Smurfian Communism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Smurfian Communism
I was at work discussing the communist elements evident in the Smurf regime and was going to break it down for a thread, but I found someone who had done it better already. So I will trim out the boring fat (seems like he did it for a school project) and add visuals.

For the original piece, go here.

Smurfian Communism

A sudden frost settles over the forest, the fresh crop of smurfberries is destroyed leaving the Smurfs with a low stock of food. Faced with starvation, Papa Smurf declares that all food will be rationed until the next crop of smurfberries is ready to be harvested. One night, while the peace loving villagers share their equally divided kernel of corn, it is discovered that Greedy Smurf, the baker, has an undeclared stock of food. Soon after, the village, led by Papa Smurf, storms Greedy's house and empty all his supplies of food. Not only is he now an outcast, he is beaten with a floorboard pulled up from his own house.

Please note that all of the Smurfs' dress exactly alike. The Smurfs all wore the same uniform, white hats, white pants, white shoes. Some might scoff and state that the female Smurfs wore a dress to the males' pants. While the women did have a separate uniform from that of the men, the women still had a uniform. Every Smurf alike in every way.

Take note of the principle characters in the television shows; Papa, Hefty, Handy, Brainy, Vanity, Poet. Papa Smurf, the leader, is the only one who stands out of the group. His red clothing and facial hair separate him from the clean shaven, white clad citizens of Smurf Village. It is quite unmistakably a caricature of Vladimir Lenin and Stalin combined. Papa Smurf's red clothing can only mean to stand for the USSR To Russians, the color red signifies beauty, hence the red flag, Red Square, Red Army, et cetera.

Papa Smurf, founded Smurf Village and began the processes of industrialization, building dams, workshops, and having the only contact with the outside world.

[Image: Papasmurf1.jpg]

Hefty Smurf is the soldier, the enforcer, if one is so inclined, of Smurf Village. His job is to fight to protect the village and keep the other Smurfs from harm. He is the secret police. Hefty is what keeps the independent thought at bay. He keeps the other Smurfs in terror of what will happen if they disobey Papa Smurf. Hefty's strength is not only used to enforce Papa Smurf's will. It is also used to build and construct, for manual labor. Hefty is the ideal soldier/worker, solid, loyal to the cause and will not ask questions.

[Image: 466950-hefty_smurf.gif]

This brings the dramatus personae to Handy Smurf. Handy is the worker, the embodiment of Marx's proletarian. Handy is a farmer, a builder, an inventor, an engineer. He does all of these things, and is still only given the same amount as every other Smurf. Granted, under true communism, he would not have to do as much, but he is a good communist and will do everything in his power to advance the people and their lives.

[Image: Handy_Smurf.gif]

The first Smurf to be criticized in every episode is Brainy Smurf. He is the only Smurf who openly undermines the Smurf state. Brainy Smurf, while often put in a position of power, often had less say then Hefty or Handy. Brainy Smurf, at the end of nearly every episode, is thrown out of Smurf Village. Not exiled, but thrown out, with intention for physical damage, ergo assassination.

[Image: BrainySmurf.jpg]

Vanity Smurf is, simply put, the Soviet view of a stereotypical capitalist member of the bourgeoisie. Vanity is constantly doing everything in his power to improve his appearance, even at the cost of the rest of the village.

[Image: VanitySmurf.jpg]

Now, to end the character resemblances, I bring Smurfette to the consideration of the reader. Smurfette, the only female on the television show for the first few seasons, is the communal wife described by Marx in The Communist Manifesto. She seems to only exist to breed and is given no say or consideration in matters dealing with the village.

[Image: Smurfette_old.jpg]

The Smurf's principle enemies, Gargamel and Azrael, show the Soviet Union's contempt for religion, especially Judaism. Azrael, in Islamic and Jewish faiths, is known as the angel of death. Azrael is often identified with Gabriel in Jewish writings and Raphael in Islamic tomes.

According to legend, Azrael keeps a scroll containing the name of every person born in the world. The facts such as time of death and whether the person is damned or not or unbeknownst to the angel. When the time comes for a person to die, a note is dropped from the throne of Allah containing the person's name. Azrael reads the note and must separate the soul from the body within forty days. If the person is a believer, they will be peacefully removed. If an unbeliever, Azrael violently tears the soul from the body and casts them into Hell.

[Image: Gargamel.jpg]

The similarities between this children's television show and the once vast Red Empire are much too striking to be a mere coincidence. Could this program, aimed to infiltrate and corrupt children's minds, be a plot set up by Soviet Intelligence? Perhaps we will never know.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
26-03-2012, 01:19 AM
RE: Smurfian Communism
There is a documentry analyzing the shit out of the show. In the first episode Smurfettes hair was brown and she was evil (those evil women!) and papa smurf made a potion to change her for good and she turned blonde. So much sexism in this show. Sometimes I speak in a broken airy smurfette voice to the pets and the family cringes. ha ha! The pets love it.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
26-03-2012, 01:52 AM
(26-03-2012 01:19 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  There is a documentry analyzing the shit out of the show. In the first episode Smurfettes hair was brown and she was evil (those evil women!) and papa smurf made a potion to change her for good and she turned blonde. So much sexism in this show. Sometimes I speak in a broken airy smurfette voice to the pets and the family cringes. ha ha! The pets love it.

Actually Smurfette was created by Gargamel and sent in to distract them and "cause the Smurf's demise through unrest and strife."

The story of the Smurfs is actually pretty insane when delved into too deeply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smurfette

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
26-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Yes, created to be an evil distracting woman.

Funny, when I was a wee one I never picked any of this up. I just loved the fact smurfs lived under mushrooms. Mini things fascinate me. My faves were Vanity and Painter.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
27-03-2012, 11:45 AM
LadyJane is a dork.

I always disliked the smurfs. I couldn't figure it out. So many dudes and originally the only girl wasn't even one of them.
Also the whole idea was messed up. Wasn't gargamel always either trying to eat them or use them in his alchemy?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
02-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Communism portrayed as the fairy tale it always was and will be. Sounds about right to me.

My grandmother was a victim of the black famine in Ukraine (1932/33). The stuff she told me about what the communist dream did to her and her family still gives me shivers when I think about it. It really bugs me when I run across people that think this is a stately ideal. However if you wanna join and live in an intentional commune then more power to you (http://www.ic.org). Wanting communal living for yourself is fine until you want to force everyone else into it too. I think I read somewhere that even the most successful communes (in America) always fizzle out between 40 to 80 years if they last that long at all. Seems to me that if there was really something to it people would be flocking to them instead of running away from them.
04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Interesting. Why was this thread never brought to my attention?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 3 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
(04-12-2013 05:09 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Interesting. Why was this thread never brought to my attention?

Cuz Gargamel.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
04-12-2013, 07:14 PM
(04-12-2013 06:32 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 05:09 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Interesting. Why was this thread never brought to my attention?

Cuz Gargamel.

Bastard! He shall be put to the fire and we shall roast smurfberries over his corpse!

His Holiness will be most pleased.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
04-12-2013, 07:26 PM

It was for your own good. Now it's too late. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]