So...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2013, 07:31 AM
So...
So I've been thinking yet again, little far fetched this time however.

Something I've always wanted to do was ride around on a giant black widow spider.
I don't care that it's silly and stupid, I wanna do it.

So I've been thinking recently, would it actually even be possible with todays technology and what we know about selective breeding and farming etc.. that we could actually breed:
a) A giant black widow spider.
b) A tamable giant black widow spider.
c) Give it to me to ride around on.

Which I have decided poses three key questions:
1) Is it possible for insects to grow to a very large size without their exoskeleton crushing themselves?
2) With size comes brain size too, but will it's brain grow to a level of which it could be domesticated?
3) How do you saddle a giant black widow spider?

So I pose these questions to you TTA.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2013, 07:36 AM
RE: So...
when giant spiders are created I am jumping off a cliff. The little ones now damn near give me a heart attack when I see them.

and they are literally fucking everywhere.

hate spiders, hate them, hate them, hate them.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
20-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Safe to say I wont be riding around to visit then?

20-05-2013, 07:44 AM
One look at a giant spider and I would fall over and die. My 7 year old daughter helps to cover my eyes in the Harry Potter movies. I took them to see Charlotte's Web with friends, I spent the whole movie with my eyes covered. LOL.

just talking about this is making my skin crawl.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
20-05-2013, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2013 07:47 AM by Full Circle.)
Are you off your meds? Blink

You gotta watch this video Laughat, perhaps you can crossbreed a Black Widow to a Huntsman spider and start nuking it with irradiation to see what happens.

http://arthropoda.wordpress.com/2010/01/...upperware/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-05-2013, 07:55 AM
I don't see why you would want a giant black widow as a mount.

First, I suppose it could be possible to breed black widows to be of ever increasing size until they could A) not be crushed by their own weight and B) be mountable..
However, I get the feeling that the second you mount one, the exoskeleton would snap and shatter like thin glass. Insect and arachnid skin is usually made up of chitin, which is very brittle, if I remember correctly. Too much pressure or weight and it'd crack like nobodies business...

Arachnid brains are pretty simple, I think. I doubt it would be the size of the brain, but rather the complexity of the brain itself and the chemical make-up of its brain that would determine intelligence overall intelligence potential.
...And how would one be able to test for, and thus select for, intelligence of a spider to begin with?

I doubt you could saddle a giant spider of any variety without it being needlessly complicated.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-05-2013, 07:58 AM
(20-05-2013 07:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  You gotta watch this video Laughat,

NO!

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Censored

Did I mention...

NONONONONONONONONO!!!!! Angry

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
20-05-2013, 08:03 AM
(20-05-2013 07:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Are you off your meds? Blink

You gotta watch this video Laughat, perhaps you can crossbreed a Black Widow to a Huntsman spider and start nuking it with irradiation to see what happens.

http://arthropoda.wordpress.com/2010/01/...upperware/

That trolling Huntsman.

Even though I know they can't really hurt humans, I can imagine reaching the same way as he did.

I am surprised he didn't know the Fundamental Rule of spider catching though.. "Don't attack from beneth, it leaves you open and easy prey for the spiders counter offensive, strike from above."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-05-2013, 08:04 AM
1) Is it possible for insects to grow to a very large size without their exoskeleton crushing themselves?

Good question. I'm gonna need some coffee.

The main thing about the structure is pumping fluids, mainly water & blood, to the legs to get them to work. If a spider loses too much body water, it can't generate the necessary hydraulic pressure to push its legs out. This is why you sometimes see spiders on their backs with their legs curled up. So, the spider needs to get bigger and the way they do this is molting.

For a spider to get big enough for you to ride, it would take a shit load of water and blood - and it's exoskeleton would need to be either made of stronger stuff -like steel OR Consider the cuticle would need to be tweaked genetically to provide a more efficient structural integrity. Let's say... something like a hexagon structure rather than the current long, layered grains of cuticle material.

I suppose it's do-able... in a genetically-Frankenstein sort of way but I personally think spiders lose a lot in the molting stage. I think by the end of their lives, they get a little bit crazy after having been brought to the brink of hypothermia during so many times of molting. I think we're talking about accumulative brain damage here.

It's up to you if you want to ride a giant, senile spider around - I personally wouldn't want to risk it. AND I think it's just taking advantage of the elderly - and that would me off. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-05-2013, 08:05 AM
(20-05-2013 07:55 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't see why you would want a giant black widow as a mount.

First, I suppose it could be possible to breed black widows to be of ever increasing size until they could A) not be crushed by their own weight and B) be mountable..
However, I get the feeling that the second you mount one, the exoskeleton would snap and shatter like thin glass. Insect and arachnid skin is usually made up of chitin, which is very brittle, if I remember correctly. Too much pressure or weight and it'd crack like nobodies business...

Arachnid brains are pretty simple, I think. I doubt it would be the size of the brain, but rather the complexity of the brain itself and the chemical make-up of its brain that would determine intelligence overall intelligence potential.
...And how would one be able to test for, and thus select for, intelligence of a spider to begin with?

I doubt you could saddle a giant spider of any variety without it being needlessly complicated.

It's brittle sure, but as it got big it would become thick too.
They're pretty easy to crush because they're so small.
Multiply it by X amount and it may become very hard indeed.

Yea I was thinking more about the brain issue, I was reminded of the Brontosaurus.
Extremely large dinosaurs but they had very small simplistic brains.

I suppose the question then becomes why are mammals the ones with this complex brain, yet other animals such as insects seem to appear purely eating and breeding?
And yea, how would you determine intelligence of a spider? Simple food tests I would imagine. Go through this hole get food, go through that hole don't get foo sort of tests.

Bluetac? (for the saddle)