01-12-2011, 06:37 AM
So I just told my parents about my Atheism :D
They told me something about:
a. Not finding true happiness
b. Being damned in hell
c. "God" taking away all my "God-given" talents
d. "God" taking away all my "blessings"
e. "God" having all the credit for all the things they have achieved and shit
f. Them making sure that I WILL go to mass every Sunday *(FFFUUUUUU-)
g. How in the name of flying fvck am I getting high grades in my Spirituality classes
h. Something about Ali saying that he was greater than god and how he is suffering the consequences right now. Meh, I didn't get it either
i. Being damned in hell
j. Me disappointing them so much
k. How something will soon happen to me that will force me to believe in god
l. Them possibly enrolling me in a Catholic renewal crap or something
m. How I broke their hearts because they raised me as a Catholic Sad
n. How god loves me and wants me back
o. How if it wasn't for god we wouldn't be living as stable as we are today
p. How I cannot achieve anything if I don't believe in god
q. Being damned in hell

And many more.
In short, it was a shitstorm.... a fun one xD.

Sht :|.

Honesty is not doing what is right because you fear that there is someone watching over you, Honesty is doing what is right even when there is no one looking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JahFSM's post
01-12-2011, 06:42 AM
RE: So I just told my parents about my Atheism :D
Go out and acheive something using your talents just to show how wrong they are.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 3 users Like FSM_scot's post
01-12-2011, 07:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* *breath* ahhhhh.....WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Man that is the best thing I've heard all day. No no no. ALL MONTH. Do you have any idea what a golden opportunity you posses? The possibilities for trolling are almost endless! Endless I say! You shouldn't look at this as a bad thing but rather as practice for future endeavors. For example. Sunday mass is a glorious place to try new methods of trolling. Just so you have something to work towards I will share with you one of my master plans. I call this the "Demon Fake out"
Step 1. Get some cloths that you can modify. Put lined hidden pockets on the inside. Make sure they are insulated.
Step 2. Acquire some dry ice. Be careful as dry ice will burn your skin upon contact.
Step 3. When headed to Sunday mass. Put the dry ice in the insulated hidden pocket of your modified clothes. You should wear gloves.
Step 4. Upon entering the Church it will appears as though you are smoking due to the dry ice turning back into a gas. For added effect put on red or yellow contacts to make it appear as though you are turning into a demon or something. you may also add in some random evil sounding babble.

Profit. Everyone in the church will freak out and and think that you are a hell spawn. When maximum chaos is reached you should burst out laughing and reveal your plan...or don't and keep the troll times going by making your community think that you are an actual demon.

I don't expect you to try something this advanced this soon but it's there if you want it.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 4 users Like Hamata k's post
01-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Of course, this should all begin to moment you touch the holy water! Drop a little into it!

BTW, Didn't they mention anything about "being dammed to hell"? Surprising.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
01-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Or, maybe you could keep a low profile for a bit, and let them get over the shock.
This isn't over, unless you are ready to leave home, and i have a feeling that's not an option. Even if it were, they would still be your parents, and at some point you might regret piling insult on injury. (Maybe not; obviously, i don't know about your family dynamics.)
Still, this is probably a big deal for them; it probably hurts a lot. But they may think it's a childish rebellion; nothing more than a tantrum. See if you can act mature, courteous and restrained - that would make it easier to take you seriously.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Peterkin in absolutely right. I would think the idea of a prank is for lightening up the topic. Joking a little. Let off steam. Joking about stuff like that is a lot more fun than actually doing it. Doing it could really be a mistake in the long run.

I wouldn't actually take it seriously.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
So JahFSM... the family seems to be concerned you will be damned in hell. Most of the other stuff seems to be about them, not you.
Unless they think they will be damed in hell along with you. If that's the case, set them straight, and let them know that the reservation is only for you to be damned in hell -which doesn't exist, by the way. Wink

Shit storm is probably an understatement. Let the dust settle a bit, but stay firm to the understanding of yourself - you'll do fine. Don't get me wrong; they will keep up the barrage of strange tactics to get you to "come to your senses"... but ... a person can not believe something they just don't. And to go along with what you know is untrue, just for the sake of the family, would be a lie and a personal affront to your integrity.
If your biological family isn't exactly proud of you at this moment... rest assured, I think your free thinking, human family is very proud of you. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Plus, in some churches, you could be shot or exorcised or deprogrammed.... Some pretty heavy shit is going down in religious communities these days.

I don't imagine that's the case here, though, or JahFSM wouldn't be so casual about the situation. I gather s/he doesn't have much to fear.
That's why i think of the parents: they can't have been very mean to their kid. The kids with mean and scary parents don't come out till they're 1000 miles from home, 35 years old and married, with children.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 03:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
Oooh, an opportunity for a point by point response. My mom who has been praying for me ever since I told her the promise of a postmortem of identity was bullshit some 30 years ago at the ripe old age of 18 tried this one on me this Thanksgiving.

Mom: You told me that you had accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and that could never change.
Me: How old was I when I told you that, Mom, like 8.
Mom: No, you were 9.
Me: Wotthefuck, Mom.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  a. Not finding true happiness

True happiness can never be experienced as long as you believe there is something better waiting for you after you die. Until you realize that to experience true happiness you have to create heaven for yourself right here, right now, true happiness is beyond your grasp.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  b. Being damned in hell

You can optionally choose to create hell for yourself, right here, right now. But your suffering is limited to the length of your existence.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  c. "God" taking away all my "God-given" talents

Have you noticed any diminished capacity?

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  d. "God" taking away all my "blessings"

Have you noticed any degradation in your quality of life?

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  e. "God" having all the credit for all the things they have achieved and shit

So they don't credit themselves for their achievements? Do they have low self-esteem issues?

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  f. Them making sure that I WILL go to mass every Sunday *(FFFUUUUUU-)

If I was stoned, drunk, or even hungover, that could be fun.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  g. How in the name of flying fvck am I getting high grades in my Spirituality classes

Because you are astutely studying it, instead of blindly accepting it.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  h. Something about Ali saying that he was greater than god and how he is suffering the consequences right now. Meh, I didn't get it either

He's got Parkinson's and that was just plain mean. Not at all Christ-like.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  i. Being damned in hell

You can optionally choose to create hell for yourself, right here, right now. But your suffering is limited to the length of your existence.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  j. Me disappointing them so much

Shit, that's just what children do. I think that might be what they're supposed to do.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  k. How something will soon happen to me that will force me to believe in god

Let us know if such a thing happens.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  l. Them possibly enrolling me in a Catholic renewal crap or something

Well at least the people you meet there will be kindred spirits.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  m. How I broke their hearts because they raised me as a Catholic Sad

Shit, Mom. Shit, Dad. If that breaks your heart wait until you see what I'm gonna do later.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  n. How god loves me and wants me back

He can have me, as long as I don't have to believe in him.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  o. How if it wasn't for god we wouldn't be living as stable as we are today

Why not? Your family make their living off of preaching or something?

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  p. How I cannot achieve anything if I don't believe in god

Huh? That's all I got for this one.

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  q. Being damned in hell

(01-12-2011 06:37 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  In short, it was a shitstorm.... a fun one xD.

Sounds like it. But I think you're gonna be okay.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Jakes on them. There is no hell.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain