Snopes going down?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Snopes going down?
Snopes seems to be having legal and financial troubles, and it's future is uncertain.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2017, 05:51 PM
RE: Snopes going down?
That's just a rumor. Big Grin
[+] 8 users Like pablo's post
01-08-2017, 06:30 AM
That would be very sad....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Trumpites and the rest of the fuckers who hate being fact checked will be rejoicing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-08-2017, 07:31 AM
I followed your links and see that snopes has raised over 682,000 of their 500,000 goal.

This article came from snopes itself:

https://www.savesnopes.com/

I would hate to see them leave and sure would like to know who is holding them hostage.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
01-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Yeah, that really is sad- I hope they can pull out of that tailspin because it's a truly useful site and that fact checking is critical these days.
01-08-2017, 01:47 PM
(01-08-2017 07:31 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I would hate to see them leave and sure would like to know who is holding them hostage.

From the Snopes FAQ:

"Q: You claim your site is essentially being “held hostage.” What does that mean? Can’t you just {insert seemingly plausible technical solution}?

After we terminated our contract with Proper Media, we sought to migrate our hosting to another service provider — and that provider is anxiously waiting to go (as are we). But migrations of sites like Snopes.com require some level of cooperation, coordination, and courtesy, which Proper Media has refused to provide. Without access to the servers, our site’s code, or our databases, we cannot migrate our site to a more favorable service provider.

To rewrite our source code and be reduced to scraping content that we have carefully curated in our databases over the course of more than twenty years is a huge task that carries a significant price tag. Furthermore, any attempt to “take back” the site will likely exacerbate our legal issues.

Proper Media says that they made an effort to turn over our site to us, but their first and only attempt was a collection of useless files, and appeared to be just for show. "

--
Dr H

01-08-2017, 02:52 PM
(01-08-2017 01:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 07:31 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I would hate to see them leave and sure would like to know who is holding them hostage.

From the Snopes FAQ:

"Q: You claim your site is essentially being “held hostage.” What does that mean? Can’t you just {insert seemingly plausible technical solution}?

After we terminated our contract with Proper Media, we sought to migrate our hosting to another service provider — and that provider is anxiously waiting to go (as are we). But migrations of sites like Snopes.com require some level of cooperation, coordination, and courtesy, which Proper Media has refused to provide. Without access to the servers, our site’s code, or our databases, we cannot migrate our site to a more favorable service provider.

To rewrite our source code and be reduced to scraping content that we have carefully curated in our databases over the course of more than twenty years is a huge task that carries a significant price tag. Furthermore, any attempt to “take back” the site will likely exacerbate our legal issues.

Proper Media says that they made an effort to turn over our site to us, but their first and only attempt was a collection of useless files, and appeared to be just for show. "

Oh my dog, they have been screwed out of their site. It's easy to allow migration. This just sucks.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-08-2017, 05:17 PM
As of now:

$682,657 of $500k goal
Raised by 24,494 people in 8 days

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
03-08-2017, 07:20 PM
(01-08-2017 05:17 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  As of now:

$682,657 of $500k goal
Raised by 24,494 people in 8 days

That is pretty phenomenal -- when I started the thread they were only up to $92K.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post