So I guess I'm out now?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2014, 09:52 AM
RE: So I guess I'm out now?
(12-05-2014 09:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Read your OP and then went off to read your other thread about your family troubles and then came back to this thread.

Just want to say, well done. As others have said, don't succumb to the blackmail because it won't stop, it will just get worse. You stood your ground.

It's hard I know but in the same way your parents and brother need to accept that you are an atheist, you just have to accept that they're idiots. If your Father wants to be ordained, you have spelled out all the difficulties and he still wants to go through with it, just accept it. When he doesn't accept that you are an atheist you then have the moral high ground pointing this out to him.

We each have our lives to lead. Lead your own life and be proud of yourself for shrugging off their bullshit. Your independent and have done well for yourself at an early age. They can't manipulate you unless you let them.

Thanks Smile Yeah, since you've read my other thread, I'm sure you can understand how pissed off I was to be told Friday that I basically have to pick and choose what I tell my parents about my life, because "they don't wanna hear about my sinful ways of wanting to move in with my girlfriend", yet they can sit there and spew religious drivel while Sarah and I are around?

I don't think so.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post
12-05-2014, 09:52 AM
(12-05-2014 09:47 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  He also went on and on and on and on about moral subjectivity, and how it doesn't work because some people think what Hitler did was right, and how without a Moral Authority we would all just be killing each other.

I tried to argue from the standpoint of empathy and the fact that we don't even observe animals murdering each other horribly non-stop, and how his moral authority accounts for that, to which he changed subjects.

He CONTINUOUSLY used those "god works in mysterious ways" and "well the bible says so" lines that are just infuriating, because they answer nothing.

when you wrestle with pigs, you get dirty, and the pig likes it. Think of it as a waste of time on your part to argue with him; here is someone who professes to believe in a delusional fairy tale as the methodology he uses to comprehend the world around him. Just intellectually pat him on the head and shake your head in sadness at his delusion. This will infuriate him even more, when you enter an argument with him, you validate his position. Remember how ridiculous his position is, just laugh, shake your head and change subjects..."speaking of fairy tales, did you see the new superman movie?".....I think believers should get handicapped status, as it is such a misguided, shortsighted way in which to view the world. He deserves your pity, nothing more.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
12-05-2014, 09:54 AM
(12-05-2014 09:52 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 09:47 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  He also went on and on and on and on about moral subjectivity, and how it doesn't work because some people think what Hitler did was right, and how without a Moral Authority we would all just be killing each other.

I tried to argue from the standpoint of empathy and the fact that we don't even observe animals murdering each other horribly non-stop, and how his moral authority accounts for that, to which he changed subjects.

He CONTINUOUSLY used those "god works in mysterious ways" and "well the bible says so" lines that are just infuriating, because they answer nothing.
I'll wring his neck. Tongue
The Bible IS the claim.
Quoting from the claim is not evidence. Saying "the claim says so" does not support the claim.
Of COURSE the Bible says so! That's what a claim DOES! It SAYS SO! Now ya gotta substantiate what it is that the claim is saying... and repeating it or quoting other parts of it is not substantiating it; that's only more of the claim being a claim and "saying so."

I KNOW! It was SO INFURIATING! Angry

And he did this with EVERYTHING!

When Sarah questioned Noah/Jonah's stories, it was "well those can't be taken literally, we don't really know if those are metaphorical or not"

and with the O.T. stuff (like condoning rape/slavery) it was "Oh well those were the old ways"

Hobo You son of a bitch, do you even LISTEN to yourself?!
12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Nice job for standing up against BS!

Takes guts to confront family members, whether they're a-holes or not. Curious that your dad didn't chime in, though. Let us know how things develope from here on, keep posting. Thumbsup

PS. Here's a nice counter-apologetic for those who say "How do you know Caesar existed?", eventhough it specifically concerns Tiberius.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
(12-05-2014 09:52 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  

when you wrestle with pigs, you get dirty, and the pig likes it. Think of it as a waste of time on your part to argue with him; here is someone who professes to believe in a delusional fairy tale as the methodology he uses to comprehend the world around him. Just intellectually pat him on the head and shake your head in sadness at his delusion. This will infuriate him even more, when you enter an argument with him, you validate his position. Remember how ridiculous his position is, just laugh, shake your head and change subjects..."speaking of fairy tales, did you see the new superman movie?".....I think believers should get handicapped status, as it is such a misguided, shortsighted way in which to view the world. He deserves your pity, nothing more.

Laugh out load

I agree, and normally I don't indulge him because I know it won't go anywhere. But I wasn't going to leave Sarah hanging out there; I've always got her back, no matter what.
[+] 2 users Like Jasozz's post
12-05-2014, 10:04 AM
(12-05-2014 09:36 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  ---
While Sarah and I were sitting there he told some story about a guy he knows that stopped going to church when he started dating an atheist girl. His words were "if he wants to live a life of sin, that's his choice"

I just kind of looked at Sarah and smirked.
---

Oh man... you had the perfect chance!!

