So I have a friend who thinks this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2017, 07:02 PM
So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more.

Their response was that the government would find away to make the person who figured out the biology to make us immortal would "disappear" applying that the government would kill the person.

This was their response to almost everything I brought up in the discussion. Rather it would be clean energy to space travel. The government would find a way to kill the people who thought up those ideas.

The reason why I brought this up in the forums is because this sounds like something that a crazy conspiracy theorist would say and I wanted to know if there was any factual proof that the government or any corporation would take the time to do something irrational like this?

Also. sorry if I posted in the wrong thread. I looked at the rest of the threads available and thought this would be the better one to post this topic in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Afteel-Nifty's post
05-01-2017, 07:04 PM
RE: So I have a friend who thinks this
(05-01-2017 07:02 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more.

Their response was that the government would find away to make the person who figured out the biology to make us immortal would "disappear" applying that the government would kill the person.

This was their response to almost everything I brought up in the discussion. Rather it would be clean energy to space travel. The government would find a way to kill the people who thought up those ideas.

The reason why I brought this up in the forums is because this sounds like something that a crazy conspiracy theorist would say and I wanted to know if there was any factual proof that the government or any corporation would take the time to do something irrational like this?

Also. sorry if I posted in the wrong thread. I looked at the rest of the threads available and thought this would be the better one to post this topic in.

Your friend sounds like a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2017, 07:06 PM
(05-01-2017 07:02 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more.

There's worse stuff than this that people have thought up, and the government hasn't "disappeared" them. Are you in the US of A?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
05-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Why would they off them instead of just "disappearing" them into a lab?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-01-2017, 08:52 PM
What if Trump gets hold of this technology?
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
05-01-2017, 08:56 PM
(05-01-2017 08:52 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What if Trump gets hold of this technology?

One can hope. Then he could disappear himself.

"Immortality" is a lot longer off than seven years.
We've just started to understand genetics.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-01-2017, 08:57 PM

Trump as the first person to live to 1000. Yes! That's perfect! There is a God!

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-01-2017, 09:00 PM
I think, like it was said before me, your friend is probably a conspiracy nutcase.
That being said, it's not completely unheard of. It is just a bit more complex than "find a way to live for ever and be killed for it".

Each country deals with that stuff differently.

I will use the US and North Korea as examples because they are very opposite end of the spectrum I think.
I mean while in the US you would probably become very famous with a big new invention, in North Korea you'd probably not even be credited for it.
If it is not an invention but an ideology or unpopular opinion in the US you would probably say the opinion but apart from people looking at you weirdly not much would happen while in North Korea you might go to a gulag for it.
Or let's say you own something illegal. If you own drugs in the US, you might get a short prison sentence or pay a fine something like that while in North Korea owning a DVD from outside the country can get you publicly executed.

And another thing that factors in as well. The type of government you have. Are we talking about communism where your neighbour tells on you and suddenly a government van shows up and you vanish?

There are more factors of course but see where I am going with this?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
05-01-2017, 09:18 PM
(05-01-2017 08:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

One can hope. Then he could disappear himself.

"Immortality" is a lot longer off than seven years.
We've just started to understand genetics.

Quite. That's literally what my wife does for a living; she works in a genetics lab, looking at the DNA pathways for a developmental gene that (when artificially switched on) doubles the lifespan of a particular roundworm known as C. elegans.

Humans share this gene, but they have got to be SURE they understand every single genetic and epigenetic consequence of altering this pathway, especially since it's a developmental gene which interacts with and controls other genes which affect the way we grow from a fetus into a baby.

They're years away from even understanding the things we'd have to understand in order to begin testing a human version, let alone a medical trial that would be approved by any nation's ethics board (or the company's, since they don't want to be sued out of business because they made someone's child be born all messed up), and much farther away still from anything that would enable us to make already-grown humans live longer.

As to the government conspiracy stuff, we do indeed "disappear" people we don't like... but in other countries, and the government is so bad at keeping secrets that these actions are public knowledge. The idea that the US government, which is so terribly inefficient at every other aspect of its operations, could keep something of that scale secret, is a joke.

Next time your friend tells you this stuff, just laugh at him.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
06-01-2017, 01:34 AM
Your friend is crazy conspiracy theorist.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.