(21-04-2014 08:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The real question here is :
What is Muff's vapor pressure ?
To calculate Muff's vapor pressure, you may use the following equation :
log P = A- (B/ (C+T))
and it can be transformed into this temperature dependent form :
T = B - (A-log P) - C
where: P is the absolute vapor pressure of Muffs
T is the temperature of Muffsy Boo Boo
A, B and C are substance-specific coefficients (i.e., constants or parameters)
log is typically either log_10 or log_e

I bet you didn't know Muff's had a vapor pressure. Yes Weeping

... That looks a lot like gibberish.

Muffs is (partly) a gas. Just sayin'.
But we already knew that, I suppose.
Carry on.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-04-2014, 08:50 AM
RE: So..
My last laptop was powered by smoke, it all leaked out one day and subsequently stopped working.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
21-04-2014, 11:11 AM
(21-04-2014 07:51 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  If you collected smoke in a bottle, capped it, then left it alone for awhile at room temperature all the constituents of smoke that made it visible would settle to the bottom, leaving a solid sedimentary layer of dust and carbon; a composite gas would evenly fill the remaining space, air and whatever gaseous molecules were in the smoke. So while smoke is still smoke it's a roiling mixture of gases and solids, not really one or the other.

Likewise is gloppy mud a solid or a liquid? While gloppy it's mostly water with dirt particles, so behaves as a liquid. As the water evaporates the constituent proportions invert, turning the mud into solid dirt with a few water molecules. The interesting question is at what proportion does the transition from liquid to solid put the mud in neither state - or is the transition abrupt, going instantly from one to the next?

And what would you call burning mud - gloppy smoke? Tongue

But if you captured steam in a jar and shut the lid it would cool and form water.
Doesn't mean the steam is a liquid.

And with the mud, you need to evaporate the water first which is changing the material. If we're talking about just gloppy mud I would say it's a liquid. Glass is considered a liquid (if I remember correctly) despite obviously being solid. But you'll find that on old (like early 1900's) glass in windows, the bottom is thicker and the top is thin because over the years it has very slowly sunk down.

Quote:The real question here is :
What is Muff's vapor pressure ?
To calculate Muff's vapor pressure, you may use the following equation :
log P = A- (B/ (C+T))
and it can be transformed into this temperature dependent form :
T = B - (A-log P) - C
where: P is the absolute vapor pressure of Muffs
T is the temperature of Muffsy Boo Boo
A, B and C are substance-specific coefficients (i.e., constants or parameters)
log is typically either log_10 or log_e

I bet you didn't know Muffs had a vapor pressure. Yes Weeping

The answer is 5.

Quote:From where does this smoke arrise that so fascinates earmuffs?

I gather he indulges in, smoking.... Tongue

I don't smoke.
My friend was playing a video game (Infamous) and one of the characters powers is "smoke". He asked me if it was considered a gas or solid so I posed the question to you because I had no idea and it got me thinking.

Quote:It's gasses, liquids, and solid particles that are released through the chemical change of a material - the chemical change being combustion.

My words might not be accurate - I'm old and so is my science vocabulary. Dodgy

That's pretty much exactly what wikipedia said.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
21-04-2014, 11:32 AM
(21-04-2014 11:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 07:51 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  If you collected smoke in a bottle, capped it, then left it alone for awhile at room temperature all the constituents of smoke that made it visible would settle to the bottom, leaving a solid sedimentary layer of dust and carbon; a composite gas would evenly fill the remaining space, air and whatever gaseous molecules were in the smoke. So while smoke is still smoke it's a roiling mixture of gases and solids, not really one or the other.

Likewise is gloppy mud a solid or a liquid? While gloppy it's mostly water with dirt particles, so behaves as a liquid. As the water evaporates the constituent proportions invert, turning the mud into solid dirt with a few water molecules. The interesting question is at what proportion does the transition from liquid to solid put the mud in neither state - or is the transition abrupt, going instantly from one to the next?

And what would you call burning mud - gloppy smoke? Tongue

But if you captured steam in a jar and shut the lid it would cool and form water.
Doesn't mean the steam is a liquid.

Facepalm

[Image: sigvacachica.png]