Snowden Situation

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
28-07-2013, 01:08 AM
RE: Snowden Situation
(28-07-2013 01:05 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 11:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And if you say something that I feel is due to your youth, I have no issue telling you so -- and like elegant atheist, I won't hold it against you. Enjoy it, because the built in youth excuse expires with age Tongue

Youth is a shit-poor excuse. I would rather not have people think I am less than them just because I am years younger.

Nor do I like people patronizing me or giving me "an excuse."

I don't really understand what warranted the age card to be thrown out there anyway, what was I doing that was so childish?

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 01:18 AM
(28-07-2013 01:08 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 01:05 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Youth is a shit-poor excuse. I would rather not have people think I am less than them just because I am years younger.

Nor do I like people patronizing me or giving me "an excuse."

I don't really understand what warranted the age card to be thrown out there anyway, what was I doing that was so childish?

One.) You identified yourself as a 15 year old. So naturally they blame your stubbornness and idealism on your youth.

Two.) They feel as if it matters, when I disagree. But hey, I'm biased.

I'm in the same boat here. I'm 16 and I hate that people think that because I am so young, that they can just dismiss my opinions as merely an age thing.

Experience, kid. That's all that matters, not age. Age is only a factor when you don't have the ability to reason, in my ability. 13-14 is the time where I stop treating people like children, and attack their arguments based on merits. I see it as a respect issue. If you can't respect me enough to talk to me as equal, and stop blaming things "on my age" then you can go fuck yourselves.

I really hate those types of people.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
28-07-2013, 01:25 AM
He needs to stay in Russia, just not at the Cinnabon in the Moscow airport. Although Eric Holder said he would not be given the death penalty for treason and supposedly some deal was to be made ? Last I heard anyways.

Wouldn't it be something though if Russia aids, or already has, Snowden and speaks out against the NSA and how privacy is being handled in our government ? To be quite frank, I would much rather have Putin running things than anybody in DC at the moment. Rand Paul might be an exception.

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
28-07-2013, 01:26 AM
(28-07-2013 01:18 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 01:08 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I don't really understand what warranted the age card to be thrown out there anyway, what was I doing that was so childish?

One.) You identified yourself as a 15 year old. So naturally they blame your stubbornness and idealism on your youth.

I'm in the same boat here. I'm 16 and I hate that people think that because I am so young, that they can just dismiss my opinions as merely an age thing.

Experience, kid. That's all that matters, not age. Age is only a factor when you don't have the ability to reason, in my ability. 13-14 is the time where I stop treating people like children, and attack their arguments based on merits. I see it as a respect issue. If you can't respect me enough to talk to me as equal, and stop blaming things "on my age" then you can go fuck yourselves.

I am stubborn and idealistic about things like freedom and privacy, I don't see why that would be so contemptible. Having ideals and goals to aspire to seems like a good thing to me, at least it is much better than throwing your hands up and saying fuck it, it's beyond repair.

28-07-2013, 01:27 AM
Snowden Situation
Letting people know that they are being spied on is not giving out classified info.
28-07-2013, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 01:46 AM by Logica Humano.)
(28-07-2013 01:26 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 01:18 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  One.) You identified yourself as a 15 year old. So naturally they blame your stubbornness and idealism on your youth.

I am stubborn and idealistic about things like freedom and privacy, I don't see why that would be so contemptible. Having ideals and goals to aspire to seems like a good thing to me, at least it is much better than throwing your hands up and saying fuck it, it's beyond repair.

Clinging on to ideals and goals so much that you lash out with emotional responses with miscalculated assumptions is not good and, as far as I can tell, no one has said there is no way to remedy the problem.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
28-07-2013, 01:34 AM
(28-07-2013 01:26 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 01:18 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  One.) You identified yourself as a 15 year old. So naturally they blame your stubbornness and idealism on your youth.

The problem they have is how much wiggle room you have for your ideals.

Personally, you and I are of a similar opinion, but I recognize my limits and my exceptions.

We aren't saying "fuck it, it's beyond repair." We are saying "It's not illegal, but we hope that it will be."

If you have a plan to stop it (stop it legally.) go ahead. I'll be rooting for ya.

If people give you shit about age, then pay them no mind, just address their arguments as rationally and logically as possible.

Personally, I see the age card as a fallacy. (Which it technically could be an ad hom.)

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
28-07-2013, 01:45 AM
(28-07-2013 01:34 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 01:26 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I am stubborn and idealistic about things like freedom and privacy, I don't see why that would be so contemptible. Having ideals and goals to aspire to seems like a good thing to me, at least it is much better than throwing your hands up and saying fuck it, it's beyond repair.

The problem they have is how much wiggle room you have for your ideals.

Personally, you and I are of a similar opinion, but I recognize my limits and my exceptions.

We aren't saying "fuck it, it's beyond repair." We are saying "It's not illegal, but we hope that it will be."

If you have a plan to stop it (stop it legally.) go ahead. I'll be rooting for ya.

If people give you shit about age, then pay them no mind, just address their arguments as rationally and logically as possible.

Personally, I see the age card as a fallacy. (Which it technically could be an ad hom.)

Yes maybe you're right, I tend to single out the most crazy/angering post and attack that one only, I might need to single out arguments individually.

By no means do I think that I am a miracle worker, I have no plan to overturn those laws, I was trying to point them out for what they are, bullshit. It seemed to me that I was met with opposition that said things like, -fuck you that's how the government should work- and -you have no right to challenge the authority, you're just a whiny little teenager.- That shit I found repulsive. Being barraged with that stuff and not fully understanding what you guys meant when you said legal, assuming it was synonymous with right or justified, kind of threw me off.

28-07-2013, 01:48 AM
(28-07-2013 01:45 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 01:34 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  The problem they have is how much wiggle room you have for your ideals.

Yes maybe you're right, I tend to single out the most crazy/angering post and attack that one only, I might need to single out arguments individually.

By no means do I think that I am a miracle worker, I have no plan to overturn those laws, I was trying to point them out for what they are, bullshit. It seemed to me that I was met with opposition that said things like, -fuck you that's how the government should work- and -you have no right to challenge the authority, you're just a whiny little teenager.- That shit I found repulsive. Being barraged with that stuff and not fully understanding what you guys meant when you said legal, assuming it was synonymous with right or justified, kind of threw me off.

I said you have no idea how government works because you continuously persisted that the Patriot Act was illegal, despite the fact that the Supreme Court has not overturned it and ruled it unconstitutional. Your age had nothing to do with it. I mean, at least you aren't as bad as I and I. Yeesh.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
28-07-2013, 01:51 AM
(28-07-2013 01:33 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 01:26 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I am stubborn and idealistic about things like freedom and privacy, I don't see why that would be so contemptible. Having ideals and goals to aspire to seems like a good thing to me, at least it is much better than throwing your hands up and saying fuck it, it's beyond repair.

Clinging on to ideals and goals so much that you lash out with emotional responses with miscalculated assumptions is not good and, as far as I can tell, no one has said there is no way tor remedy the problem.

I think emotional responses are sometimes good because I shows passion and flare. I seem to remember distinctly several posts completely opposing the constitution and the Bill of Rights. Things like that don't even seem to be suggesting a problem do they? Or, I could have misunderstood their meaning, but I doubt that.