So. I had a presentation about Abortion at school.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 03:25 PM
RE: So. I had a presentation about Abortion at school.
Some suggestions to rebut the emotional "I was the product of a rape and I deserve to live!" anti-abortion argument:

Nobody (outside of China or other backward hell-holes) is suggesting that anyone should have an abortion against her will. If your mother didn't choose to abort you, and you're having a good life, good for you! But the fact that others may need to abort an unwanted pregnancy so they can get themselves into a place in life where they can have and properly support a wanted pregnancy has got nothing to do with you. You are NOT a good person for laying guilt trips on those women. Other women's decisions re their own bodies are NOT in any way a comment on your own worth.

If you think every zygote has the right to live, then you should put your time and money where your mouth is and adopt a bunch of unwanted children. If you can't do that, STFU! Drinking Beverage

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ufo42's post
21-04-2013, 05:56 PM
(21-04-2013 11:41 AM)amyb Wrote:  ...
But as Chas said, she won, you were defeated by her appeals to emotion

Appeals to emotion?

From a lawyer?

I'm seeing Sandra Bollocks as the lawyer; I'm seeing Tom Cruise as A2.

21-04-2013, 06:00 PM
(21-04-2013 03:25 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  ...
(outside of China or other backward hell-holes)

WFT?

You're kidding, right?

Perhaps you're working with different definitions of 'backward' and 'hell'.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
21-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself Ato. I feel sure she has refined her spiel to apply just the right amount of emotion (and guilt) on the audiences she speaks to. Catholics are big on guilt.

And, thanks to her, there will be more girls/women who will carry babies to term that they don't want, can't afford, and aren't prepared to care for.

Trying to argue reason with someone who is going on emotion doesn't work.

It's an example of more indoctrination...surely your school wouldn't have brought in someone to speak about options that do not fit the religious teachings. Aren't you at a Catholic school? The Catholics don't even (by doctrine) allow 'artificial' birth control. Therefore, when rhythm fails (as it often does) you have no choices as far as the Church is concerned. The pregnancy is God's will.

In that setting, you were in a losing situation.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
22-04-2013, 12:04 AM
I don't experience any guilt for my positions but that doesn't mean I don't empathize with this woman. And I despise abortion but, I also despise the notion of a child being exposed to an unhealthy environment... which is clearly the result of the majority of unwanted pregnancies.

This woman is incredibly selfish and unempathetic toward women with unwanted pregnancies and the children who, unlike her, will face abuse, neglect and who knows what other misfortune as a result of forcing women to carry an unwanted baby to term. She is projecting her experience onto others, which is a pretty common thing people do but that makes it none the less arrogant.

That her appeals to emotion affected you isn't a sign of weakness on your part, it's a sign that you are a compassionate man. This world could do well with more such men. Thumbsup

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post
24-04-2013, 09:03 AM
(21-04-2013 07:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Anyone who has forced or unprotected sex can go to the drug store, no matter what age now, and take a Plan B pill. It will PREVENT a pregnancy from even starting.
The "abortion debate" is a thing of the past. It's a non issue, in 2013.

It has been medically proven, and supported by professors and department heads of OBGYN, (Obstetrics and Gynecology), all over the world, that what were said to be "arbortifacients" are in fact not so, as the pregnancy has not even begun.

Don't be so sure. Some claim that pregnancy starts two weeks before conception.

http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-08-24/acco...onception/

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2013, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2013 02:38 AM by Luminon.)
(21-04-2013 03:25 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  Some suggestions to rebut the emotional "I was the product of a rape and I deserve to live!" anti-abortion argument:

Nobody (outside of China or other backward hell-holes) is suggesting that anyone should have an abortion against her will. If your mother didn't choose to abort you, and you're having a good life, good for you! But the fact that others may need to abort an unwanted pregnancy so they can get themselves into a place in life where they can have and properly support a wanted pregnancy has got nothing to do with you. You are NOT a good person for laying guilt trips on those women. Other women's decisions re their own bodies are NOT in any way a comment on your own worth.
You are so right! Rape is among other things a violation of free will. So is intimidating other women to have unwanted children.

People do as they are done to and then they order others to do.
Joe Abercrombie (fantasy writer)

In case you don't trust fantasy writers, that's the same principle as people with rough upbringing consider breaking the child's will as "good for discipline". Broken wills see broken as good, that's what it takes to feel well enough to get out of bed in the morning.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
29-04-2013, 05:28 AM
(21-04-2013 06:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:25 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  ...
(outside of China or other backward hell-holes)

WFT?

You're kidding, right?

Perhaps you're working with different definitions of 'backward' and 'hell'.

Thanks, DLJ. Glad to see I'm not the only one who had the same reaction. West centrism and arrogance ftw! No

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
29-04-2013, 06:56 AM
(21-04-2013 01:39 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Now, her talk was basically her sharing her life story, and how it ties into abortion and how her mother was raped, and she was born. She then started to make appeals to emotions, and then she tried to guilt trip me (but it wasn't directly me, more or less pro-choicers) into buying the argument that if I was pro-choice, then I think she SHOULD have died.

If she would have asked me that flat-out, I would have just said -Yes-.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
30-04-2013, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2013 04:01 PM by Logica Humano.)
(21-04-2013 01:39 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  she SHOULD have died.

Not so much as she SHOULD have died as her mother shouldn't have had to have her if she didn't want to. Too many pro-lifers fail to realize that pro-choicers aren't actually for any decision specifically. They just want the two avenues available to those wanting to choose between the two possibilities. During my Junior year of high school I was presented with the topic of abortion amid a classroom discussion concerning the morality of the death penalty. I argued that women should have the option to follow through with an abortion, and that it would statistically and logically benefit society. Now, one of my fellow classmate's entire premise was based solely on the fact that she was put up for adoption and that it was successful. The teacher actually laughed at what I said:

"Woopty fucking doo. Out of the 5 million other orphaned children still waiting for a new parent, struggling to make do in some shitty foster home somewhere in a rundown neighborhood, you were adopted? Great job sitting around letting a ratio randomly select you."

Anyway, I digress. Her, and many like her, seem to think that a pro-choice advocate is a pro-death advocate. They seem to think that we believe that it is the solution to any undesired birth when, in reality, I simply want it as an available, legal option.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post