So I got paid to watch a movie today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2013, 06:06 PM
So I got paid to watch a movie today.
It was mandatory. It made Girly cry.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2013, 06:27 PM
RE: So I got paid to watch a movie today.
Wow. I can see why it is called "Invisible war". The thought of this kind of thing going off in the armed forces would never of occurred to me.

I don't wanna watch the rest Girly, I have watched too much grim shit over the last few day's, however are they (the armed forces) taking any action to combat this??? Like setting up some sort of external department women can go to where they actually get listened to and actions taken?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Why did you have to watch this? Are you being reprogrammed by Big Brother? Or are you and EAP candidate being "helped"?

Either way, that movie is serious business.
28-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Brings upon a fear to join the service, honestly.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
28-08-2013, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2013 07:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-08-2013 06:27 PM)bemore Wrote:  Wow. I can see why it is called "Invisible war". The thought of this kind of thing going off in the armed forces would never of occurred to me.

I don't wanna watch the rest Girly, I have watched too much grim shit over the last few day's, however are they (the armed forces) taking any action to combat this??? Like setting up some sort of external department women can go to where they actually get listened to and actions taken?

Yeah, they're taking action and there's a move afoot of a bipartisan group of women in Congress pushing that "This needs to be taken outside the Chain of Command 'cause that's precisely where it has broken down." And one of the actions they're taking is everyone in DoD, civilian and military alike, has to watch this movie. I'd've preferred to watch it in private or in front of a Chaplain to verify I watched it instead of bawling like a little girl in front of my colleagues. Fortunately my colleagues know I can still sumo the shit out of them even when I cry like a baby.

(28-08-2013 06:33 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  Why did you have to watch this? Are you being reprogrammed by Big Brother? Or are you and EAP candidate being "helped"?

Either way, that movie is serious business.

I work for the Man. It's the current addition to our mandatory annual Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) training. It definitely has the desired effect, just think there's another way to achieve the same effect without me bawling like a little girl in front of my team. ... Then again, wotthehell, they might think all the more of their team leader because of it, who knows.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I've seen another full documentary on this! This little tidbit makes me want to do the same thing the last one did. As if rape wasn't bad enough, the guy chambers a round & puts the gun to the woman's head!! Run and hide, bitch, TheGulegon's coming for your BALLS!!
Execution is one thing, but maybe feeling the same level of fear as that which he put into his victims might serve that guy some good!!

28-08-2013, 07:14 PM
(28-08-2013 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ... Assault Response Prevention (SHARP)

Erm... you are being taught to prevent the response to assault?

BASTARDS!

Blink

28-08-2013, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2013 07:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-08-2013 06:45 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Brings upon a fear to join the service, honestly.

Ferdinand is one of the few I wouldn't be worried about if she enlisted. She's got big balls, mighty big balls, she's got the biggest balls of them all, great balls of fire. Big Grin

(28-08-2013 07:14 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ... Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP)

Erm... you are being taught to prevent the response to assault?

BASTARDS!

Blink

Trying to interpret and make sense of military acronyms is a fool's mission. ... but oops, I missed an "and". Corrected. Tongue

[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-08-2013, 09:37 PM
This makes me want to enlist just so I can wreck the faces of all these assholes serving. I'm hooked on this movie now. Not even 5 minutes into part 2 and I'm fucking furious...

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
01-09-2013, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 07:38 AM by GirlyMan.)
Talked to an active duty sergeant about this. She was stationed in Irag in a camp which had a rape problem. Their solution? They gave the women soldiers a rape whistle and a knife and told them they had to walk with a buddy after dark. The sergeant said she felt degraded. The underlying problem seems to be an overemphasis on "prevention" with little to no emphasis on "response" or punitive action.

It doesn't make sense and is likely unconstitutional to turn these matters over to a civilian court (which is precisely why the lawsuit highlighted in the film was dismissed and the dismissal was subsequently upheld on appeal, civilian courts have no jurisdiction over the military, like constitutionally). Instead they are trying to create a separate military judicial court system independent of the chain of command for serious crimes. That makes sense. We'll see if anything happens.