Snowden Situation

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
27-07-2013, 07:39 PM
RE: Snowden Situation
(27-07-2013 07:33 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  So you are telling me that even though the courts have said it is illegal over and over, and the president says it is illegal(even though he said it in 2007 while running for the office), and most of the public says it is illegal, it is still legal?

The Supreme Court has not said it is illegal, or else it would not be on the books.

The President's claims while not in office, and therefore not in a position of any legal authority, are insubstantial.

A statute on the books is legal unless and until it is either repealed or superseded by a subsequent statue.

That's how the law works. I wouldn't have thought that observation controversial.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
27-07-2013, 08:01 PM
lol

It's clear as day son.
Is what he did illegal? Yes.
Is what he exposed the NSA did illegal? No.

I fail to see what part of this your tiny teenage brain fails to comprehend.
Must be all the hormones.

As for the spying shit, who gives a fuck? What, you think they specifically target you. That somewhere someone is sitting behind a computer screen monitoring your actions as we speak?? How self centered are you?
No, there is so much information that it is beyond saturation, not to mention all you'd be is a serial number.
All the government can do with this information is browse for key phrases and bring up files on suspect people.
If you're just a regular American citizen then nobody is gonna care. Get over yourself dude, you're not that special to warrant that kind of attention.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
27-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Snowden Situation
(27-07-2013 07:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 07:26 PM)I and I Wrote:  People report on suspect NSA procedure often.

You claimed he shared classified info, what was this and with whom did he share it with?

People were reporting on government spying on innocent citizens long before snowden, and saying so isn't classified info.

Do you even know what classified means? You mean to say if I say " hey China, that country that was at war with you for 50 years, is your economic competitor, and is your military equal is spying on you". Are you seriously saying that I just shared secret info?

Seriously?

Are... are you serious?

There is a difference between reporting on suspected NSA procedure and reporting on actual NSA procedure.

That there is government surveillance in place is not classified information. The details of government surveillance are, security agency produce being classified almost as a matter of definition.

I do not have access to the entire store of information Snowden claims to have released. I do know that the contents were more than "espionage happens lol". He certainly claimed to have gained access to classified information; this is corroborated by what certain media outlets have reported on (protip: learn to read).

At this point I'm not sure whether you're a sublime troll, or whether you're literally incapable of understanding what other people type. I would pity you either way.

That's what I thought, you have no clue what the fuck you are talking about. You make a claim he releases classified info yet you conveniently can't list just one example.... Smells like a bullshitter.

In fact, is any government official even claiming he released classified info?
27-07-2013, 08:46 PM
(27-07-2013 08:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  lol

It's clear as day son.
Is what he did illegal? Yes.

I fail to see what part of this your tiny teenage brain fails to comprehend.

As for the spying shit, who gives a fuck? What, you think they specifically target you. That somewhere someone is sitting behind a computer screen monitoring your actions as we speak?? How self centered are you?
No, there is so much information that it is beyond saturation, not to mention all you'd be is a serial number.
All the government can do with this information is browse for key phrases and bring up files on suspect people.
If you're just a regular American citizen then nobody is gonna care. Get over yourself dude, you're not that special to warrant that kind of attention.

I give a shit. The fact that you don't care about the government spying on you is your problem but it is not a matter of option if the government can do it or not, they can't. I will fight the government spying until the day I die and will do the same for every civil liberty and right I have in the constitution. I don't give a damn if you have given up on 100% privacy and have began to forfeit your rights, I will not.

Quote:If you're just a regular American citizen then nobody is gonna care. Get over yourself dude, you're not that special to warrant that kind of attention.

It makes no difference who I am, I will not let the government try and spy on anything I do.

Quote:Is what he did illegal? Yes.

What he did was illegal but right and justified.
What the NSA is doing, while it IS technically legal, is wrong, immoral, and contradictory to the constitution. Ed Snowden is a hero for exposing these wrongful deeds of the US government, and I will always love him for it.

Quote:I fail to see what part of this your tiny teenage brain fails to comprehend.

This makes me discouraged to see a grown man attacking a teenager over something so harmless. I am a teenager but can assure you do not have a small brain, in fact it is quite oversized and I am happen to be proud of it.Big Grin

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
27-07-2013, 08:52 PM
(27-07-2013 08:42 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 07:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Are... are you serious?

There is a difference between reporting on suspected NSA procedure and reporting on actual NSA procedure.

