So, I just read Answers in Genesis's "how do we know there is a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 02:22 PM
RE: So, I just read Answers in Genesis's "how do we know there is a God?
(19-11-2013 06:53 PM)Lawls Wrote:  I've been hearing so much about this site, and from what I've heard, these are some of Christianity's best arguments. But when I went and actually red them, they go as follows.

1. The Bible fulfills it's prophecies (it then lists some text from the Bible which have been refuted as not being prophecies, or even contradictory to later events) not to mention Jesus's failed prophecy about the end of the world happening before his generation died.

2. Nature is so complex it demands a designer. Usually when Christians are proven wrong about their creation myth, they like to switch to a Deist viewpoint to argue from there, leaving their christian viewpoint for a different one, this just shows that their views are too primitive and they need to change them to put up a good argument, not to mention that the universe is poorly "designed" if God was going to focus on one little planet, why all the near infinite wasted space and destructive forces? (black holes, supernovas, asteroid impacts).

3. The writers of the Gospels saw the resurrection of Jesus, since the oldest gospel is dated at 30 years after Jesus's death, and the average life expectancy at the time was 20-30 years, it's unlikely the writer ever was an eye-wittness. Mark (the oldest gospel) also has various additions done at even later dates than the original version, including the ending and the resurrection story, which was added later by another author.

4. The Bible is true because the Bible says it's true, I don't think I need to explain this one.

Is this really the best they could give? No

How come you failed to mention:

*Jesus's responses to direct questions about his "imminent" return like "It's not for you to know the times that the Father has fixed" or "I have other [Gentile] sheep who have to be gathered to this fold" - if the apostles were not to know the times, how can you say they predicted an imminent return?

*The fact that Paul and Peter both predicted their martyrdom yet without saying Christ would return beforehand?

*The fact that Paul predicted the antichrist would take his place in the third-yet-to-be-temple before Messiah's return, and that Peter said, "Finally, after all these things, Christ will return"

*The fact that Jesus said there would be diverse happenings, wars and rumors of war, a Jewish diaspora, natural disasters, etc. and that these were only the beginnings of troubles before His return

Etc. the above is off the top of my head. The imminent return of Christ is a canard that ought to be discarded. Peter even said a day with God is like 1,000 years to us and "not to suppose He is slow to return but that He has purposes"...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2013, 04:01 PM
(20-11-2013 02:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 06:07 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  What more do you want? They only make like something like $23 million per year, and making shit up apologetics takes money... Undecided

1. The page's context is basics on creation/evolution, not a comprehensive apologetic about God or the love of Jesus Christ.

2. Why did you read it? Aren't you sure about your belief system?

I'm not sure why I got credit for starting this thread since my post was a response to Lawls.

However...you are right about my reasons for reading Answers in Genesis - I was not sure about my Christian belief system. Rather than strengthening my belief, the embarrassing arguments AiG made to defend the Genesis myths helped convince me that the Bible was not the word of God, but rather the product of men who had no knowledge beyond that which would have been available to someone alive at the time it was written.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
21-11-2013, 12:36 AM
(20-11-2013 02:22 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  *Jesus's responses to direct questions about his "imminent" return like "It's not for you to know the times that the Father has fixed" or "I have other [Gentile] sheep who have to be gathered to this fold" - if the apostles were not to know the times, how can you say they predicted an imminent return?

Oh, you mean the 'responses' written down from transmitted oral accounts decades after the supposed occurrences and recorded by non-eyewitnesses? Those 'responses'? Laughat

(20-11-2013 02:22 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  *The fact that Paul and Peter both predicted their martyrdom yet without saying Christ would return beforehand?

You mean the stories about their martyrdom? What evidence do we have for their actual martyrdom outside of mere church tradition? Nothing.

(20-11-2013 02:22 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  *The fact that Paul predicted the antichrist would take his place in the third-yet-to-be-temple before Messiah's return, and that Peter said, "Finally, after all these things, Christ will return"

Was that one of the forged epistles? Also, do you have any idea how easy it is to make up wild shit and then posit that something really good will happen after all of that? Not hard at all...

(20-11-2013 02:22 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  *The fact that Jesus said there would be diverse happenings, wars and rumors of war, a Jewish diaspora, natural disasters, etc. and that these were only the beginnings of troubles before His return

You keep using that word 'fact'. I do not think it means what you think it means. There is nothing factual about any saying attributed to Jesus.

(20-11-2013 02:22 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Etc. the above is off the top of my head. The imminent return of Christ is a canard that ought to be discarded. Peter even said a day with God is like 1,000 years to us and "not to suppose He is slow to return but that He has purposes"...

Kettle, meet pot; pot meet kettle. PJ's definition of 'canard' is anything that doesn't agree with his own fundy biased personal interpretation of the scriptures. Thank goodness we have PJ here to set us straight with the 'correct' interpretation, else we'd all be too busy waiting around for the return of Christ...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post