So I have a friend who thinks this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2017, 06:24 PM
RE: So I have a friend who thinks this
(06-01-2017 04:34 AM)SYZ Wrote:  G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

(05-01-2017 07:02 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more. [...]

Can you please provide links to these articles. I've not heard of anything like this.

Sounds like old estimates from Ray Kurzweil. Current estimates are about 2045.
Google, transhumanism, technological immortality, mind uploading, technological singularity for more. Welcome to the wonderful world of technological high weirdness. Some of this is very entertaining.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2017, 06:44 PM
(06-01-2017 11:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 07:02 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  So I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about immortality and how some articles I found support the idea that we will have it in seven years or more.

Their response was that the government would find away to make the person who figured out the biology to make us immortal would "disappear" applying that the government would kill the person.

I think immortality would be really bad for the planet, but there's also no evidence coming close to suggesting that we're 7 years away from achieving it.

If say a biologist did find the secret to immortality, how would they be killed by the government (assuming they did in fact try it on themselves)?

If they can be killed, then quite simply put they're not immortal.

Why do you think immortality would be bad for the planet, and why should we care about the planet? There are billions of them out there and they don't feel. Humans on the other hand feel plenty and their happiness and experiences are the whole point of everything we do. Extending those would surely be an obvious benefit, right?

I think the OP is talking about the kind of immortality where you don't die of old age and fatal diseases, not accidents.
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
06-01-2017, 06:51 PM
(06-01-2017 06:44 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 11:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think immortality would be really bad for the planet, but there's also no evidence coming close to suggesting that we're 7 years away from achieving it.

If say a biologist did find the secret to immortality, how would they be killed by the government (assuming they did in fact try it on themselves)?

If they can be killed, then quite simply put they're not immortal.

Why do you think immortality would be bad for the planet, and why should we care about the planet? There are billions of them out there and they don't feel. Humans on the other hand feel plenty and their happiness and experiences are the whole point of everything we do. Extending those would surely be an obvious benefit, right?

I think the OP is talking about the kind of immortality where you don't die of old age and fatal diseases, not accidents.

Yes, that's what I meant. Where dying of old age is a thing of the past along with most diseases. The people have the option to die if they want to and not because they are forced to by their genetics. Thought they aren't immune to accidents that could be fatal.

Sorry for the confusion.
06-01-2017, 07:04 PM
I don't think people should have the right to die, unless we're talking about unbearable and untreatable pain. Wanting to die seems to me like a brain failure, in any other circumstances, at some level. It's not that I nurture some sort of authoritarian tendencies, but it seems like a preventable tragedy to me, in that scenario. And preventable tragedies should at least tried to be dealt with.

I really don't know. Suicide is a can of worms and it just so happens to be an important subject to me. I'm only interested in talking about it in impersonal, societal terms, therefore, if possible and if anyone is to pursue this topic further here in relation to the kind of circumstances mentioned in the OP.
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
06-01-2017, 07:45 PM
(06-01-2017 11:37 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 09:00 PM)Leela Wrote:  I will use the US and North Korea as examples because they are very opposite end of the spectrum I think.

North Korea don't invade other countries under false pretext of it having WMD.

Nah, they just invade to enslave the population.

Quote:Obviously said countries aren't similar but calling them very opposites is I think wrong. Just look at the percentage and number of people imprisoned in USA. For me it signify some deep issues. Just like the "War on Drugs" or Guantanamo.

Very opposite of North Korea would be I imagine country with greatest freedom of press (Finland) or country being most free (Hong Kong*).

*For relevant info look at page 11

N. Korea fails comparisons to every civilized country in the entire world.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2017, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 01:40 AM by Szuchow.)
(06-01-2017 07:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  N. Korea fails comparisons to every civilized country in the entire world.

N. Korea might fail but stats for USA also doesn't look to good. States certainly don't look like they're on very opposite end of spectrum. But I already posted relevant links and there is nothing more to add.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-01-2017, 04:38 PM
(06-01-2017 07:04 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  I don't think people should have the right to die, unless we're talking about unbearable and untreatable pain. Wanting to die seems to me like a brain failure, in any other circumstances, at some level. It's not that I nurture some sort of authoritarian tendencies, but it seems like a preventable tragedy to me, in that scenario. And preventable tragedies should at least tried to be dealt with.

I really don't know. Suicide is a can of worms and it just so happens to be an important subject to me. I'm only interested in talking about it in impersonal, societal terms, therefore, if possible and if anyone is to pursue this topic further here in relation to the kind of circumstances mentioned in the OP.
Most suicidal ideation would fit what you are describing, but there is such a thing as rational suicide, particularly as you say in the presence of unbearable and untreatable pain. Although it would be up to the person actually suffering to determine what constitutes "unbearable" ... not other people.

The best way to understand it is to ask you this. You have a beloved, noble dog who has been at your side for 15 years. One day it is run over by a bus and is in horrible agony. You have a choice to keep it alive, but it will undergo horrible pain that it doesn't understand, and it will never be completely recovered or pain free ever again. Or you can euthanize it.

Most people today would call you a self-centered cruel asshole for denying your dog the mercy of death. And they would commend you on the difficult decision you had to make, and comfort you for your loss, if you had the dog put down.

But for some strange reason when it's a human, it's the opposite. You're a self-centered cruel asshole if you allow the person's request to die at a time and in a manner of their own choosing; but you're a virtuous person to be commended for denying them that right and keeping them alive and in pain against their will.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
08-01-2017, 06:38 AM
(06-01-2017 03:52 PM)Afteel-Nifty Wrote:  http://www.thatsreallypossible.com/immortality/
http://2045.com/

I am trying to find some others but for now these are it.

Thanks for the links.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with each of these predictions for human self replication...

Avatar A—A robotic copy of a human body remotely capable of interpreting commands directly from the mind, and sending information back to the mind in a form that can be interpreted via brain–computer interface. It is estimated to be popularized in or before 2020.

Avatar B—An avatar in which a human brain is transplanted at the end of one's life. Avatar B has an autonomous system providing life support for the brain and allowing it interaction with the environment, possibly mounted into an existing Avatar A Chassis. Deadline of this phase is year 2025.

Avatar C—An avatar with an artificial brain to which a human personality is transferred for emulation at the end of one's life. The first successful attempt to upload one's personality to a computer is estimated to happen around 2035.

Avatar D—A hologram - or diagram-like avatar. This is the ultimate goal of this project but is optional since, assuming either the upload is involuntary or all humans chose to upload, biological diseases are prevented in the previous phase, and it is far away from current technological achievement and our understanding on physics.

——As far as I'm concerned, they're all just wishful thinking at the specified timelines.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
08-01-2017, 08:02 AM
The bitch about everyone being immortal -- is you're gonna have to work a bit past 65, to draw your Social Security.....

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-01-2017, 08:09 AM
At work.

Yah... looking at that age ccoming up seeming too soon and m'self and work colleges are already making that cynical comment.