So I made a little joke about God on a message board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 05:54 AM
RE: So I made a little joke about God on a message board...
(31-08-2017 04:24 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Theists don't like being reminded that their god is more like Stalin than Gandhi.

Don't waste your breath.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
31-08-2017, 06:36 AM
(30-08-2017 09:12 PM)Korey B Wrote:  I make the following comment in response to someone saying God will see them through:

"God allowed the flood. After all, its kinda his thing."

Wow did things go down hill after that. I got tons of critical comments from other members and the owner of the site. I do admit that it was a bit tasteless given that it is a bad, bad situation for people in that area. I just couldn't take it any longer though. I also feel my logic is right on.

Your logic was correct, but no good deed goes unpunished. People have to save face before they can admit they were wrong, and they usually do that by equivocating somehow. They always accuse you of being hateful rather than logical.

The good news is that the relevance of your comment might sink in later for a few of your readers.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
31-08-2017, 06:47 AM
(30-08-2017 09:12 PM)Korey B Wrote:  So I am a huge college football fan in the bible belt. I frequent a message board for my team where anything and everything is discussed. Personal insults are common, but I tend to stay away from any of that. Seems like every other thread is a prayer request / praise God for this or that. Someone posts a before and after pic of a highway in Houston to show how flooded the area is. People were praying for those affected, praying for this or that.

I make the following comment in response to someone saying God will see them through:

"God allowed the flood. After all, its kinda his thing."

Wow did things go down hill after that. I got tons of critical comments from other members and the owner of the site. I do admit that it was a bit tasteless given that it is a bad, bad situation for people in that area. I just couldn't take it any longer though. I also feel my logic is right on.

Needless to say that I not a member any longer. I think subconsciously I was trying to get banned. I am just around this wherever I go. Sometimes I get a bit fed up with the whole bit and spout off with a such a comment.

I totally get where you are coming from! I have had to bite my tongue so many times with all of the "Prayers for Houston" posts. Somebody on my FB actually posted the following: " Hurricane Harvey is GOD stopping the race war that was starting...showing us that we CAN and WILL work together".....

It is so exhausting listening to these people and their idiotic ways of thinking. I find that post to be extremely disrespectful to the victims but the author of the post didn't receive any backlash.....
[+] 3 users Like KingofKings's post
31-08-2017, 07:27 AM
America is weird.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 7 users Like Banjo's post
31-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Promise to do the same here if we start praising god.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
31-08-2017, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 07:53 AM by Loom.)
I was just talking with my mom about Harvey. Well, not really, I had to bite my tongue while she went on and on about how she doesn't understand why it's part of god's plan but it's ok because it is.

So wanted to tell her that god's plan was indistinguishable from no plan at all.

But then she started raving about how Satan had a hold over the Earth and we all had to beg--I mean pray for god to do something.

So I had to tune her out. There's only so much crazy I can listen to before I need to say something, and that would undoubtedly hurt our relationship.

It's funny how Christians are the ones with a persecution complex, yet I have to stay silent in my own home, with my own family, and consider myself lucky I wasn't disowned.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 8 users Like Loom's post
31-08-2017, 08:33 AM
It must be difficult having to figure out the reason behind events like this. Life is so much easier when you realize that shit happens and you just have to deal with it as best you can.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 10 users Like unfogged's post
31-08-2017, 11:00 AM
(31-08-2017 05:54 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 04:24 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Theists don't like being reminded that their god is more like Stalin than Gandhi.

Don't waste your breath.
I don't deem it waste.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
31-08-2017, 12:14 PM
(31-08-2017 07:44 AM)Loom Wrote:  I was just talking with my mom about Harvey.

What??

You can see him, too?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 5 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
31-08-2017, 03:29 PM
[/quote]

> To hell with them if they can't take a joke. You're better off here, anyway. Welcome to TTA. Thumbsup
[/quote]

Hey thank you Gwaithmir and the rest of you in this thread. Actually, that very much brightened my spirits. I mean, I'm not too upset about leaving that message board. I think I was more frustrated by the ignorance of people I come across on a daily basis. Further, since I am in the minority in terms of spiritual beliefs, I was considered hateful or just plain wrong.

I often feel like I have to hold back my thoughts on things when I interact with society in general. People are free to say things like "God led me to become a teacher", "I'm praying for you", "it's all in God's will". If a respond that I am an atheist, then I have offered offense. Do they realize that I didn't make an assertion? They are the ones claiming knowledge of a supernatural act. I am just saying I lack belief in the supernatural.

I am new here, but it is rather refreshing to speak of such things. I am just as proud of my lack of beliefs as others are in their beliefs. Some times I lose sight of this.
[+] 5 users Like Korey B's post