So I found out today I'm not the "first" black sheep in the family.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2012, 02:33 PM
RE: So I found out today I'm not the "first" black sheep in the family.
(01-07-2012 04:13 AM)Vosur Wrote:  My grandfather was a convinced Nazi, even after WWII had ended. My father was raised accordingly and he went to the military to become a commanding officer. He abandoned his military career at the time he met my mother and became a Christian a few years later. Despite the fact that my grandparents didn't indoctrinate my father, he decided to do it with me.
My mother and father are both very religious. They indoctrinated me with science books, and religion. You can guess which one won.
But my sisters husband was a closet atheist, and it was nice to come over to my sisters house and hang out with him. We'd smoke cigarettes, and drink beers in the back yard relieving the stress of living in a religious society.

It was nice not being alone in the family with my atheism.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
01-07-2012, 02:55 PM
(30-06-2012 09:34 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I said, "I will never understand how any person could do such horrible things to another human being. Why do bad things happen to good people?" and he had this odd look and said, "You've always had things to say like that. You know, I never told you this till now, but your grandpa always said the same things. You remind me a lot of him. He was also an atheist like you until the day he died."

Shocking
WWII was the end of religion for a whole lot of people.
01-07-2012, 05:48 PM
The apply never falls far from the tree...and we all have seen the generational skip in play.
My grandmother was an atheist though she never came out and said it directly. When she died my mother (catholic) and the other sister-in-law (Presby) had her baptized (twice) while in a comma and prayed over by several "holy men". I wanted to do a Voo Doo thing and kill a few chickens spreading the blood all around the hospital room. That would have had the same effect.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
02-07-2012, 01:08 AM

Sounds like rebellion to me. Grandpa is atheist, so Dad becomes Christian. Dad is Christian, so son becomes atheist. And if you raise a son, he will probably become a Christian.

Let's hope your grandfather was mistaken. Otherwise it's just one accidentally conscious dirt clod giving rise to another animated dirt clod and nothing matters. If grandpa was right, you are a chemical bitching about the reaction caused in you by another chemical, and no matter how void the uinverse may be of God, that's just laughable.
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2012, 03:14 AM
(02-07-2012 01:08 AM)Egor Wrote:  Sounds like rebellion to me. Grandpa is atheist, so Dad becomes Christian. Dad is Christian, so son becomes atheist. And if you raise a son, he will probably become a Christian.

Let's hope your grandfather was mistaken. Otherwise it's just one accidentally conscious dirt clod giving rise to another animated dirt clod and nothing matters. If grandpa was right, you are a chemical bitching about the reaction caused in you by another chemical, and no matter how void the uinverse may be of God, that's just laughable.
[sarcasm]Oh you're absolutely right Egor. Clearly this just an act of rebellion and nothing else influenced each of their decisions. Yes Egor you are 100% correct, it is laughable to suggest otherwise...idiot[/sarcasm]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
02-07-2012, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2012 06:11 AM by Vosur.)
(02-07-2012 01:08 AM)Egor Wrote:  Sounds like rebellion to me. Grandpa is atheist, so Dad becomes Christian. Dad is Christian, so son becomes atheist. And if you raise a son, he will probably become a Christian.

Welcome back, Egor, are you on your period again? Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
02-07-2012, 06:19 AM
I went through my rebellious teenage phase a long time ago, but I was a Christian back then. But I was a devout and happy Christian for many years of my life. I didn't become an atheist till I actually moved away from my family and even then it was many years later. Smile
02-07-2012, 06:40 AM
*Appears in a cloud of smoke.* It's all part of God's perfect plan.* Dissapears in a cloud of smoke.*

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
My family is christian. All of them. So I guess am the only "black Sheep", but I don't really care about that.
I know many Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, actually I have friends from all huge religions.
They keep asking me why don't I believe in anything...
My muslim girlfriend(yes girlfriend, hell yes I am good I knowTongue) once said that everybody needs to believe in something because belief gives people hope and a sense in their life.
I disagree. I don't need to believe in anything to be happy. I need to KNOW.
Knowledge is gold, gold is money and and money is might. That is 40% of what you need in life. The other 60% is happiness and health.
Personally I think there is a 50% chance that a god exists.
From our first physics lesson we all know the most important thing for life.
Nothing comes from nothing. Believers say yes that's why the universe couldn't have come from nothing.
I say yes but god also couldn't.
I personally trust the BigBang more than god Tongue
But if a god exists...and this is something I know for 100%, it's not the god anyone on this earth believes in.
[+] 1 user Likes Polakmaly's post
02-07-2012, 08:12 AM
(02-07-2012 07:52 AM)Polakmaly Wrote:  Personally I think there is a 50% chance that a god exists.

But if a god exists...and this is something I know for 100%, it's not the god anyone on this earth believes in.
Does that make you a demi-deist?