So I have a friend who thinks this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2017, 02:02 AM
RE: So I have a friend who thinks this
(05-01-2017 07:02 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more.

Their response was that the government would find away to make the person who figured out the biology to make us immortal would "disappear" applying that the government would kill the person.

This was their response to almost everything I brought up in the discussion. Rather it would be clean energy to space travel. The government would find a way to kill the people who thought up those ideas.

The reason why I brought this up in the forums is because this sounds like something that a crazy conspiracy theorist would say and I wanted to know if there was any factual proof that the government or any corporation would take the time to do something irrational like this?

Also. sorry if I posted in the wrong thread. I looked at the rest of the threads available and thought this would be the better one to post this topic in.

I'll err on the conspiracy theorist side as well. As a side note why do "They" always want to keep advanced technology away from the populace? What do "They" gain by crippling the people? Surely if you could reduced OHS costs to zero with immortal workers, the nefarious plans would get finished faster if nothing else...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2017, 02:33 AM
(05-01-2017 07:02 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more.

Their response was that the government would find away to make the person who figured out the biology to make us immortal would "disappear" applying that the government would kill the person.

This was their response to almost everything I brought up in the discussion. Rather it would be clean energy to space travel. The government would find a way to kill the people who thought up those ideas.

The reason why I brought this up in the forums is because this sounds like something that a crazy conspiracy theorist would say and I wanted to know if there was any factual proof that the government or any corporation would take the time to do something irrational like this?

Also. sorry if I posted in the wrong thread. I looked at the rest of the threads available and thought this would be the better one to post this topic in.

How's that cure for cancer coming along?
06-01-2017, 04:34 AM
G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

(05-01-2017 07:02 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more. [...]

Can you please provide links to these articles. I've not heard of anything like this.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
06-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Sorry if I been silent. I am just reading through all the comments. From the looks of it. There has been no links to support my friends and I will take all of the suggestions that have been offered.

I think the article that told me seven years was deleted because what I am seeing now is the 30+ years.
06-01-2017, 10:56 AM
(06-01-2017 09:52 AM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  Sorry if I been silent. I am just reading through all the comments. From the looks of it. There has been no links to support my friends and I will take all of the suggestions that have been offered.

There is support for it, but it's usually a different country trying to keep technology out of their adversaries' hands. The preferred term is "focused foiling".

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Quote:I will use the US and North Korea as examples because they are very opposite end of the spectrum I think.

Not any more.

[Image: 2shitheads.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 9 users Like Minimalist's post
06-01-2017, 11:37 AM
(05-01-2017 09:00 PM)Leela Wrote:  I will use the US and North Korea as examples because they are very opposite end of the spectrum I think.

North Korea don't invade other countries under false pretext of it having WMD.

Obviously said countries aren't similar but calling them very opposites is I think wrong. Just look at the percentage and number of people imprisoned in USA. For me it signify some deep issues. Just like the "War on Drugs" or Guantanamo.

Very opposite of North Korea would be I imagine country with greatest freedom of press (Finland) or country being most free (Hong Kong*).

*For relevant info look at page 11

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-01-2017, 11:45 AM

I think immortality would be really bad for the planet, but there's also no evidence coming close to suggesting that we're 7 years away from achieving it.

If say a biologist did find the secret to immortality, how would they be killed by the government (assuming they did in fact try it on themselves)?

If they can be killed, then quite simply put they're not immortal.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-01-2017, 03:52 PM
(06-01-2017 04:34 AM)SYZ Wrote:  G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

(05-01-2017 07:02 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more. [...]

Can you please provide links to these articles. I've not heard of anything like this.

http://www.thatsreallypossible.com/immortality/

http://2045.com/

I am trying to find some others but for now these are it.
[+] 1 user Likes Afteel-Nifty's post
06-01-2017, 05:21 PM

It's rank conspiracy-think. We are not even close to any such technology. Despite the ramblings of people like Ray Kurzweil and his Technological Immortality stuff. Ray certainly has not been disappeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction...y_Kurzweil

When technical immortality is outlawed, only outlaws will have technological immortality.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie