Snopes: CLAIM: Atheists are trying to ban Bibles from all hotel rooms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2015, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 03:49 PM by WalkingSnake.)
RE: Snopes: CLAIM: Atheists are trying to ban Bibles from all hotel rooms
(10-12-2015 10:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They should leave them. Actually reading the Bible must be one of the leading causes for atheism and people saying "WTF, I never knew all this shit was in here".

"Amen" to that. My wife and I try to travel and make it to hotels regularly. I like to get their Gideon Bible out of the nightstand there, and dog-ear and highlight the places people should read. Really good shit like Numbers 31. My wife just rolls her eyes at me.

Plus nothing gets a woman going like a couple verses from Song of Solomon. Your hair is like a flock of goats descending from the hills of Gilead. Ah, yeah that's good shit right there.

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
11-12-2015, 04:25 PM
I visited a hotel once that just had a card inside the drawer. It said something like:

"We value all of our guests, and hope to accomidate everyone to the best of our ability. For our religious guests who may have forgotten or are otherwise without their religious texts, we offer a wide variety at the front lobby."

I asked about it at the front desk and they actually had a ton of books in multiple languages. It was an impressive library of books. When I asked how often they were borrowed, she chuckled and said "literally never."

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-12-2015, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 06:28 PM by Reltzik.)
(11-12-2015 01:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  If we want to fight and hate each other then let's fight against the bible in hotel rooms.

But if we want to be more happy and more united then let's keep the bible in the hotel room and let's have some other books for atheists, Muslims, etc.
And let every person to choose what to read.

But it looks like many of us prefer to fight and hate while preaching about love and tolerance. Many of us only like to preach about peace.
Their lips are close to peace and love but their hearts are very far away from it.

Okay, let's see.

Under the first amendment, the government must remain neutral on religious matters. Every action it takes, on every level (federal, state, district, all the way down to the governance of universities and school boards) must have a secular purpose, and not overly favor or impede any particular religion over other religions or no religion, and not overly entangle the government in religion. If any one of these conditions is not met, the government action is unconstitutional. (This is the Lemon test, named after the Supreme Court case that established these boundaries.)

So, for example, making laws against murder and theft advance a secular purpose of a more peaceful, safer society, does not greatly advance or impede any religions over any others, and does not entangle the government with religion.

In the case of a government-run hotel, the providing of Bibles to guests fails all three prongs of this test. There is no secular purpose served. It favors one religion (Christianity) over all others. And it gets the government involved in distributing religious material, which is entanglement.

(Note that private hotel chains, not government-run, are not restricted by this standard. They're allowed to favor religions, entangle themselves in religion, and go beyond mere secular purposes if they choose. Atheists might find the Bibles in these rooms irritating, and might do things like complain to the front desk or organize boycotts -- in extreme cases -- but that's all private sector. Vandalism is crossing the line, in my view, but it's a low-damage mischief line. To the best of my knowledge no one is suing to get the Bibles out of private hotel rooms, and if they do that lawsuit deserves to get laughed out of court.)

Your counter-proposal, to include texts from ALL faith positions (including non-religious) in each room of the government-run hotel is ludicrous. First of all, doing so would be a practical impossibility. Given the huge number of religions out there, that would involve massive bookcases and tremendous expense... and that's before you started having, say, Christians flushing their rooms' Korans down the toilet and the hotel needing to replace them on a regular basis. Second, even if you managed to do this, you would have only addressed one prong of the test... maybe two. Stocking the rooms with religious texts would clearly serve no secular purpose, and arguably it is still entangling the government into religion in the role of a provider of religious texts.

Given hotel wifi and access to the internet and its massive body of religious texts, I have to ask what harm is done by NOT having the government providing religious texts to hotel guests.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
11-12-2015, 07:08 PM
(11-12-2015 10:44 AM)izel Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 10:40 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  We should start a thread where people brainstorm ideas as to what to do to hotel room bibles. How about drawing a knife through an eyeball on the page where jebus says to cut out your eye if you look at a woman lustfully, or draw two women sharing a guy on the page about Lot and his daughters.

See you do that in US, somebody sees it, they gonna complain to the staff and get it changed. It would be funny to do it in Saudi Arabia to the quran.
And then sit somewhere in the distance and watch the hotel blow up Laugh out load

That would hilarious if it weren’t so true. Aw, fuck it, it’s hilarious. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-12-2015, 07:53 PM
(11-12-2015 06:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Okay, let's see.
Under the first amendment, the government must remain neutral on religious matters. Every action it takes, on every level (federal, state, district, all the way down to................... ,
OK, I agree with what you said.
(11-12-2015 06:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I have to ask what harm is done by NOT having the government providing religious texts to hotel guests.
No harm at all.
And I don't even need anybody to provide scriptures to me. I have my own.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
12-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Bibles in hotel rooms?

Otherwise known as 'free rolling paper' or 'backup toilet paper'.

[Image: Bible%20Joint.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-12-2015, 01:42 AM
(12-12-2015 12:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Bibles in hotel rooms?

Bad idea. I've heard that Bibles are carcinogens. Especially when burned.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
12-12-2015, 10:27 AM
(12-12-2015 01:42 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 12:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Bibles in hotel rooms?

Bad idea. I've heard that Bibles are carcinogens. Especially when burned.

It is an unpleasant smoke. Something about the paper or ink seems to put off a green flame.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
12-12-2015, 10:56 PM
(12-12-2015 10:27 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 01:42 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Bad idea. I've heard that Bibles are carcinogens. Especially when burned.

It is an unpleasant smoke. Something about the paper or ink seems to put off a green flame.
Is it high in copper or something?
12-12-2015, 11:01 PM
(12-12-2015 10:56 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 10:27 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  It is an unpleasant smoke. Something about the paper or ink seems to put off a green flame.
Is it high in copper or something?

No. Just the reverse.

[Image: B9317486614Z.1_20150526193424_000_GRHATADE3.1-0.jpg]

Coppers are high on it.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post