So I'm playing Fire Emblem: Awakening...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2014 10:47 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Wink So I'm playing Fire Emblem: Awakening...
Fire Emblem: Awakening is a strategy-RPG from Nintendo for their 3DS. So in addition to being a fantasy tactical turn-based strategy-RPG, there are little unique side mechanics that instantly mark the game as 'this shit is from Japan!'

Among them is a relationship system that helps your units fight better when next to each other or paired up, and can result in friendship, marriage, and even children between certain members of your army. This of course involves a fair bit of dialogue between the characters during their 'off time' between battles as their relationships progress. Long story short, two of my characters had one of the most interesting conversations I had seen yet, in that I was not at all expecting it to take the turn that it did. What do I mean, and why do I think a bunch atheists would potentially find it interesting? Well, here's the dialogue verbatim. It takes place between two females, Sully (a tomboyish knight and consummate exceptionalist) and Sumia (a very clumsy and yet extremely endearing young pegasus knight). So both being soldiers who employ mounted combat, naturally they talk about horses...

[Image: chara11.png]

^Sully...

[Image: chara06.png]

^...and Sumia.

Sully: Huh. When you put 'em side by side, there's hardly and difference at all... If not for the wings, pegasi and horses would look exactly the same.

Sumia: They even eat the same food! Maybe they're cousins of one sort or another.

Sully: It's just odd. How the hell did pegasi end up with wings?

Sumia: I've always wondered how horses lost theirs.

Sully: Har! I never thought of it that way! In either case, they're strange animals. Although I guess you can say that about almost anything. Dragons... People...

Sumia: I think that every creature is weird and wonderful in it's own way! ...Except cows. Cows just annoy me.

Sully: When I was a kid, I was taught that the gods made all the world's creatures. So then I asked who made the gods! ...Har! That shut 'em up right quick.

Sumia: Oh. I do so hate ponderous questions like that. They only serve to remind me how little we know about anything.

Sully: Yeah. I know how you feel. We make up all these stories and legends to explain crap we don't understand... But they usually make even less sense than just saying "we don't know"!

Sumia: That's how we end up fighting wars over ideas. Because no one knows who's right.

Sully: I guess war is inevitable when everyone has their own version of the truth.

Sumai: I'd like to think that one day we can live in a world that doesn't know war.

Sully: Know what? I think that day's coming. ...And maybe sooner than you think.

Sumia: That would give us more time to drink tea!

Sully: And talk about horses!

Sumia: Hee hee! Yes, of course.

*Sumia and Sully attained support level A*

What's that? Skepticism and a desire for peace being espoused by two people neck deep in dragons and war? Good on you Nintendo. Thumbsup

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Re: So I'm playing Fire Emblem: Awakening...
Huzzah! Burn the cows... er something

That's nice, a lot of rpgs have stories or side bits often exposing religious claims. It taught me to stay on my toes

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-01-2014, 02:00 AM
RE: So I'm playing Fire Emblem: Awakening...
I liked this line quite a bit from that exchange:

"I guess war is inevitable when everyone has their own version of the truth."

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody