So I did a 5k mudrun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2017, 06:42 PM
So I did a 5k mudrun
In December (I think) a friend of mine put a post into a group on Facebook where only some specific friends are in. He was posting about the Mayhem mudrun and if anybody wanted to participate with him.
He wrote about the obstacles and mud and I was sold. I am a big child really. When I was little, I liked playgrounds, still like them but I am now too big and old for it.

So I was sold! Yay mudrun. Dirt, fresh air, climbing stuff, etc.
The one thing I kinda ignored or deemed to not be a priority is the running part.
5k eh, I am not trained, but that's fine, I'll walk the thing, things are good.
So what I did to "train" a bit for it was just some basic stuff. Some pushups, crunches, squads. That's it. I cycle every day so I was like, yea I am fit enough.

Laughat Laughat Laughat

So my friends and I met at 8am and did the 2 hours drive to Tipperary where the Mayhem mudrun takes place.
It was -1 decree celsius (I think about 30 Farenheit?) when we got there.
And because I am smart and read the instructions on their website, I was wearing layered breathable clothing, water proof socks, a hat, a scarf. All good I am set

Laughat Laughat Laughat

We made a group photo of course!
Then we went to the warm up area.
An intense warm up was provided by the kind people of mayhem.
The warm up is supposed to be 10 minutes. Ours (first group of the day) was about 30. I think they were stalling. Maybe something wasn't ready on the track.
Well I certainly didn't feel the -1 anymore.
I was now warm, excited, and exhausted.
This warm up alone is more excersize that I have done in months (excluding my daily cycling)
So we started. And I am lucky to have these friends. They are absolute team players, no question about that. We start as a team we finish as a team period.
So we jog to the first obstacle.
Cool beans.
They jog, I walk to the second obstacle.
Cool beans.
I forget how breathing works and walk on slowly.
My friends: "Leela don't stop running, your muscles will get cold"
Me: "I can't run anymore."
Ripped friend falls back to walk with me "You can do this Leela, don't stop, let's go, let's do this"
Third obstacle > wade in the water (WAAADE IN THE WATER JEEEESUS)
My "water proof" seal socks start collecting the water and they sure wanna keep that water.
100 m later, we get out of the water, the water comes with me inside my water proof socks. Yes those sock sure a water proof... Wrong way around but who is counting right?
My legs are now very heavy... Damn are my legs heavy. and fucking cold. and I really cannot run more now.
I tell my friends, go ahead and run, i wait here until you come around and continue with you from there.
Italian friend: "keep moving Leela or your muscles get cold"
Ripped friend: "Just don't stay still Leela or your muscles get cold"
Leela nods and stops moving as the friends run the loop.
Leela cools down.
Leela completely forgot how breathing works.
Leela is thirsty.
Leela is standing in the sun, in the middle of a field, getting colder.
Leela forgets how legs feel.
Leela watches a puddle blitz freeze.
Leela hates self because of not listening to friends.
Laughat Laughat Laughat
So they come around and I am reasonably warmed up from seal socks that surely warm up the water they hold and from the sun combined with black clothing.
Ok let's run.
I run about 50 meters, I jog 50 more. I walk because legs are heavy and muscles frozen.
Ripped friend falls back again "Leela you can do this. Just keep going!"
I love ripped friend very much and try to keep moving. Somewhat successfully as I walk about the speak of a fucking snail but whatever, I will finish this shit.
Laughat Laughat Laughat
Next obstacle.
My legs are frozen and I cannot stretch them out to climb anymore.
I skip the obstacle and walk to the next.
My legs are frozen and I cannot stretch them out to climb anymore.
I skip the obstacle and walk to the next one.
Easy. Step up to a hayball, step up to a thing. Jump down the other side.
My knees hate me very much, thanks.
I walk to the next obstacle and skip it. I walk to the next obstacle and skip that as well.
Next two or three obstacles are low enough for me to do them so I do them. Yay me.
There is a stand with water. I drink - this is the life!
Next obstacle, walk up a little hill, slide down into a freezing cold river. I'm in. Saw it on YouTube looks fun. Let's do it.
I do it. I hate myself. I'm very cold. I hate myself. I'm very fucking cold. What did I get myself into?! I hate myself.
Swimming to the other side, climbing out, cursing like a sailor. Maybe cursing worse than sailor. A sailor would probably blush hearing me curse right now.
Jog to the next obstacle. Some pipes to crawl through > In the fucking river.
Mind you at this point I ran, waded, swam, through this shit 4 times already.
I will not crawl through that fucking pipe, it's cold.
Wade through the water once again. Fuck I'm cold, I hate myself, my brain is freezing, fuck this shit, I paid for this?!
Facepalm Laughat Thumbsup
Two thirds done, can only get better right?
Ok let's walk some more.
Btw, ripped friend steadly stays back with me and keeps me going.
At this point, I just got so cold that my skin is getting weirdly sensitive. So when he tries to help me walk by holding my arms to keep my upper body straight up, I want to scream. My arms got so sensitive from the cold I have never felt this before. I tell him this calmly and he kindly backs off but keeps talking.
Man, I love you buddy.
I see the next obstacles coming, quickly scan what is coming up and see it is going in a loop again so I tell him to go ahead and I will wait here to wait for the group cross here again and I will continue with you guys.
So now I stand again, in the sun, trying to keep my legs and arms moving at least a bit. Though I am stiff now. I stay in the sun and try to pace up and down to get rid of the stiffness. Fuck it's cold and my clothes are wet and I'm cold.

