So... I'll be voting in a church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2016, 12:25 PM
RE: So... I'll be voting in a church
(06-11-2016 11:59 AM)GEAUX Wrote:  Wait what?

I honestly never knew this was a thing. I grew up in a fairly small town. There was always some sort of government building around to use for voting, even if it was an old shed. I wonder why they use churches?

Because the church applied.

We had a few churches that did that. We also had schools.

They are compensated for it. It's not a big deal, usually in a different part, away from the sanctuary.

Although some did complain, since their religious belief prevented them from entering another church....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2016, 11:15 AM
I got a good laugh from this thread! Happy Monday!
08-11-2016, 05:41 PM
(06-11-2016 11:59 AM)GEAUX Wrote:  Wait what?

I honestly never knew this was a thing. I grew up in a fairly small town. There was always some sort of government building around to use for voting, even if it was an old shed. I wonder why they use churches?

In larger cities, there might not be enough government buildings to accommodate everyone. Here in Madison, Wisconsin, I always used to vote at the local police/fire station. Other people voted at the Lutheran Church across the street. This year, they switched my group to a park community center down the street, but there are still people voting at the police station and the church. And that's just in one small neighborhood. They use whatever buildings they can get, I think.
08-11-2016, 05:47 PM
I voted at a church here this morning. Didn't bother me any.

I remember voting at a private residence in their garage when I first started voting in the 80's. My parents voted at this same house for years.
08-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Voted in a church. It was really weird because I expected the crosses and stuff to be tastefully covered. They most definitely were not. In the auditorium where the poll booths were located. A huge cross loomed in the center, front of the room. Also when you walk in, a stone wall is etched with the word, "Believe," followed by an NT verse. To top it off, there was a table with coffee and candies that had a little display of money envelopes.
08-11-2016, 06:12 PM
I had to go to a bar to vote.

Well, I didn't have to, but we have to make choices, don't we?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2016, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2016 07:09 PM by Shai Hulud.)
A Catholic friend texted snidely about how it had to really get to those people who believe in separation of church and state, that he voted in a church.

(08-11-2016 06:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Voted in a church. It was really weird because I expected the crosses and stuff to be tastefully covered. They most definitely were not. In the auditorium where the poll booths were located. A huge cross loomed in the center, front of the room. Also when you walk in, a stone wall is etched with the word, "Believe," followed by an NT verse. To top it off, there was a table with coffee and candies that had a little display of money envelopes.

You sure you're not in West Virginia and voting at my mother's church? Tongue Early voted, so didn't get to see inside my Baptist polling place, but boy oh boy were the parking lot and Orthodox Church next to its parking lots filled.

(Which mom's church apparently had the police there earlier. One of her friends lives next door and said 4 police cruisers pulled up to it and left afterwards with someone who was screaming.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
08-11-2016, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was a cool church with nice art and stained glass, the one good thing about religion is the art...and the charity and stuff but mostly the art.

I voted at a school, all the little kiddies were running around at recess and I was thinking "Wow their futures are really hanging in the balance." so I decided not to go with my protest write in vote and voted for Hilary, but one day Captain Crunch will win and he'll lead us to greatness, mark my words.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post