So I just told my parents about my Atheism :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 05:15 AM
RE: So I just told my parents about my Atheism :D
Good on you for doing it, no point in living a lie just to please others.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
03-12-2011, 10:31 PM
i too just came out atheist to my parents. they had about the same reaction yours did. on top of that i have their only grandkids which makes them even more hurt that i am taking them down with me. but they know that i have the power to withold visits with the grandkids which has given me and my husband some leverage. We wrote them a letter and expressed our rules for them to not indoctrinate our kids any longer. How after this christmas season the kids will no longer be singing in their church choir, will no longer be forced to pray, and if they must attend mass do not need to listen and obey. They have already had to mind my rules about not spanking - they used religion as an excuse to hit me and my brother and there was NO way i was letting my kids go through that - so instead they say things like "i wish i could hit you" and force them to kneel on gravel or hard floor. But they have been behaving for the most part for the past 12 years so I know they will follow whatever I ask even if reluctantly,

I agree that their hurtful words of damnation are not very "christian" of them. But i try to see it from their perspective - they really believe that me and my kids will go to hell and not be in heaven with them to praise god for eternity. They wonder where they went wrong, they hope it is just a phase and I will change my mind, they are praying for my non-existing soul.

big hugs to you and hope that they can learn to love you unconditionally like they should.
[+] 3 users Like niqi's post
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
(03-12-2011 10:31 PM)niqi Wrote:  They wonder where they went wrong, they hope it is just a phase and I will change my mind, they are praying for my non-existing soul.

It's them going through a phase of trying to reconcile rationalism with irrational beliefs, not you. I'm certain my dear old mom will be praying for my nonexistent soul until the day she dies. ... No biggie, she's my mom after all.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Ah, a great subject, I just love ranting about things like this. Here I come...

So, Hamata, you are a genius. Tell me, where can one get some dry ice?

As for the parents like this, does any of you care about YOUR life? Ask you parents, do they care about YOU and YOUR wishes at all, or are they so selfish they want only what THEY want? Do they ever listen to you, or they just pretend and in the end tell you what THEY expect form you? This is BS! They say they will make sure you go to mass every Sunday? Now you explain to them that it is not Christian way to force religion on anyone, and if they threaten with anything to go to church, then you will only hate Church and religions even more. If they want to send you to some Christian convention, call the police man, are you crazy, do not let anyone threaten you, take you away or brainwash you, it is not their right to do that against your will. When they start threating you, you start doing it back at them with police and your civil rights, first amendment and all that.

Now that you have started the talk, do not back down. But remember, never ever loose your grip, never yell, never raise your voice at them, be as civil and as polite as you can, just hold your ground.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post