So Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Shocked So Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!
My friend is of the Islamic religion and today in science we were talking about space and the big bang. Later on, Our teacher how the universe was expanding and once it stopped it will slowly go back smaller into a atom that it was before. We were laughing and joking about how God put it there and I said people couldn't prove that god exist or doesn't. S he just laughed and said the Christian bible was wrong on the existence of the universe and the Quran and Torah were the only oneS right, the bible was written by old fools. I just wanted to scream at her'ALL BOOKS WERE WRITTEN BY MEN!!!!!!!!!!!'

I love my friend very dear and do respect people's religion but when they say their beliefs it sounds so absurd and stupid I just want to scream. Hopeful I got a lot of atheist friends and do take a stab at religion(ok when we have R.E...... ok sometimes)
(UK is become atheist society... YES!!)
-_-

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2011, 09:01 PM
RE: So Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!
I would suggest learning more about religion, especially Islam, if you wish to debate religion. A while ago, I read a few books by Bart Ehrman so I know more about the origin of christianity than anyone I know, including the christians.

Remember the burden of proof. If she tells you that the big bang is wrong, then that is not a justification of her religion. (Just something I remembered...)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
16-06-2011, 10:56 AM

HAHA.... This is so funny!!!

Honestly you do not need to respect religion. Just because someone has as belief, you don't need to respect it.
We all have our very rights to respect or disrespect the way somebody chooses to live his life. If you find the way someone chooses to life his/her life to be impressive and inspiring, then respect it. But if you find the way someone chooses to live his/her life to be absurd, then disrespect it. The case is different for someone born in such a way that he/she has to live his/her life in a certain way, for example born crippled.

But a way to live a life is a culture. A culture is a choice. Religion is a culture. If you find their culture/religion absurd, it is your right to disrespect it all you want. Disrespect an absurd culture as much as how you would disrespect an absurd opinion.

It is good to research about the religion to debate with these people, and yes especially Islam. I myself do not know much about Islam although I was a Muslim still living in a Muslim country.

This is what you should keep in mind: Holy books are books of beliefs, not books of facts. Book of facts are your textbooks, scientific books, encyclopedias which are referenced to papers and journals based on research and experiments. If you don't trust the media, then check their references. If you don't trust the references check out the papers themselves. If you don't trust the results in the papers, carry out the research and experiment themselves. But why go that far. The scientific community and the media who publish articles and books on scientific findings can be trusted. Of course once in a while we get frauds, but in general the do not have ulterior motives behind their findings.

Unlike the political media. I trust this the least as politics is all about ulterior motives. And historical texts may be inaccurate either, because history is written by the victors and may have ulterior motives behind their writings.

Holy books on the other hand, has nothing to reference to. It is not a book of fact. It's a book of claims and myths. Fuck them assholes.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SubmissionToScience's post
16-06-2011, 04:04 PM
You should have told him POIDH.
Also, the Big Crunch Theory is no longer part of mainstream physics I believe.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2011, 03:44 PM
(16-06-2011 10:56 AM)SubmissionToScience Wrote:  HAHA.... This is so funny!!!

Honestly you do not need to respect religion. Just because someone has as belief, you don't need to respect it.
We all have our very rights to respect or disrespect the way somebody chooses to live his life. If you find the way someone chooses to life his/her life to be impressive and inspiring, then respect it. But if you find the way someone chooses to live his/her life to be absurd, then disrespect it. The case is different for someone born in such a way that he/she has to live his/her life in a certain way, for example born crippled.

But a way to live a life is a culture. A culture is a choice. Religion is a culture. If you find their culture/religion absurd, it is your right to disrespect it all you want. Disrespect an absurd culture as much as how you would disrespect an absurd opinion.

It is good to research about the religion to debate with these people, and yes especially Islam. I myself do not know much about Islam although I was a Muslim still living in a Muslim country.

This is what you should keep in mind: Holy books are books of beliefs, not books of facts. Book of facts are your textbooks, scientific books, encyclopedias which are referenced to papers and journals based on research and experiments. If you don't trust the media, then check their references. If you don't trust the references check out the papers themselves. If you don't trust the results in the papers, carry out the research and experiment themselves. But why go that far. The scientific community and the media who publish articles and books on scientific findings can be trusted. Of course once in a while we get frauds, but in general the do not have ulterior motives behind their findings.

Unlike the political media. I trust this the least as politics is all about ulterior motives. And historical texts may be inaccurate either, because history is written by the victors and may have ulterior motives behind their writings.

Holy books on the other hand, has nothing to reference to. It is not a book of fact. It's a book of claims and myths. Fuck them assholes.

thank you! thank you!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
you are so right

18-06-2011, 08:07 AM

(17-06-2011 03:44 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  thank you! thank you!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
you are so right
Oh gosh!!! I'm so flattered.... You're welcome! You're welcome!
Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2011, 01:07 PM
(18-06-2011 08:07 AM)SubmissionToScience Wrote:  
(17-06-2011 03:44 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  thank you! thank you!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
you are so right
Oh gosh!!! I'm so flattered.... You're welcome! You're welcome!
Big Grin
But what I know is they are a lot of mosques in my county(it's probably the most cultural city in England) I know there is a all girls Muslim school, it's slightly getting out of handHuhHuh:huh