So a while later I see my friends coming around and I walk with them to the next loop and at this point trying to do any obstacles will seriously hurt me physically due to my coldness and stiffness. So I let them loop around once again and wait in the sun right at the last corner before the end.
One of the friends is done for 5k, the other 3 are going for a second round. They must be nuts but hey whatever makes them happy right.

So the other done friend and I cross the finish line. We get a photo taken, get our stuff, and run into the hot showers which are conveniently located in a horse stable (with no horses in it of course).
They actually had hot water and me just like everybody I see coming into the shower, is just standing under the water, trying to warm up. But when the cold is so deep, the hot water doesn't do the trick. Well at least I unfreeze my body enough to be able to get my socks off (which are still full of water of course because they are water proof) so I get the socks off and empty the contents on to the floor. No one cares. i have never been in such a disgusting shower before

So we got some tea after, I made some photos and then we sat in the car and ate and talked and waited for the other three to finish. They actually finished the fucking thing in 30 minutes without me holding them back. I don't know, man.

Anyway, as of now, sitting here and writing this, All of my muscles are giving me a big fuck you. A bit earlier I was running a fever but it is gone now, I think it came from the hypothermia earlier. I drank up a lot and ate so my head is better but my body really hates me.

I will post some photos in a minute.

But yea, I guess I will train and try the Mayhem again in summer and this time actually complete it.
I think I am insane

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
11-02-2017, 06:44 PM
RE: So I did a 5k mudrun
(11-02-2017 06:42 PM)Leela Wrote:  I think I am insane

Welcome. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Yeah. Any of that would have been one big ol' NOPE from me, but especially this bit:

Quote:Next obstacle, walk up a little hill, slide down into a freezing cold river. I'm in. Saw it on YouTube looks fun. Let's do it.
I do it. I hate myself. I'm very cold. I hate myself. I'm very fucking cold. What did I get myself into?! I hate myself.

Good luck on training and trying again!
[+] 2 users Like leigh7911's post
11-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Oh I forgot to say that the toilets also were in a horse stable... And the separation between toilets and horses were hay balls, over which one particularly curious horse was watching us Big Grin

Here are photos [EDIT: or not because somehow the upload didn't work]

- Wotsefack?! -
11-02-2017, 07:20 PM
(11-02-2017 07:13 PM)Leela Wrote:  Oh I forgot to say that the toilets also were in a horse stable... And the separation between toilets and horses were hay balls, over which one particularly curious horse was watching us Big Grin

Here are photos [EDIT: or not because somehow the upload didn't work]

You're gonna show photos of that??? Gasp

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-02-2017, 04:39 AM
Here are some photos.

signs to gents showers and toilets Big Grin
[Image: IoJiDQz.jpg]

people and the warm up area / finish line
[Image: 1dNVKau.jpg]

grilled foods
[Image: Z8YJYfm.jpg]

Here is the toilet, but the horse had moved by the time.

- Wotsefack?! -