So I'm looking for a flat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2016, 05:57 PM
So I'm looking for a flat
So now that my husband has a job too, we can finally afford to look for a bigger place so we can finally seriously plan a family.

So yesterday I looked on rent.ie and found a place that looked really nice. 2 rooms, kitchen, lots of light, newly furnished, 900 euro a month. Almost too good to be true for this city but you never know so I sent a message.
In essence I asked how much the deposit would be, if pets are allowed, and if I can view the place.

The owner of the place wrote back.
Told me a bit about himself in the fact that he leads a company in Sweden so he cannot come to Dublin blabla. He told me a few things sending good signals to be honest but he ignored the thing about me wanting to view the place. All he said about it that he promisses that the place looks like on the photos.

So I wrote back and said that it is sounding good to me. I clarified my earliest possible move date. Returned the favour of telling a bit about our reason to move and about us in general (quiet people, like gaming, planning family, pets, we work, etc). And I repeated my request to view the place.

He wrote back again saying that yes he agrees to rent the place to us. And here comes some odd stuff but understandable.
He wanted to do the first month (when we cannot take the place anyway) via AirBnB because he cannot be in the country and after the first month he can come to Dublin so we finalize proper rent agreement and so on. He was like, well you can book the place and then look at it and if you don't like it, you can cancel your booking and you will get your money (minus airbnb fees) back that day because AirBnB is holding it anyway.

This is when my eyebrows raise you know.
Not only did he not read properly what I told him about our move date (after all we have to give notice to our current landlord) but he ignored, for a second time, that I want to see the place before I commit.

So I gave him a last chance right now. I sent him back that we can apparently agree on most things. I told him our move date again and that we cannot do it before. And I insisted (I used the word "insist" at this point) that we see the place before agreeing. I proposed that his current tenants can show us the place if they agree and that we, in turn, will promise to make the visit short and inconvenient for them.

I mean it is a very usual and reasonable request to view a place before renting it. He is sending good signals apart from the rush and the fact that he keeps ignoring that I wanna see the place, that is why I am giving him this last chance. If he ignores it again, something is wrong or he is unreasonably stubborn, and in that case he lost a long term tenant.

Maybe sometimes things are really to good to be true, eh?

Well back to square one, just in case.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2016, 06:03 PM
RE: So I'm looking for a flat
(06-11-2016 05:57 PM)Leela Wrote:  So now that my husband has a job too, we can finally afford to look for a bigger place so we can finally seriously plan a family.

So yesterday I looked on rent.ie and found a place that looked really nice. 2 rooms, kitchen, lots of light, newly furnished, 900 euro a month. Almost too good to be true for this city but you never know so I sent a message.
In essence I asked how much the deposit would be, if pets are allowed, and if I can view the place.

The owner of the place wrote back.
Told me a bit about himself in the fact that he leads a company in Sweden so he cannot come to Dublin blabla. He told me a few things sending good signals to be honest but he ignored the thing about me wanting to view the place. All he said about it that he promisses that the place looks like on the photos.

So I wrote back and said that it is sounding good to me. I clarified my earliest possible move date. Returned the favour of telling a bit about our reason to move and about us in general (quiet people, like gaming, planning family, pets, we work, etc). And I repeated my request to view the place.

He wrote back again saying that yes he agrees to rent the place to us. And here comes some odd stuff but understandable.
He wanted to do the first month (when we cannot take the place anyway) via AirBnB because he cannot be in the country and after the first month he can come to Dublin so we finalize proper rent agreement and so on. He was like, well you can book the place and then look at it and if you don't like it, you can cancel your booking and you will get your money (minus airbnb fees) back that day because AirBnB is holding it anyway.

This is when my eyebrows raise you know.
Not only did he not read properly what I told him about our move date (after all we have to give notice to our current landlord) but he ignored, for a second time, that I want to see the place before I commit.

So I gave him a last chance right now. I sent him back that we can apparently agree on most things. I told him our move date again and that we cannot do it before. And I insisted (I used the word "insist" at this point) that we see the place before agreeing. I proposed that his current tenants can show us the place if they agree and that we, in turn, will promise to make the visit short and inconvenient for them.

I mean it is a very usual and reasonable request to view a place before renting it. He is sending good signals apart from the rush and the fact that he keeps ignoring that I wanna see the place, that is why I am giving him this last chance. If he ignores it again, something is wrong or he is unreasonably stubborn, and in that case he lost a long term tenant.

Maybe sometimes things are really to good to be true, eh?

Well back to square one, just in case.

Makes my spidey sense tingle.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
06-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Leave it and look elsewhere.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
06-11-2016, 06:12 PM
I would find another place. People do rental scams all the time.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-11-2016, 06:42 PM
He's out of the country. Not giving an answer on if you can go and view the property first. And wants you to airbnb the place for a month??

Yea.. pass. If I'm not meeting a landlord and/or property manager when viewing the property or not even allowed to view the property, I'm looking elsewhere.

I was literally just in this situation where we have to move. We found a place the other day but in every case when looking at property we meet a landlord/property manager and were able to view the property before making a decision. If he's not in the country and can't take care of the property he needs to hire a property management company, what do you expect kind of landlord he'll be like if he can't even arrange for you to see the property?

edit: Houses are like car colours. It's irrelevant what one you get, you'll grow to love it regardless.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
06-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Sounds like he's trying to rent you a property that he doesn't own. Trying to get as much money from you up-front before you get there and find out the property isn't for rent at all.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
06-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a scam ... run fast.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-11-2016, 12:02 AM
Send him an e-mail telling him you're a Nigerian Princess -- and you've got a deal for him -- if he'll just send you some money as a processing fee............................................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-11-2016, 12:05 AM
(07-11-2016 12:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Send him an e-mail telling him you're a Nigerian Princess -- and you've got a deal for him -- if he'll just send you some money as a processing fee............................................

You just reminded me of this good old gem.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-11-2016, 02:34 AM
Agree with consensus - you are looking at a scam here.

I have great pity for renters, my place may be a single room "apartment" but it is mine, paid for.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.