So I made a little joke about God on a message board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2017, 09:12 PM
So I am a huge college football fan in the bible belt. I frequent a message board for my team where anything and everything is discussed. Personal insults are common, but I tend to stay away from any of that. Seems like every other thread is a prayer request / praise God for this or that. Someone posts a before and after pic of a highway in Houston to show how flooded the area is. People were praying for those affected, praying for this or that.

I make the following comment in response to someone saying God will see them through:

"God allowed the flood. After all, its kinda his thing."

Wow did things go down hill after that. I got tons of critical comments from other members and the owner of the site. I do admit that it was a bit tasteless given that it is a bad, bad situation for people in that area. I just couldn't take it any longer though. I also feel my logic is right on.

Needless to say that I not a member any longer. I think subconsciously I was trying to get banned. I am just around this wherever I go. Sometimes I get a bit fed up with the whole bit and spout off with a such a comment.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 21 users Like Korey B's post
30-08-2017, 09:28 PM
RE: So I made a little joke about God on a message board...
LOL. Good one. Laugh out load Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Except for Shai here on the forum I haven’t met many other religious people with a sense of humor about their beliefs. Apparently being religious causes you to lose your funny bone. Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
31-08-2017, 12:13 AM
(30-08-2017 09:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Except for Shai here on the forum I haven’t met many other religious people with a sense of humor about their beliefs. Apparently being religious causes you to lose your funny bone. Consider

Same with any authoritarian crowd. Laughter = threat. Plus if they can clutch their pearls and make out like "You're being so heartless towards the poor flood victims" it's so much the better from their point of view. They *thrive* off being victims. And literally any critical comment will throw them into a delicious spin-cycle of feeling oppressed and yelling about it.

OP, hopefully the over-the-top response to your comment also means that they knew how on point it was - there's got to be a few of them whose faith has been a little shaken by the so-shocking revelation that their God isn't all lollipops and rainbows.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 11 users Like morondog's post
31-08-2017, 12:17 AM
Too bad they are praying rather than actually doing something like sending water. Unlike Mexico.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 8 users Like Banjo's post
31-08-2017, 12:19 AM
(31-08-2017 12:17 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Too bad they are praying rather than actually doing something like sending water. Unlike Mexico.

Laughat As much as they probably do need supplies of water, that just struck me as a really funny response. "Oh you've had a flood? As humanitarian aid, we'll send you a shit-ton of water."

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
31-08-2017, 12:21 AM
(30-08-2017 09:12 PM)Korey B Wrote:  So I am a huge college football fan in the bible belt. I frequent a message board for my team where anything and everything is discussed. Personal insults are common, but I tend to stay away from any of that. Seems like every other thread is a prayer request / praise God for this or that. Someone posts a before and after pic of a highway in Houston to show how flooded the area is. People were praying for those affected, praying for this or that.

I make the following comment in response to someone saying God will see them through:

"God allowed the flood. After all, its kinda his thing."

Wow did things go down hill after that. I got tons of critical comments from other members and the owner of the site. I do admit that it was a bit tasteless given that it is a bad, bad situation for people in that area. I just couldn't take it any longer though. I also feel my logic is right on.

Needless to say that I not a member any longer. I think subconsciously I was trying to get banned. I am just around this wherever I go. Sometimes I get a bit fed up with the whole bit and spout off with a such a comment.

> To hell with them if they can't take a joke. You're better off here, anyway. Welcome to TTA. Thumbsup
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
31-08-2017, 01:14 AM
Folks,

This is my world! My world!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fchrWpPArEo

D. Smile
31-08-2017, 04:24 AM
Theists don't like being reminded that their god is more like Stalin than Gandhi.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
31-08-2017, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 06:03 AM by BikerDude.)
Take a message about how dire the situation is.
We are not very far away from a very serious tipping point.
It's possible that we may have reached it.
I fear that no matter what crimes Trump may be found guilty of nothing will happen.
Because he represents this "crusade".
The battle to overturn the constitution and sepeartion of church and state.
And for these people he could have accepted a check from Vladimir Putin on national television and they would still vote for him as long as he will follow through on working to turn back every progressive reform enacted since the fucking Calvinists. America is a very very very conservative and very religious country. It's easy to lose sight of that.
But it's an illusion.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/0...-and-state
Quote:Latest Trump Order Delivers 'Broadside to Separation of Church and State'
"It's clear that the Trump administration and Congressional leadership are using religion as a wedge to further divide the country and permit discrimination"
https://issuu.com/caseyercardona/docs/mi...tion_of_ch
http://www.businessinsider.com/separatio...ble-2017-7
Quote:Pence is not alone in that belief. In a recent survey, white evangelical Christians were the only group that believes Christians are more discriminated against than are Muslims. Ironically, white evangelical Christians are also the only group polled that favors the right of business owners to refuse service to gay and lesbian people on religious grounds.

In other words, they were the only ones who felt that discrimination on religious grounds was acceptable while, at the same time, feeling that they were the main victim of such discrimination.

Fortunately, the Founding Fathers put in place measures to stop people like Pence from forcing their beliefs on others. In addition to making the prohibition of a state religion the very first thing mentioned in the Bill of Rights, they also added checks and balances to ensure that the Supreme Court would prevent any such laws from being enacted.

It's all about numbers and I promise you the machine on the right knows exactly what they are doing.
They are purposefully provoking action. Just like pardoning Ass head. I still can't remember how to spell his name.
Creating sides and getting people pissed. They thrive on it.
And it pretty much guarantees that the pubs will not break from him.
Do not delude yourself into thinking Trump and company don't know what they are doing.
It's not just Trump. There is a whole machine of think tanks and operatives that are working the numbers.
If people haven't figured that out yet they are kidding themselves.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post