Snake-Handling: Don't try this at home, kids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Snake-Handling: Don't try this at home, kids
Washington Post story: Randy Wolford, the Serpent-handling pastor

This is why Variant Texts like Mark 16:17-18 should be taken out of the Bible...or better yet, just do away with the whole thing. Big Grin

[Image: g000258000000000000e9b0f2b7a0e57bc3c159b...ed67c5.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
RE: Snake-Handling: Don't try this at home, kids
Yeah I saw that this morning. Made me laugh, but it probably shouldn't have. I feel cruel. I am cruel. MWahahahhaha.

MY favorite part of this truly sad situation... was where i read that the guys father had died from the same thing...

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
01-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Maybe with all this artificial selection there will be a mutant offshoot of Christians that are immune to snake poison.

Makes me wonder what is happening in their brains. How they manage to continue with this..

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
01-06-2012, 07:06 PM
(01-06-2012 05:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Washington Post story: Randy Wolford, the Serpent-handling pastor

This is why Variant Texts like Mark 16:17-18 should be taken out of the Bible...or better yet, just do away with the whole thing. Big Grin

Some of them also swallow poison...............The only safe snake is a trouser snake--------well generally speaking. Ohmy
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
01-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Generally speaking, taking up snakes thinking God will protect you always is a pretty good empirical test of that hypothesis.

In the end, it was important enough to him to risk his life, so I gotta assume he lived a good life. Too bad he had to die though. I hope his family is all right.

Hey, Woof.

Lol.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
01-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Where's ya god now bitch.

ok that may have been a little insensitive, but hey.. his fault for trusting in the non-existent.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-06-2012, 03:15 AM
(01-06-2012 07:06 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(01-06-2012 05:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Washington Post story: Randy Wolford, the Serpent-handling pastor

Some of them also swallow poison...............The only safe snake is a trouser snake--------well generally speaking. Ohmy
Well... In Taiwan and China, some people do drink snake poison as some sort of aphrodisiac medicine... Tongue

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
02-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I saw this story a few days ago. I have to admit that my first instinct was to be amused, even feel vindicated that these people were forced to confront the fraudulent claims of their hokey religion.

However, in reality it isn't very funny. This in my opinion illustrates the ultimate tragedy of religion. You look at this guy, who said "hey Jebus will protect me from the snakes," but then he gets bit and dies, JUST LIKE HIS DAD!! So now you have two generations of this family that has to go through their father getting killed, for utterly nothing. In addition, the people involved are so utterly brainwashed and intellectually complacent, that even after seeing that this was complete nonsense as another human being dies before their eyes, they go on believing in this garbage.

What could this guy have done, what kind of better life could him and his family have had, if he hadn't gotten drawn into this nonsense?
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
02-06-2012, 10:47 AM
(01-06-2012 10:56 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Generally speaking, taking up snakes thinking God will protect you always is a pretty good empirical test of that hypothesis.
Hey Ghost, snake handling SHOULD be a pretty good empirical test, but it is not. The pastor's dad died at age 39 from a snake bite. The pastor said, "I hated to see him go, but he died for what he believed in." It's a corollary to "Your damned if you do, your damned if you don't." If the snake bites you and you live, it shows God protected you. If you die, you've still shown that you're willing to give your life up for your belief.

Superluminal, indeed, it's tragic that the family seems undisturbed by the practice that lead to his death. His sister said, "At one time or another, we had handled [snakes], but we had backslid." So if you decide it's a stupid and dangerous idea you've become a Back-slider. Nice technique.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote: Wolford, who had turned 44 the previous day, was bitten by a rattlesnake he had owned for years. He died late Sunday evening.
Mark Randall "Mack" Wolford was known all over Appalachia as a daring man of conviction. He believed that the Bible mandates that Christians handle serpents to test their faith in God — and that, if they are bitten, they trust in God alone to heal them.

So much for that.

I am surprised that the fact that god didn't save his dad didn't keep him from doing this nonsense.

I guess he learned the hard way, once the kidneys shut down you know you are dying and it still took many hours. Plus he didn't end up dying in his church like he wanted, but in a sterile, naked hospital room. Where you die matters. It makes all the difference in how you feel about dying.

People are so freaking crazy, it's unbelievable.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post