So... Hi!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Wink So... Hi!
I've lurked on this forum for a bit and then decided to subscribe, even though I had some trouble with the term "atheist" in the beginning - thinking it meant not to believe mainly in a christian concept of an invisible man... living in the sky... (gotta love George Carlin). However, I do consider myself as a non-believer (in any god, creature, ghost or whatever) I am either out and proud (atheist) or just give a damn (agnostic).

I don't have much of a horror story like others I've read, even though I was raised in a catholic country. My parents were not extremely religious, it seems that it was more just to fit in. But since my parents only had civil marriage, it got us in trouble with the local churches from time to time, when it came to baptism and communion. When I was a kid, I did somehow believe, but not the way most adults around me did. I always had a very special eye on the virgin Mary, and I couldn't get my eyes off the nuns, even wanting to become one. I'm glad that phase was over quickly, I'm not sure what would have happened if that innocent childish admiration would have turned into something more as a grown up (lesbian) woman.
Back to topic though, I remember being always kinda grumpy because all people would talk about is the (male) god with his son and their drinking buddy... eh, holy ghost. Despite of all, I was kinda astonished that adults would believe that someone would wake up from the dead, do miracles (anywhere but here) and turn water into booze and buns, while I've realized at the age of 4 that there is no Santa Claus and Easter bunny.
But since everyone else kinda believed, I did too, or at least acted as if. At the age of 10, I already started to see all the flaws and some stupidly illogical bible stories: So what, there's Heaven up there? But wait, when you go all the way up to space, it'a all damn dark with a few sparkling stars, planets, galaxies... and far more interesting things than some boring blue skies with white clouds or some underground bunker with lava puking volcanos in it. Within a few years, I managed to debunk each bible story I stumbled upon until I could finally say: I don't believe in god or any higher power, all of this is BS and it's a shame that grown up people still think all of this is true.

To me religion is one big mass psychosis with self-destructive tendencies and highly submissive/masochistic behavior. But I learned quickly not to say it out too loud, because it would p*ss off some folks. Not that it would bother me, but any kind of discussion, no matter how objective and diplomatic, it wouldn't go anywhere. I can't change them, and so be it, but they better not try that on me either. I came across the word "atheist/agnostic" when I was older and I didn't hide that I am one. Yet I never really had anyone to share my views with, nor I have met many who thought like me and I could really talked to. I was undergoing this process all of my own and now I wanna catch up on some conversations I never had back then. That's why I joined this forum.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2013, 01:02 PM
RE: So... Hi!
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
03-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Welcome pxlgirl! There are plenty of conversations to be had and some of them might actually be interesting[Image: beerchug.gif]
03-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Welcome!

I, too, wanted (or thought I wanted) to become a nun when I was in my teens and was still religious. Thank god (or someoneWink) that even then I knew I liked this sinful old world too much (and that I'm also prone to get bored with things).

Also - same negative connotations of the word atheist for me. Thankfully - they are no more.

I hope you enjoy your time here and get to have those conversations you missed out on (I lost my religion on my own, too, but that how I prefer to do things anyway...)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
03-01-2013, 01:12 PM
(03-01-2013 01:01 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  I've lurked on this forum for a bit and then decided to subscribe, even though I had some trouble with the term "atheist" in the beginning - thinking it meant not to believe mainly in a christian concept of an invisible man... living in the sky... (gotta love George Carlin). However, I do consider myself as a non-believer (in any god, creature, ghost or whatever) I am either out and proud (atheist) or just give a damn (agnostic).

I don't have much of a horror story like others I've read, even though I was raised in a catholic country. My parents were not extremely religious, it seems that it was more just to fit in. But since my parents only had civil marriage, it got us in trouble with the local churches from time to time, when it came to baptism and communion. When I was a kid, I did somehow believe, but not the way most adults around me did. I always had a very special eye on the virgin Mary, and I couldn't get my eyes off the nuns, even wanting to become one. I'm glad that phase was over quickly, I'm not sure what would have happened if that innocent childish admiration would have turned into something more as a grown up (lesbian) woman.
Back to topic though, I remember being always kinda grumpy because all people would talk about is the (male) god with his son and their drinking buddy... eh, holy ghost. Despite of all, I was kinda astonished that adults would believe that someone would wake up from the dead, do miracles (anywhere but here) and turn water into booze and buns, while I've realized at the age of 4 that there is no Santa Claus and Easter bunny.
But since everyone else kinda believed, I did too, or at least acted as if. At the age of 10, I already started to see all the flaws and some stupidly illogical bible stories: So what, there's Heaven up there? But wait, when you go all the way up to space, it'a all damn dark with a few sparkling stars, planets, galaxies... and far more interesting things than some boring blue skies with white clouds or some underground bunker with lava puking volcanos in it. Within a few years, I managed to debunk each bible story I stumbled upon until I could finally say: I don't believe in god or any higher power, all of this is BS and it's a shame that grown up people still think all of this is true.

To me religion is one big mass psychosis with self-destructive tendencies and highly submissive/masochistic behavior. But I learned quickly not to say it out too loud, because it would p*ss off some folks. Not that it would bother me, but any kind of discussion, no matter how objective and diplomatic, it wouldn't go anywhere. I can't change them, and so be it, but they better not try that on me either. I came across the word "atheist/agnostic" when I was older and I didn't hide that I am one. Yet I never really had anyone to share my views with, nor I have met many who thought like me and I could really talked to. I was undergoing this process all of my own and now I wanna catch up on some conversations I never had back then. That's why I joined this forum.
Welcome. There is a lot of opportunity to discuss and to learn here.

You can also rant, shout, piss and moan. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
(03-01-2013 01:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  You can also rant, shout, piss and moan. Big Grin
But only two of those at a time. Or three at the most, if you're Chas Drinking Beverage

03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome... and wow, I can swear here?? Now that's fucking awesome! Ya know, most forums would filter such things. Big Grin

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
[+] 4 users Like pxlgirl's post
03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Welcome! Glad you grew out of the phase of joining the Jesus Squad. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
03-01-2013, 01:20 PM
(03-01-2013 01:16 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  I can swear here?? Now that's fucking awesome! Ya know, most forums would filter such things. Big Grin
Can? You are required to. One of the forum rules. People get banned for not swearing enough almost every day Angel

03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh, I gotta figure out how the quoting works, but I just wanted to say, it was not the Jesus squad, rather the Mary squad. Wink

[+] 2 users Like pxlgirl's post