So I did a rebuttal to this guy...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 12:40 PM
RE: So I did a rebuttal to this guy...
Nice work CT.

Second one better than the first... slower more measured delivery.

I'm surprised you didn't comment on the second guy's steal from Sye Ten Brunkycat "... for an atheist to say there are no absolutes, they have to be absolutely sure ... " etc.

Absolute ... noun
vs.
Absolutely ... adverb

It's an equivocation; a word game.

For diddo's benefit (and this must be at least the third time I've highlighted this for you) try using the word 'complete' instead and see if it makes sense:

... for an atheist to say there are no completes, they have to be completely sure ...

See what I mean? Big Grin

And, CT, telling him off for interrupting you was a bit naughty when you are the one doing the editing. Funny. But naughty.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 12:12 AM
(03-09-2014 07:02 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Atheism is not a mental disorder. It stems from sin, which is human nature.

It is disrespectful and arrogant of you to keep making wild pronouncements about Atheism and Atheists. A discussion involves reading, understanding, and responding respectfully with substance. I know providing reasons and evidence isn't your favorite thing to do here on TTA, but it is necessary if you want to have an argument that is worth anything, or that might convince anyone.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 12:23 AM by Dark Phoenix.)
(03-09-2014 07:14 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Evidence, you say? What is your evidence of that?

It is fallacious to justify the nature of evidence with evidence. Your challenge is impossible without reasoning in a circle, which is what you have already done.

When you call into question the validity of reason or evidence using reason and evidence, you have already reasoned in a circle. You are impotent to answer your own challenge, and dishonest for presenting a position that has been refuted many times over. I suspect that you know better, but don't care.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
05-09-2014, 12:22 AM
(04-09-2014 11:52 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  No. Theism is the default position. Everyone knows that God exists.

Yes, you do. You are supressing the truth in your sin.

It is arrogant and disrespectful to accuse someone of dishonesty as a result of presuming knowledge of their inner thoughts. You are not behaving in a way that is acceptable or decent in this community.

If you claim you know the inner thoughts of others, please provide us with reasons to believe you, or evidence for your claim. If you do not wish to, we will continue, as we have been for some considerable time now, to ignore or refute your empty and relentlessly repeated claims.

-Karl Marx
05-09-2014, 05:05 AM
(04-09-2014 12:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Nice work CT.

Second one better than the first... slower more measured delivery.

I'm surprised you didn't comment on the second guy's steal from Sye Ten Brunkycat "... for an atheist to say there are no absolutes, they have to be absolutely sure ... " etc.

Absolute ... noun
vs.
Absolutely ... adverb

It's an equivocation; a word game.

And, CT, telling him off for interrupting you was a bit naughty when you are the one doing the editing. Funny. But naughty.
Yeah - I always go through an internal debate as to whether to engage with pre-sups like Sye and his ilk as I find them to be the most intellectually dishonest tactics available to them.

It was naughty - glad it was funny - but I figured that if they can do it why not I?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
13-09-2014, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2014 03:59 PM by true scotsman.)
(04-09-2014 11:13 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 10:17 AM)RedJamaX Wrote:  There is no such thing as "sin", only moral values, which fluctuate with time and social environment.

Atheism is the default position. As human beings, we don't believe in something until we are convinced that it is real/true. Theism is forced onto human beings at an early age, determined by what ever brand of theism is practiced by the child's parents / guardians / or primary community affiliation.

No. Theism is the default position. Everyone knows that God exists.

I don't.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick