.
Personally think it’s an informed choice as you all must know by now that they are addictive and not good for you.
Your life, your decision.
But the passive smoking thing winds up some people, I think a little consideration is called for.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
29-10-2011, 04:03 PM
It might be important to separate the product from the addiction. It is said that everyone finds their own addiction or it find you... and I am no exception... Dodgy
I used to smoke Pall Mall Red (no filter)... I smoked off and on for about 5 years, whenever I felt like it, and never had a problem. One day I stopped; no withdraw, no irritability -I just forgot about it and experienced no problems. 4 years passed and I got into a relationship which would last 14 years, 10 of those years he smoked. When he quit... I craved a cigarette like a junkie, and I coughed up brown crap for at least 6 months or more. I had no addiction to my own non-filtered cigarettes but was completely, second hand addicted, to his filtered cigarettes. That's when I started to learn about what people are addicted to, and also find out how people become addicted.

A great deal of the addictive material of a cigarette can be found in the filter. Since mid 20th century, filters have been "treated" with extra chemicals to further addict the user. Tobacco companies have actually admitted this, and because various lawsuits have been won using this information, many companies have reported cutting back on this practice, without confirmation of complete discontinuation.
It is also interesting to note that after lawsuits with this information came about, a few new "organic" cigarettes have hit the market, some with no filter at all. Time has allowed little if any analysis of the effects of these "natural" and "organic" cigarettes, but early reports indicate addiction is minimal and at least, less physically damaging than traditionally marketed brand name products with filters.

Nicotine dilates blood vessels and capillaries... as does whisky. Because of this capillary action, cigarettes and whisky were common treatments for various diseases including tuberculosis, prior to 20th century medical and scientific advances.
The vitamin niacin causes similar dilation but studies so far have been inconclusive as to the effectiveness of it's use. However, after quitting smoking, some have noted that their nicotine cravings and irritability disappeared soon after they started taking niacin supplements. Interesting.
Just a quick Google took me here and I learned something new.... "whale vomit" … what a hella cool term. Big Grin http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/tobaccos...ofacts.htm
Idea
Statistics on smoking and/or addiction will not make any difference at all, without personal education, a personal gathering of facts, and willingness to make a drastic change. It's tough, so just a single Google is probably not enough to stop someone from participating in something clearly enjoyed and therefore reluctant to quit. That's what addiction is all about.
If you are looking to get away from smoking... good luck, friend. Been there, done that. Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-10-2011, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 04:19 PM by houseofcantor.)
Niacin also gets one out of a bad LSD trip. Good stuff, but don't use it if you wanna get high. Big Grin

As for the health issues, how is "burning stuff, and filling the lungs with it" a good thing?

I do it. Cost/benefit analysis is in the black. Case closed. Statistics have their use; but living by statistic is idolatry - there is only one Idol in this house, and she is a jealous god... Big Grin

What you gotta do is live your life. What you wanna do it enjoy it. What you don't wanna do is live your death. Simple math trumps statistical analysis every time. Wink
(29-10-2011 01:31 PM)Karl Wrote:  I don’t smoke, never really have in the past apart from the odd trial cig I would bum off a mate.
Personally think it’s an informed choice as you all must know by now that they are addictive and not good for you.
Your life, your decision.
But the passive smoking thing winds up some people, I think a little consideration is called for.

Compassion is a key human component. Moderation is a key human insight. Passion, however, burns. Those who use it, fly; those who get used by it - crash. and. burn. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user