That there is government surveillance in place is not classified information. The details of government surveillance are, security agency produce being classified almost as a matter of definition.

I do not have access to the entire store of information Snowden claims to have released. I do know that the contents were more than "espionage happens lol". He certainly claimed to have gained access to classified information; this is corroborated by what certain media outlets have reported on (protip: learn to read).

At this point I'm not sure whether you're a sublime troll, or whether you're literally incapable of understanding what other people type. I would pity you either way.

That's what I thought, you have no clue what the fuck you are talking about. You make a claim he releases classified info yet you conveniently can't list just one example.... Smells like a bullshitter.

In fact, is any government official even claiming he released classified info?

http://www.whatthefolly.com/2013/07/02/d...an-allies/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/27...63757.html

Try to be informed before spouting your nonsense.

27-07-2013, 08:53 PM
(27-07-2013 08:46 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I give a shit. The fact that you don't care about the government spying on you is your problem but it is not a matter of option if the government can do it or not, they can't. When i grow up I will fight the government spying until the day I die...

Fix't

Ya and uh huh...

You gotta lot of growing up to do.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-07-2013, 08:54 PM
(27-07-2013 08:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 08:46 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I give a shit. The fact that you don't care about the government spying on you is your problem but it is not a matter of option if the government can do it or not, they can't. When i grow up I will fight the government spying until the day I die...

Fix't

Ya and uh huh...

Explain?

27-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:I give a shit. The fact that you don't care about the government spying on you is your problem but it is not a matter of option if the government can do it or not, they can't. I will fight the government spying until the day I die and will do the same for every civil liberty and right I have in the constitution. I don't give a damn if you have given up on 100% privacy and have began to forfeit your rights, I will not.

But they can...
It's entirely legal.

You can waste your whole life then, perhaps your opinion will change when you leave home and have to actual experience the world.
It's so precious when teenagers say they're going to save the world.
Mmmk, you go do that son, you go save the world.

Quote:It makes no difference who I am, I will not let the government try and spy on anything I do.

Exactly. And it doesn't matter what you will and will not let them do, they're gonna do it anyway.

Quote:What he did was illegal but right and justified.
What the NSA is doing, while it IS technically legal, is wrong, immoral, and contradictory to the constitution. Ed Snowden is a hero for exposing these wrongful deeds of the US government, and I will always love him for it.

As you said, it was technically legal and considering that is all that matters your argument is invalid.

Quote:This makes me discouraged to see a grown man attacking a teenager over something so harmless. I am a teenager but can assure you do not have a small brain, in fact it is quite oversized and I am happen to be proud of it.Big Grin

I'm not attacking you, I'm laughing at you for being so naive.
It's adorable.

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
27-07-2013, 09:13 PM
(27-07-2013 08:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Fix't

Ya and uh huh...

Kind of a cheap shot. It's not like any one grown up has much power over the situation either. Casting a vote in a sham election is not exactly a display of power. If he wanted to join some protests, make a web site, circulate some memes etc. he could have more of an influence on the matter than you or I (provided you are not a congresswoman or something momsurrounded).

But yeah I agree technically it's been deemed legal, it should not have been, I feel it to be unconstitutional, Jimmy Carter has gone through an extra pack of depends over it....but it was deemed legal. Like it or not Elegant it's an uphill battle and 'it be some bullshit aight.'

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
27-07-2013, 09:18 PM
(27-07-2013 09:13 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 08:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Fix't

Ya and uh huh...

Kind of a cheap shot. It's not like any one grown up has much power over the situation either. Casting a vote in a sham election is not exactly a display of power. If he wanted to join some protests, make a web site, circulate some memes etc. he could have more of an influence on the matter than you or I (provided you are not a congresswoman or something momsurrounded).

But yeah I agree technically it's been deemed legal, it should not have been, I feel it to be unconstitutional, Jimmy Carter has gone through an extra pack of depends over it....but it was deemed legal. Like it or not Elegant it's an uphill battle and 'it be some bullshit aight.'

And if it was illegal and some terrorists did some terrorist attack that killed a shit load of people and it was discovered they used the interwebz to communicate it'll be bullshit that the FBI didn't know and stop them in time.

Seriously, you're all a bunch of hypocritical wieners.
"ohh boohoo the terrorists are operating within in the US and fucking up our little world and the government aren't doing anything about it"
"ohh boohoo the government is doing something about it"

Sure, there is a line between sacrificing freedoms and protection but this hardly even comes close to crossing it...