So.. Destiny 2 huh?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2017, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2017 08:40 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: So.. Destiny 2 huh?
I am... cautiously optimistic. I want every game to be good, who wouldn't? I've enjoyed loot shooters in the past, and ones with RNG mechanics (Borderlands, PAYDAY, The Division). So if Destiny 2 turns out to be a well optimized game with a healthy community, and they're managed to get a grasp on my personal biggest loot-shooter pet peeve (extreme bullet sponges)? I could be very interested. The nearly 2 month later PC release, and the Digital Foundry video, bodes well for the game's performance at least.

Ironically enough I've lost interest in the prior loot-shooters because either they had very unsatisfying late-games (Borderland's bullet sponges), the developers turned out to be shit-heads (Gearbox's Randy Pitchford is an douche-canoe, and fuck adding microtransation to a 2 year old game Overkill), or I became fundamentally disgusted with the game's entire premise (The Division has you basically playing as American versions of Nazi SS).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2017, 09:28 PM
As far as loot-shooters go, Destiny is certainly one of the better ones.
The raids, for example, aren't just bulletsponge's, there is actual mechanics and teamwork required.
05-09-2017, 06:39 AM
I played quite a bit of Destiny. Really liked the mechanics and weapons. Two things really bothered me though. The grinding was horrible. To get certain things you had to do the same missions or visit the same places over and over and over and over again. Got to the point where I was asking myself whether I had the patience to keep grinding seemingly for the sake of grinding. Then the raids. They were fun, but I never really had many opportunities to carve out 2-5 hours straight. Bad part is, that's where the best gear was to be found. In fact, I never even played the last two raids because of the time restrictions.

Can't wait until I'm an old man, kids out of the house, and nothing to distract me. But by then it'll all be VR and my body won't be able to handle it anymore!!!

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
18-09-2017, 02:44 PM
(02-09-2017 11:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Not gonna get it. I 100% was but now.. nah. Not because of the game or anything they've done, I just don't wanna play it.
Can't pin point why.

earmuffs,

Understood. Destiny is a cool shooter but where is the heart? Where is Cortana?

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
18-09-2017, 03:32 PM
(18-09-2017 02:44 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 11:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Not gonna get it. I 100% was but now.. nah. Not because of the game or anything they've done, I just don't wanna play it.
Can't pin point why.

earmuffs,

D.

Micro-Transactions are the heart. Selling you random 1 use shaders.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
19-09-2017, 02:44 AM
(18-09-2017 02:44 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
Can't pin point why.

earmuffs,

D.

Right!
I think that's why Halo's story is so so much better than Destiny's. Halo had really good characters. Cortana, Chief, Arbitor etc.. But particularly Cortana and Chief and their relationship. Halo's multiplayer is also far far superior. They're obviously different games though. Halo is a single player story driven single player campaign + a competitive multiplayer. Destiny has gone far more for that "addicting" mmo play where it's just grinding for better gear and doing weekly scheduled shit.

I think that's why I don't wanna play it. I don't see a purpose to it. It's a waste of time. I'd rather just play another game with a really good story to work through (such as Divinity Original Sin 2 right now). And if I want that competitive itch I can play Halo 5 multiplayer or League of Legends and work on improving my skills at those games. To me that's far more progressive, you're actually working on achieving something. Getting to 270 light level in Destiny by grinding out strikes or public events or whatever... so what? That's not achieving anything, you're not gaining anything. You're getting to 270 for the sake of getting to 270. You're not getting better at a competitive multiplayer game (which I would see as similar to someone getting better at say playing football, similar ballpark. Different skills obviously, but same principle). You're not enjoying a rich engrossing story. You're just grinding for the sake of being able to grind more.

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across.
I think in short what I'm trying to say is that I want more out of my games and Destiny is just another clash of clans.
21-09-2017, 12:50 AM
(19-09-2017 02:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Right!
I think that's why Halo's story is so so much better than Destiny's. Halo had really good characters. Cortana, Chief, Arbitor etc.. But particularly Cortana and Chief and their relationship.

While I think Halo has an interesting meta-narrative, Master Chief is not a compelling character. At all. Name a compelling character trait for the Chief that is not 'stoic'.

He doesn't have any.

Players were invested in the fate of Cortana precisely because she had the single biggest piece of personality in the whole series, and her 'relationship' with the Chief is really a stand in for her relationship with the player. There's really nothing to her and the Chief, but fans by and large inserted themselves into the Chief (because he's such an utterly empty vessel otherwise), and were invested in their own relationship by proxy with Cortana.

In the same way that Gordon Freeman is not a compelling character in Half-LifeĀ², but Alyx Vance is. Mr. Crowbar there is 'stoic' at most, while Alyx has all of the fun personality.

[Image: gordon-freeman-with-his-ants.jpg]

21-09-2017, 07:33 AM
I didn't say he was compelling, I said he was a good character. I think he was good for the reasons you mentioned. He's a stoic, selfless hero type.
The fact that he's an emotionless husk is what I think adds to Cortana's character. I think also Chiefs history is really good.

He's by no means the best character in video game history (that's Geralt, obviously, I think we can both mostly agree to that). But in comparison to pretty much all FPS games, like Battlefield or CoD or Destiny or whatever he's by far the best and Halo has by far the best world and extended lore etc..
21-09-2017, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 09:34 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(21-09-2017 07:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I didn't say he was compelling, I said he was a good character.

What? I'd consider compelling a prerequisite for good, at bare minimum.

(21-09-2017 07:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think he was good for the reasons you mentioned. He's a stoic, selfless hero type.
The fact that he's an emotionless husk is what I think adds to Cortana's character. I think also Chiefs history is really good.

He's as good of a character as a blank slate, which is to say, he has only as much character as you imagine and insert on your own. Chief is not a good character because of anything in the games, people like him because of what they've invested into him precisely because he is so utter bereft of character. That doesn't make him a good character.

Master Chief is an empty vessel inhabiting an interesting world, and in interesting world does not make Chief a good character.

(21-09-2017 07:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  He's by no means the best character in video game history (that's Geralt, obviously, I think we can both mostly agree to that). But in comparison to pretty much all FPS games, like Battlefield or CoD or Destiny or whatever he's by far the best and Halo has by far the best world and extended lore etc..

If Chief is your personal high water mark, then clearly you have missed a lot of the genre.

Jackie Estacado - The Darkness II

[Image: artsy-image.jpg]

An orphan adopted into a mafia family, he inherited a terrible cosmic power on his 21st birthday, the same night his family turned on him. While it gave him the power to kill his would be assassins, he was still powerless to stop them from killing the one person he cared about, a lifelong childhood friend and fellow orphanage resident Jenny. After killing his way to the top of the mafia family, Jackie buried his powers deep inside, spending the next two years emotionally destroying himself over failing to protect Jenny. Until an attempt on his life by a cult seeking to steal the Darkness away from him, forces him to unleash it to save himself. He then embarks on a road of revenge, to get to the bottom of the cult before it kills him, all the while taunted by the Darkness he tenuously controls and haunted by visions of Jenny. This culminates in Jackie learning that Jenny is trapped in Hell, and staging a one man assault to free her from her suffering, only in the end to lose her as she is taken as a host by the Angelus (the cosmic yin to the Darkness' yang), and leaves Jackie stranded in hell.

B.J. Blazkowicz - Wolfenstein: The New Order

[Image: 980_510254528.jpg]

B.J. is a man of action, a patriot, who believes in the American dream and will die to protect it. He hates Nazis, and everything they stand for, and he's really good at killing them. But his story is also a personal one, seeking revenge against Deathshead, the mad scientist behind the Nazi's advanced super weapons who had escaped him years prior. Severely wounded and tossed into the ocean during a failed Normandy invasion, he's rescued by chance and spends the next decade in a state of catatonia in a Polish asylum; one the Nazis regularly raid for test subjects. When the Nazis eventual run out of use for the place, they try to kill everyone inside, breaking B.J. free from the prison of his mind and unleashing his fury upon the Third Reich. He rescues, and falls in love with, the nurse who took care of him in the asylum; and they embark on an adventure of revenge for their shared loss, to kill the man singularly responsible for so much death and suffering, Dr. Wilhelm 'Deathshead' Strasse.

The Doom Slayer - DOOM (2016)

[Image: 5295415-1057531741-2671..jpg]

No, this is not a joke. While there is little characterization to the titular Doom Marine, what little there is executed perfectly, and without a single word of dialogue. DOOM is a master class in character expression. There are demons from hell, he has a shotgun, and he's going to cut a bloody path through hell's legions or die trying. He is angry, gives less than zero fucks about the U.A.C. and their desire to mine Hell for humanity's energy needs, and he has nothing but contempt for anything that gets in his way.

Ajay Ghale - Far Cry 4

[Image: 2MHvV4k.jpg]

A person caught in the right place at the wrong time. A son just looking to honor his mother's final wish, and return her ashes to a specific location in her homeland. He finds himself swept up in machinations beyond his control, and trust into the middle of a rebellion; itself often being pulled is disparate directions by it own leaders. Trapped in a situation he mostly cannot control, he tries his best to help out the common people in their fight for independence from the narcissistic, tyrannical, and seemingly unhinged Pagan Min. Ajay is a good guy trying to make his best out of a utterly fucked up situation, and avoids the descent into overt Heart of Darkness territory that his predecessor Jason Brodey in Far Cry 3 did not.

Captain Martin Walker - Spec Ops: The Line

[Image: sotl_blog-15191-cropped.jpg]

Quite possibly the ballsiest game ever published by a major publisher (2K in this case). This is what you get when you give a franchise to an eager developer chomping at the bit, and give them a blank check when it comes to content. This is also hands-down the best Nolan North (the guy who voices Nathan Drake in the Uncharted series, and dozens upon dozens of other characters you know and love) performance of his career to date. To say any more would be to give it away.

But if you don't mind spoilers, then watch these.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Quote:What? I'd consider compelling a prerequisite for good, at bare minimum.

I disagree. There are other factors to consider. Like you said, he's a husk and so people can project themselves onto him and immerse themselves in the game.
I'd consider that good thing and thus Chief a good character because it allows you to do that. Though I don't see him as simply just an empty husk, he is more than that.

Quote:If Chief is your personal high water mark, then clearly you have missed a lot of the genre.

"But in comparison to pretty much all FPS games, like Battlefield or CoD or Destiny or whatever"

That being multiplayer fps games with a single player campaign thrown in.

Obviously, a game that's single player focused is going to have a more compelling campaign then one that's multiplayer focused.