So I made a little joke about God on a message board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 08:33 PM
RE: So I made a little joke about God on a message board...
(31-08-2017 03:29 PM)Korey B Wrote:  I am new here, but it is rather refreshing to speak of such things. I am just as proud of my lack of beliefs as others are in their beliefs. Some times I lose sight of this.

There is (as this issue began on a sports forum) a sports area on this forum. Feel free to start some sports smack talk there...though I don't think this is a very sports interested crowd. But you never know. (Go Texans)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
01-09-2017, 12:18 AM
(30-08-2017 09:12 PM)Korey B Wrote:  So I am a huge college football fan in the bible belt. I frequent a message board for my team where anything and everything is discussed. Personal insults are common, but I tend to stay away from any of that. Seems like every other thread is a prayer request / praise God for this or that. Someone posts a before and after pic of a highway in Houston to show how flooded the area is. People were praying for those affected, praying for this or that.

I make the following comment in response to someone saying God will see them through:

"God allowed the flood. After all, its kinda his thing."

Wow did things go down hill after that. I got tons of critical comments from other members and the owner of the site. I do admit that it was a bit tasteless given that it is a bad, bad situation for people in that area. I just couldn't take it any longer though. I also feel my logic is right on.

Needless to say that I not a member any longer. I think subconsciously I was trying to get banned. I am just around this wherever I go. Sometimes I get a bit fed up with the whole bit and spout off with a such a comment.

Yeah, looks like they forgot about Noah. Some Christians they are!

(31-08-2017 12:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 12:17 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Too bad they are praying rather than actually doing something like sending water. Unlike Mexico.

Laughat As much as they probably do need supplies of water, that just struck me as a really funny response. "Oh you've had a flood? As humanitarian aid, we'll send you a shit-ton of water."

Dude, it's funny how closely we laugh at the same things. That was very close to my reaction as well -- "Pretty sure they've got enough water, pal."

Pardon me while I go attend ritual cleansing for being such a shit. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
01-09-2017, 01:25 AM
I should have written "drinking water". Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
01-09-2017, 05:58 AM
(30-08-2017 09:12 PM)Korey B Wrote:  So I am a huge college football fan in the bible belt. I frequent a message board for my team where anything and everything is discussed. Personal insults are common, but I tend to stay away from any of that. Seems like every other thread is a prayer request / praise God for this or that. Someone posts a before and after pic of a highway in Houston to show how flooded the area is. People were praying for those affected, praying for this or that.

I make the following comment in response to someone saying God will see them through:

Wow did things go down hill after that. I got tons of critical comments from other members and the owner of the site. I do admit that it was a bit tasteless given that it is a bad, bad situation for people in that area. I just couldn't take it any longer though. I also feel my logic is right on.

Needless to say that I not a member any longer. I think subconsciously I was trying to get banned. I am just around this wherever I go. Sometimes I get a bit fed up with the whole bit and spout off with a such a comment.

Funny how divine floods are righteous in other people's back yards ( because sin) but not in the Christian's back yard, isn't it?

I feel for ya, Korey B. And I feel relief that I'm on the other side of the world in Australia where we don't have a Bible Belt as such, though conservative christians are well and truly over represented in our federal parliament - that's why we have the same sex arriage "debate" happening despite 2/3rds of the electorate supporting same sex marriage for more than a decade.
[+] 2 users Like Sushisnake's post
01-09-2017, 06:49 PM
[quote/]

I feel for ya, Korey B. And I feel relief that I'm on the other side of the world in Australia where we don't have a Bible Belt as such, though conservative christians are well and truly over represented in our federal parliament - that's why we have the same sex arriage "debate" happening despite 2/3rds of the electorate supporting same sex marriage for more than a decade.
[/quote]

That's awesome. BTW, I fully support gay marriage. Gay people should have every opportunity to be as unhappy as the rest of us.
Cool
[+] 1 user Likes Korey B's post
02-09-2017, 04:54 AM

So I wonder if they would get upset if you talked seriously about how god wanted a certain team to win?

I suppose the most benign way to view it is people want to desperately assert that things make sense in accordance to a plan, even when it's a random/chaotic event. It's not a comforting thought to realize that your life can be impacted and even terminated by a mindless/purposeless event, but that's exactly the evidence you are presented with during events such as natural disasters.

It just seems so much more straightforward and honest to admit that and stop trying to post-hoc everything to fit under a god umbrella when it shouldn't be.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post