If he ever says something like that again ... just smile real big... grab Sarah's hand... pull her close ... and lay a smooch right on her noggin' and say something like ... "Best choice anyone could ever make."

Heart Never pass up a chance to love. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
12-05-2014, 10:07 AM
(12-05-2014 10:04 AM)kim Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 09:36 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  ---
While Sarah and I were sitting there he told some story about a guy he knows that stopped going to church when he started dating an atheist girl. His words were "if he wants to live a life of sin, that's his choice"

I just kind of looked at Sarah and smirked.
---

Oh man... you had the perfect chance!!

If he ever says something like that again ... just smile real big... grab Sarah's hand... pull her close ... and lay a smooch right on her noggin' and say something like ... "Best choice anyone could ever make."

See, I'm saving all that ammunition for whenever I have to spend time with him and his "girlfriend"

I put quotes around it because she's this EXTREMELY prudish, stuck-up Baptist chick who is also in seminary. My 26-year old virgin brother has dated like 2 other girls, for a few months, before deciding they weren't "Christian enough" for him, and leaving them.

Sarah and I had to spend an evening with them a couple weeks back, and it was SO BAD.

Sarah and I were talking about Skyrim and Diablo III, and my brother chimes in to do some stupid nerd-voice impression mocking our game-talk, saying something like "I see you're playing as your wizard-knight again"

and I just smiled at him, used the same voice, and replied "I see you've read Proverbs again, how riveting"
[+] 2 users Like Jasozz's post
12-05-2014, 10:09 AM
(12-05-2014 10:04 AM)kim Wrote:  Oh man... you had the perfect chance!!

Doesn't go far enough. Rip off each other's clothes. Clear the table of all the dinner plates with a single sweep of your arm. Jump on the table and then start pounding your girlfriend while exclaiming "Yeah Baby! Your sin makes me so horny!" while your parents and brother just sit there staring open mouthed.

You won't have to worry about awkward moments at a family dinner ever again.
[+] 8 users Like Mathilda's post
12-05-2014, 10:09 AM
(12-05-2014 10:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 10:04 AM)kim Wrote:  Oh man... you had the perfect chance!!

Doesn't go far enough. Rip off each other's clothes. Clear the table of all the dinner plates with a single sweep of your arm. Jump on the table and then start pounding your girlfriend while exclaiming "Yeah Baby! Your sin makes me so horny!" while your parents and brother just sit there staring open mouthed.

You won't have to worry about awkward moments at a family dinner ever again.

Blink

Consider

Yes
12-05-2014, 10:16 AM
(12-05-2014 09:27 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  Went over to my parents to celebrate Mother's Day.

Brought Sarah with me.

I forgot that my brother was gonna be there. For context, my brother is a hate-mongering, homophobic, YEC Calvinist. He started going on about how a university in his city has gotten a bunch of complaints about him evangelizing on campus, and how wrong that was, and then went on to talk about some guy that he stopped on his way to class to preach at him, and the guy basically gave him a "live-and-let-live" response, and how that made the guy a coward and an idiot.

I could just see the gears grinding in Sarah's head, and finally she couldn't listen to his drivel anymore and just started drilling him about how some people are actually able to see the world in shades of grey and not as a moral black and white, and then they got into it over moral authority, and my brother immediately went to a shitload of cherry-picking around verses, and when Sarah brought up some of the less-savory parts of the O.T. he immediately went for "Oh well that was the old law"

Now, I think my brother is a useless sack of shit, and I've always got Sarah's back, so obviously when he started using a bunch of dishonest bullshit against her I chimed in and backed her up. He started in about how science is inaccurate because it's all based on theories, and Sarah brought up how he can possibly believe everything thats in the Bible, like JOnah living inside a fish, or a global flood, and he said "Well I trust the Bible because I believe it's God's Word", to which I replied "Well that's convenient" (damn cop out), and then he (for some reason) brought up "how can we sure that Julius Caesar" existed (when Sarah was citing historical textbooks having more relevance than the Bible) , and I replied "How can you be sure Jesus even existed?"

At this point tension was pretty high and my folks were just kind of staring, so I stood up, grabbed my shoes, handed Sarah hers, and I was just like "Well, I think we're gonna go ahead and go. Happy Mother's Day!" and we left.

So I guess I get to see how this pans out over the next couple of weeks. Thumbsup

Ever notice how those with the least amount of anything seem hell-bent on being the loudest to prove what they actually cannot? I swear the ones who've got NOTHING (really nothing......not even some sort of real faith) are the screamers. It's as if ::
Lack of anything concrete = yammering the loudest and the most. Like if they're really loud or bullying about it all they'll manage to convince themselves in the process (?)
........ never DID understand That.

[Image: 88506245.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.