So..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2014, 01:37 AM
So..
Is smoke a solid or a gas?

I don't want googles answers, I'm interested in what people think on this without google.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2014, 01:43 AM
RE: So..
It's gasses, liquids, and solid particles that are released through the chemical change of a material - the chemical change being combustion.

My words might not be accurate - I'm old and so is my science vocabulary. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-04-2014, 02:21 AM
My un-fact-checked answer is:
Smoke is a collection of organic molecules, gas and small solid particles ranging in size. It is carried upwards from a flame in a convection current which is gaseous and is drawn from below the flame. The current draws the products of combustion as well as unburned or uncombustible material up and away from the flame. The flame is also a partial plasma and leaves a quantity of ionised material within the smoke trail. This material can be separated by putting a voltage across the smoke trail, in which case the trail will tend to divide with positive ions moving towards the negative plate and vice versa.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-04-2014, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2014 04:42 AM by sporehux.)
Smoke is a little of everything (solids/liquid/gas, but mostly id call it a particulate (matter in the form of minute separate particles.).
"smoke" is a little vague and could be considered just a description rather than something tangible.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
20-04-2014, 10:36 AM
It could be an alarm, a message or a sign that someone is having fun. Depends on the smoke

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
20-04-2014, 03:48 PM
(20-04-2014 01:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is smoke a solid or a gas?

I don't want googles answers, I'm interested in what people think on this without google.

As far as I understand it, it's both. And neither.

The smoke from a fire is generally comprised of two major things; CO2 and amorphous carbon (unburned, non-transformed hydrocarbons). Naturally, the CO2 is a gas, but the Amorphous carbon is a solid.

What we recognise as smoke is strictly speaking a system comprised of two states, gas and solid, and has no independent state of it's own, only those of its components.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-04-2014, 07:51 AM
If you collected smoke in a bottle, capped it, then left it alone for awhile at room temperature all the constituents of smoke that made it visible would settle to the bottom, leaving a solid sedimentary layer of dust and carbon; a composite gas would evenly fill the remaining space, air and whatever gaseous molecules were in the smoke. So while smoke is still smoke it's a roiling mixture of gases and solids, not really one or the other.

Likewise is gloppy mud a solid or a liquid? While gloppy it's mostly water with dirt particles, so behaves as a liquid. As the water evaporates the constituent proportions invert, turning the mud into solid dirt with a few water molecules. The interesting question is at what proportion does the transition from liquid to solid put the mud in neither state - or is the transition abrupt, going instantly from one to the next?

And what would you call burning mud - gloppy smoke? Tongue
21-04-2014, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2014 08:36 AM by Bucky Ball.)
The real question here is :
What is Muff's vapor pressure ?
To calculate Muff's vapor pressure, you may use the following equation :
log P = A- (B/ (C+T))
and it can be transformed into this temperature dependent form :
T = B - (A-log P) - C
where: P is the absolute vapor pressure of Muffs
T is the temperature of Muffsy Boo Boo
A, B and C are substance-specific coefficients (i.e., constants or parameters)
log is typically either log_10 or log_e

I bet you didn't know Muffs had a vapor pressure. Yes Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-04-2014, 08:12 AM
(21-04-2014 08:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The real question here is :
What is Muff's vapor pressure ?
To calculate Muff's vapor pressure, you may use the following equation :
log P = A- (B/ (C+T))
and it can be transformed into this temperature dependent form :
T = B - (A-log P) - C
where: P is the absolute vapor pressure of Muffs
T is the temperature of Muffsy Boo Boo
A, B and C are substance-specific coefficients (i.e., constants or parameters)
log is typically either log_10 or log_e

I bet you didn't know Muff's had a vapor pressure. Yes Weeping

... That looks a lot like gibberish.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-04-2014, 08:19 AM
From where does this smoke arrise that so fascinates earmuffs?

I gather he indulges in, smoking.... Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.