So. I had a presentation about Abortion at school.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2013, 07:02 PM
RE: So. I had a presentation about Abortion at school.
(02-11-2013 06:28 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, then you better get busy creating the structure to care for and protect all these unwanted babies. It's will be your responsibility, they would have been brought into this world because of you.

That's a politician's job, not mine. I don't really want our overpopulation to rise, but we ca use other methods. There are these things called condoms...

No birth control method is 100% effective.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Even surgical methods aren't 100% effective.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
(02-11-2013 05:32 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  That's what I want in any case...

That's what we all would want in any case. However, it is not the case. You are arguing wishful thinking. I know your god is great and awesome and loving and all, but reality is a motherfucker, and a clump of cells is not sacred. For perspective, too many of these clumps of cells are thrown away by nature all the time for us to really be creating conditions for more people to be more miserable by making abortion illegal, just because we have a concept of what a perfect world should be. God may be perfect, but he sure fucked this world up. We have to do what's prudent.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-11-2013, 07:23 PM
(02-11-2013 12:55 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 10:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Do I take it that you are surprised?

Consider

Pleasantly surprised, yes.

It's simply Supply and Demand.

The number of atheists is growing at an exponential rate. Shocking

What are we all going to eat?

I say, "women, do your duty." Keep that supply coming.

Unsure

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 08:12 PM by The_Thinking_Theist.)
(02-11-2013 07:19 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:32 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  That's what I want in any case...

That's what we all would want in any case. However, it is not the case. You are arguing wishful thinking. I know your god is great and awesome and loving and all, but reality is a motherfucker, and a clump of cells is not sacred. For perspective, too many of these clumps of cells are thrown away by nature all the time for us to really be creating conditions for more people to be more miserable by making abortion illegal, just because we have a concept of what a perfect world should be. God may be perfect, but he sure fucked this world up. We have to do what's prudent.

I've been happy lately, thinking about the world as one.

And I believe it could happen, something good is beginning.

Siddhartha Gautama taught that everything in the multiverse is sacred, clump of cells or not.

My opinion (and the Buddha's), evenheathen, is that a world without suffering means a world without abortion.
02-11-2013, 08:53 PM
(02-11-2013 08:09 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ...
a world without suffering means a world without abortion.

Whose suffering?

The future mother's?

If you are open to reasoning, please take some time to see this...

02-11-2013, 09:28 PM
(02-11-2013 08:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 08:09 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ...
a world without suffering means a world without abortion.

Whose suffering?

The future mother's?

If you are open to reasoning, please take some time to see this...

I meant the suffering of the whole human race.
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Also, I don't understand the clump of cells argument because you're just a larger clump of cells. We're all bags of chemicals, baby or not. It's not like some magic happens when we leave the womb.
02-11-2013, 09:49 PM
(02-11-2013 09:30 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Also, I don't understand the clump of cells argument because you're just a larger clump of cells. We're all bags of chemicals, baby or not. It's not like some magic happens when we leave the womb.

The difference is higher brain function, before the third trimester the fetus does not have a brain or CNS so by definition has no higher brain function. Plus as you agreed earlier No brain activity = Dead and if you are Dead you are by definition not Alive Q.E.D.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-11-2013, 09:50 PM
(02-11-2013 09:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 09:30 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Also, I don't understand the clump of cells argument because you're just a larger clump of cells. We're all bags of chemicals, baby or not. It's not like some magic happens when we leave the womb.

The difference is higher brain function, before the third trimester the fetus does not have a brain or CNS so by definition has no higher brain function. Plus as you agreed earlier No brain activity = Dead and if you are Dead you are by definition not Alive Q.E.D.

You didn't answer my concerns... I mean don't say "It's not a baby it's a clump of cells" because it's always a clump of cells at any stage of life.