So. I had a presentation about Abortion at school.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 04:08 PM
RE: So. I had a presentation about Abortion at school.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
30-10-2013, 04:13 PM
(21-04-2013 01:39 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  if I was pro-choice, then I think she SHOULD have died.
If you were pro-choice, then you think Hitler should have lived, and so on and so forth.
30-10-2013, 04:29 PM
(30-10-2013 03:47 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  But, but, only their brain is dead, like a fetus. The tissue is alive, like a fetus.

They both still suffer pain. In the case of the terminally ill dude, let him die he's had his chance. In the case of the fetus, it's a completely innocent dude and has to be given chances at life.

They do not suffer pain if the brain cannot accept transmissions from the nervous system. In the case of the fetus - there is no nervous system, nor is there any brain. Hence, there is zero pain. Neither of them experiences pain. And neither of them is conscious. And neither of them is alive. Not by the normal medical definition, which requires a live brain.

You really don't know this stuff?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-10-2013, 05:41 PM
(30-10-2013 04:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

(Sorry for any cursing that might slip into my post- I'm pretty passionate about this)

As far as I am concerned, George Carlin is an ignorant, foolish old man.

As a stereotypical western liberal communist, I like a lot of his comedy.

I hate his view on this subject though. I think that people should have welfare and all that socialized jazz, and the reason being is the government looking out for its people's welfare. That means that the government (which is made up of people) should also look out for its unborn citizens. The fucking embryo has a fucking code that tells what the sorry kid is going to look, talk, and sound like when it (fucking) grows up. So it's a dude, not a packet of chemicals (and that logic defeats itself, we're all packets of chemicals). So stereotyping people like Carlin have no idea that a radically liberal person like me is pro life because of my belief in a eternal benevolent God as he should be. If I said I was pro life because believed in God, he would assume I was some upper middle class bourgeois Protestant asshole who went around praisin' Jebus. He wouldn't ask why, he'd just assume and go on thinking I was the above said asshole. He's just as big a hypocrite as the average Republican fundie.
30-10-2013, 05:50 PM
(30-10-2013 05:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  

(Sorry for any cursing that might slip into my post- I'm pretty passionate about this)

I hate his view on this subject though. I think that people should have welfare and all that socialized jazz, and the reason being is the government looking out for its people's welfare. That means that the government (which is made up of people) should also look out for its unborn citizens. The fucking embryo has a fucking code that tells what the sorry kid is going to look, talk, and sound like when it (fucking) grows up. So it's a dude, not a packet of chemicals (and that logic defeats itself, we're all packets of chemicals). So stereotyping people like Carlin have no idea that a radically liberal person like me is pro life because of my belief in a eternal benevolent God as he should be. If I said I was pro life because believed in God, he would assume I was some upper middle class bourgeois Protestant asshole who went around praisin' Jebus. He wouldn't ask why, he'd just assume and go on thinking I was the above said asshole. He's just as big a hypocrite as the average Republican fundie.

You have obviously given no real thought to this position and operate solely off of emotion. If you want to know the facts about abortion I and several others will have that discussion but don't expect "Abortion should be illegal cause god" to hold any weight whatsoever.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-10-2013, 05:56 PM
(30-10-2013 05:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 05:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  (Sorry for any cursing that might slip into my post- I'm pretty passionate about this)

You have obviously given no real thought to this position and operate solely off of emotion. If you want to know the facts about abortion I and several others will have that discussion but don't expect "Abortion should be illegal cause god" to hold any weight whatsoever.

HA! Finally you're wrong about something and I'm smart enough to prove it! Banana_zorro

That last post was not about the legality of abortion but of the hypocrisy of George Carlin and the like!
30-10-2013, 05:58 PM
(30-10-2013 05:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  

There is no brain, there is no nervous system until after six months. It is tissue, not a person.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-10-2013, 05:59 PM
(30-10-2013 05:56 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 05:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You have obviously given no real thought to this position and operate solely off of emotion. If you want to know the facts about abortion I and several others will have that discussion but don't expect "Abortion should be illegal cause god" to hold any weight whatsoever.

HA! Finally you're wrong about something and I'm smart enough to prove it! Banana_zorro

That last post was not about the legality of abortion but of the hypocrisy of George Carlin and the like!

I suggest you fact check things.

George Carlin is not a foolish, old man.

George Carlin is dead.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2013, 06:00 PM
(30-10-2013 04:13 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 01:39 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  if I was pro-choice, then I think she SHOULD have died.
If you were pro-choice, then you think Hitler should have lived, and so on and so forth.

My Slavic ancestors suffered alongside the Jews during the Holocaust. Hitler was a terrible being, both human, and I would infer spiritually as well. But my being a Slav makes me empathize with both my countrymen and Hitler, believe it or not. Yes, I believe that Hitler should have lived, because he could have been a Di Vince or another genius.

ALL life is sacred. There are NO contradictions or exceptions.
30-10-2013, 06:02 PM
(30-10-2013 05:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 05:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  (Sorry for any cursing that might slip into my post- I'm pretty passionate about this)

There is no brain, there is no nervous system until after six months. It is tissue, not a person.

List of people who have tissue:

Everyone

That last statement was pointless and obvious and not to mention self-contradicting.