So I just had a presentation on intelligent design.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2012, 09:51 AM
So I just had a presentation on intelligent design.
... and surprise surprise it was a concentrated display of ignorance in about 10 minutes. It resulted in multiple facepalms as one would expect ("Michael Behe uses evidence to come to a conclusion the differs from the norm..." lol) but that isn't the focus here.

He kept on talking about the reason why people don't want to consider it is because the possibility of it being wrong would send many scientists out of their job blah blah blah so I wonder, would you care if new evidence (yes evidence not just blind speculation) came along and discredited evolution? So instead of skipping from evolution to a designer what about something like punctuated equilibrium.

The thing that's made me appreciate science is that fact that it's self correcting not a static article that reaches a conclusion before they've seen the facts. Although the chances of evolution being disproved to that extent is extremely low, what do you think would happen if it was?

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2012, 09:55 AM
RE: So I just had a presentation on intelligent design.
Similar results to a div by zero error I imagine Tongue
[Image: i-divided-by-zero.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Disproving evolution wouldn't necessarily mean proving that god exists. If either could be done, though, then I would adjust accordingly.

But, it had better be strongly and thoroughly peer reviewed before I'd accept it.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like kineo's post
19-03-2012, 10:21 AM
(19-03-2012 09:51 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  Although the chances of evolution being disproved to that extent is extremely low, what do you think would happen if it was?

You just have to look at what has happened in the past.
The earth was flat.
The sun went around the earth.

Both accepted theories until disproved.

Let's say that the new theory is called SIMism and it's the theory that we (the universe and everthing we know about) is part of an alien race's version of a sim game.

1. The hypothesis is viewed with amusement
2. The hypothesis gets popular as evidence mounts
3. The believers get ridiculed (or a few hundred years ago ... The believes get imprisoned / massacred as heretics)
4. SIMism gains more evidence and is accepted as a theory
5. Dawkins et al are laughed at for holding on to their archaic beliefs, for opening a Evolutionist Museum somewhere in Kentucky and for trying to get their bizarre theory onto the national curriculum

19-03-2012, 10:22 AM
(19-03-2012 09:59 AM)kineo Wrote:  Disproving evolution wouldn't necessarily mean proving that god exists. If either could be done, though, then I would adjust accordingly.

But, it had better be strongly and thoroughly peer reviewed before I'd accept it.

It would. Disproving evolution means that all science is false and everyone would have to accept the god that they once rejected. Then the church will take over the world and develop our knowledge through the bible.

Keep up Wink

This is slightly off topic but when does a theory become an accepted one (like the theory of evolution) and stay a hypothesis (like the string theory I think)

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
19-03-2012, 10:40 AM
(19-03-2012 10:22 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  This is slightly off topic but when does a theory become an accepted one (like the theory of evolution) and stay a hypothesis (like the string theory I think)

I don't know much, but I understand that the reason string theory isn't mainstream is because it's hard to test - hard to tell if that's what's *really* going on or if it's just a nice abstraction which looks pretty and fits the data.

Evolution is accepted because it's been *rigorously* tested - there's all sorts of predictions you can make from it, like that fossils should get more complex in younger rocks, between every two fossils you find there is theoretically an intermediate stage and you might even find intermediate fossils if you're lucky...

I'm sure Starcrash or some of the other better read members can supply more examples.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-03-2012, 10:49 AM
ID lol.

The theists way to try to discredit science with science.

If proof that another theory was more likely than evolution appeared tomorrow then science would accept and adapt. Some people might not like it, but in reality I think most would be excited. New fields of enquiry would open up, there would be a flood of new realisations and discoveries. At the moment though we have to content ourselves with the theory of evolution. There would have to be considerable evidence for something before it would be a more likely explanation. Most importantly though, ID would still be wrong.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Eternal's post
19-03-2012, 10:58 AM
(19-03-2012 10:22 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  This is slightly off topic but when does a theory become an accepted one (like the theory of evolution) and stay a hypothesis (like the string theory I think)

Fact = verifiably accurate data.
Law = statement which is always true under specific circumstances.
Hypothesis = testable, potentially falsifiable explanation of facts / laws.
Theory = unifying framework explaining all of the above.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-03-2012, 10:59 AM
(19-03-2012 10:49 AM)Eternal Wrote:  ID lol.

The theists way to try to discredit science with science.

If you could call what they are using to try to discredit it as science.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
19-03-2012, 11:07 AM
(19-03-2012 10:59 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you could call what they are using to try to discredit it as science.

In their minds only I think. I remember seeing a debate between PZ Myers and some ID advocate at a University. The guys whole argument was based on irreducible complexity. Amusing is the best word I can think of to describe it.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche