Snake-Handling: Don't try this at home, kids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 03:13 PM
RE: Snake-Handling: Don't try this at home, kids
And, Kim, that one line is considered by bible scholars to be a textual variant, added by later scribes, centuries after the original manuscripts were compiled. Most modern translations that include it do so with a footnote marking it as a suspect passage. Yet, a whole belief system has emerged from it.

Scary.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
15-06-2012, 12:27 AM
...or at least until you hit puberty...oh, it's THAT type of 'snake-handling'..sorry Confused

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
15-06-2012, 08:25 AM
(14-06-2012 02:29 PM)kim Wrote:  How did I miss this thread? This is my favorite obscure Theist crazy crap. I am completely fascinated by this snake handling. Shy Thanks for this Erxy - I love this shit.

Another thing about it that really speaks to me is that it's all centered around that one line: They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

That is so completely unexceptional in the contextual story line and yet people choose to give it such power.
Think about that.

"Nothing" will take whatever power one is willing to give it. Yes Contrary to the general consensus, belief is a two way street.
I suppose it's right up there with Jehovah's Witnesses' refusal of blood transfusions based on their interpretation of Acts 15:28, 29. And in some misguided belief in the sanctity or magical powers of blood.

It would be interesting to compile a list of crazy beliefs that based on one line of some book.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2012, 08:44 AM
(15-06-2012 08:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  It would be interesting to compile a list of crazy beliefs that based on one line of some book.

That would be interesting! There are a ton of bible one liners that people limit their lives to.

Consider But you know? It's occurred to me ... maybe we're looking at this all wrong.

You get enough idiots handling snakes and eventually the snakes win out. Sooner or later, JWs all get some genetic blood disease and no more up-in-a-weekend, metal buildings will dot the suburbs.

Maybe this shit is crowd control. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-06-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't know, Kim. If Christians start playing with their snakes behind closed doors, there could be a population explosion! Angel

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-06-2012, 11:59 AM
(15-06-2012 11:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I don't know, Kim. If Christians start playing with their snakes behind closed doors, there could be a population explosion! Angel

So.... Christians play with their snakes behind closed doors. And we know this because.....? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-06-2012, 12:28 PM
(15-06-2012 11:59 AM)kim Wrote:  
(15-06-2012 11:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I don't know, Kim. If Christians start playing with their snakes behind closed doors, there could be a population explosion! Angel

So.... Christians play with their snakes behind closed doors. And we know this because.....? Dodgy
I used to be a Christian.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-08-2012, 01:27 AM
Big Grin Well... HOLY CRAPOLY!
I'm clearing out some ancient file photos from at least four years ago ... and I find this little gem.
[Image: pastorsnote.jpg]

02-08-2012, 01:29 AM
(02-08-2012 01:27 AM)kim Wrote:  Big Grin Well... HOLY CRAPOLY!
I'm clearing out some ancient file photos from at least four years ago ... and I find this little gem.
[Image: pastorsnote.jpg]

For someone who can't spell his own profession, he has a beautiful signature.

~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
02-08-2012, 01:43 AM
Yea Erxy, what's up with that? I guess I just always thought that Preachers would at least have some kind of college or seminary type schooling. Is this not really a mandatory thing?

Or, maybe Paster Payne just wasn't very attentive during English classes. Dodgy