Snuff from North Carolina

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Snuff from North Carolina
Hi I'm from North Carolina and I found this forum through Facebook. I am from a small town in the foothills of North Carolina. I started to disbelieve Christianity and all other religions once I learned about Mythology in middle school. It's tough living in the south and being an Atheist. It's always what church do you go to or do you go to church? My girlfriend is a Christian and I sometimes have to go to church with her family for a family dinner and they will tell me you need to come to church more or why don't you guys come to church? For her sake I just grin and kinda nod and agree with them but people around here would think I was a demon sinner if I told them the truth.

We just had a baby boy together April 6th and I'm currently living with her parents whom are very religious Angel and when we started dating she never told them that I was an Atheist. I have it in my information on Facebook and I have plenty of obvious answers on there. I thought they would have realized it when they would wake me up and ask me if I wanted to go to church but I guess there are Christians who do not go to church and don't want to especially my age. In the beginning of our relationship I was in her room and her mother was talking to her about her past friends and she mentioned that one of the guys seemed weird and she said I think he was an Atheist so right there I was just thinking oh great. I'm not really sure what to do but I have started to have more discussions on my Facebook with my brother who also is an Atheist and added more Atheist groups on my Facebook hoping they will realize. It's a touchy subject because they are very "Holy". Any suggestions on what else I can do? I don't really want to confront them about it but I don't like having to hide something that I am very open about to a certain extent but it's gone so far and now I'm not real sure what would happen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 12:34 AM
RE: Snuff from North Carolina
Hi and welcome.

Congrats on the baby... Buzzy times I guess?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Extremely busy but unfortunately I am still unemployed because where I live there are hardly any jobs... I'm hoping to start a manufacturing job soon until I ship out to boot camp for the Marines next year. So I have plenty of time to stay up with him and take care of him while my woman sleeps Smile
26-04-2011, 03:49 AM
It's simple. You are not hiding anything, you are just keeping your beliefs (or rather non-beliefs) to yourself and you are not pushing your atheism on anyone. So there is no reason to tell that directly to them. If they ever ask you, just tell them then. And can always just say that you do believe in some God, but not the church (making you an agnostic), because the churches are bad, they are missing the point, etc, etc... That will be easier for them to gasp at the beginning.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
26-04-2011, 04:23 AM
Well unfortunately her mother is one of my Facebook friends and since it's my Facebook I would prefer to comment on things of my choice like I did when I wasn't living with them or even with my girlfriend. I comment on the Atheist pages and discuss religion with my brother but I don't think she sees it or maybe she knows and just ignores the fact so she still has a reason to keep asking us to go to church? My girlfriend doesn't like going to church to be honest, but she claims to be a Christian she just doesn't seem very strong about it to be honest.
26-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Well, you having Facebook is your problem, I don't have it and I have no security/personal problems. So it's hard to help you out there. What you can do is close your Facebook and open some other one but not with your name, rather with some alias. Your girlfriend is normal, classical modern Christian. And now you have to decide if you are going to open and plain to everyone around you with your atheism, or are you going to keep your beliefs for yourself and present yourself in a peaceful light to your new family. That is not something we here can tell you, it is your choice and you have to decide. If it was me, I would act stupid and would not tell them I was atheist until I would have my own place to live, because it is not easy to live with someone and argue about religion all day long, I think you have far more important things to do than debate with Christians about religion, since you have a wife and a child. And it is not easy for them to disregard their beliefs, but since you lack the beliefs maybe it's easier for you to act. And you don't even need to act, you just need to understand them and throw in some Bible line form time to time, they will love for it, no matter you going to church or not.

What I'm trying to say is we all have our priorities, so find out what yours are.

And lay of FB, thats not a very good idea if you want to have some privacy and specially if you want to have a hidden part of your life, like I do. If anyone saw what am I writing about drugs and religions on Internet, my family would disown me. So it's one face for family, other for friend and Internet.

-Hunter S. Thompson
26-04-2011, 06:31 AM
(25-04-2011 11:29 PM)Snuff Wrote:  Hi I'm from North Carolina and I found this forum through Facebook. I am from a small town in the foothills of North Carolina. I started to disbelieve Christianity and all other religions once I learned about Mythology in middle school. It's tough living in the south and being an Atheist. It's always what church do you go to or do you go to church? My girlfriend is a Christian and I sometimes have to go to church with her family for a family dinner and they will tell me you need to come to church more or why don't you guys come to church? For her sake I just grin and kinda nod and agree with them but people around here would think I was a demon sinner if I told them the truth.

We just had a baby boy together April 6th and I'm currently living with her parents whom are very religious Angel and when we started dating she never told them that I was an Atheist. I have it in my information on Facebook and I have plenty of obvious answers on there. I thought they would have realized it when they would wake me up and ask me if I wanted to go to church but I guess there are Christians who do not go to church and don't want to especially my age. In the beginning of our relationship I was in her room and her mother was talking to her about her past friends and she mentioned that one of the guys seemed weird and she said I think he was an Atheist so right there I was just thinking oh great. I'm not really sure what to do but I have started to have more discussions on my Facebook with my brother who also is an Atheist and added more Atheist groups on my Facebook hoping they will realize. It's a touchy subject because they are very "Holy". Any suggestions on what else I can do? I don't really want to confront them about it but I don't like having to hide something that I am very open about to a certain extent but it's gone so far and now I'm not real sure what would happen.

I know what it's like being from this part of the country that church is the main social outlet. People don't understand or think you're amoral if you don't have a church home. I changed my status on Facebook to Agnostic and I only had one former church friend ask about it. I told her that I really more an atheist and explained why and she was okay with it. Other friends from church that want to know why I left have pretty much stopped calling. Congratulations on the baby. I've lived with the in-laws for a short period of time and even without the religious conflict it was a struggle. Hang in there. I wish I could give better advice but I'm a newbie right now.

(26-04-2011 12:40 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Extremely busy but unfortunately I am still unemployed because where I live there are hardly any jobs... I'm hoping to start a manufacturing job soon until I ship out to boot camp for the Marines next year. So I have plenty of time to stay up with him and take care of him while my woman sleeps Smile

I missed this part when I answered you before. I'm a staff sergeant in the Army Reserves based in Concord, NC. Congratulations on joining the Marines. I've been in the service for 12 years and just reenlisted. Good luck. Are you going to Paris Island?
26-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome and advice everyone, as far as I know since last night's discussion about religion with my brother on Facebook hasn't seemed to cause any problems... I think they may respect my choice. Let's just hope so!
28-04-2011, 12:47 AM
As long as you don't argue with them about yours/theirs religious beliefs, you should be ok. Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson