So I got drunk a conference...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 11:50 AM
So I got drunk a conference...
...and was chilling with a co-worker. I'm not sure exactly how the topic came up, but in a moment of rashness I told him I was an atheist. Where I live, there aren't many of us, and those that are open about it aren't viewed very positively. Anyway, I panicked the moment the words left my lips.

His response? He offered a fist-bump and a smile and said, "I knew it! Me too!" Boy was I ever freaking relieved.

So now I have an atheist friend. Cool

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 26 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
28-09-2015, 11:57 AM
RE: So I got drunk a conference...
So cool! I would love to have more real life atheist friends. It's nice to have that sense of community and support online and irl.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
28-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I found an atheist friend this weekend too!

A photographer in the neighborhood was doing a fundraiser for a dog rescue. For a donation she comes to your house and takes a couple pictures of your dog. I found her thru the neighborhood pages on facebook.

She friended me to share the photos, and saw a bunch of posts I had re: Bernie Sanders, planned parenthood, mars, etc and was thrilled to find another liberal in the hood. She said we should start a secret club, when I joked we could meet on Sundays, and I already had one (an atheist group), well, I think we may have fallen in love even though we are both married. Laugh out load

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
28-09-2015, 12:38 PM
I can't say for sure how many of my friends and relatives would claim the formal designation of "atheist" for themselves. But the vast majority of them, whatever their personal beliefs are even more critical of organized religion than I am.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
29-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I remember having the conversation with my brother when neither of us knew about the other. So tentative, then so relieved. Good feeling.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
29-09-2015, 04:45 PM
(28-09-2015 11:50 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  ...and was chilling with a co-worker. I'm not sure exactly how the topic came up, but in a moment of rashness I told him I was an atheist. Where I live, there aren't many of us, and those that are open about it aren't viewed very positively. Anyway, I panicked the moment the words left my lips.

Did you then distract him with your little tiny nipples?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-09-2015, 07:02 PM
(29-09-2015 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:50 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  ...and was chilling with a co-worker. I'm not sure exactly how the topic came up, but in a moment of rashness I told him I was an atheist. Where I live, there aren't many of us, and those that are open about it aren't viewed very positively. Anyway, I panicked the moment the words left my lips.

Right to the heart of the matter, our Girly.

Man, I'm on the other side. Everybody I know is atheist or aggie. Undecided

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2015, 08:51 AM
(29-09-2015 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I offered, but he politely declined. I guess he wasn't as drunk as I was.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
05-10-2015, 10:29 AM
(28-09-2015 11:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  So cool! I would love to have more real life atheist friends. It's nice to have that sense of community and support online and irl.

Yeah, it's been nice that both of my sister-in-laws and their husbands aren't religious. The same is true for most of my friends at work. It would have been a lot harder for me, otherwise.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-10-2015, 10:54 AM
I don't really know what it is like to live in a place you cannot just blurt out that. I tell everyone and people still love me!

Most of my friends are atheists or call themselves agnostic.

Congrats though! Its good to have like minded friends.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post