So, I ripped into this guy... too much?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2015, 08:25 AM
So, I ripped into this guy... too much?
This guy wrote... from what I can tell... a completely uneducated and stupid review for MKX.

Article is here.

My comment is in the comments section.

What I wrote:

So... this is what journalism has devolved to, eh? My hard earned journalism degree is worth spit because any goofus with an uneducated/inexperienced opinion can write a trite blurb and pass it off as an "article".

"I didn’t play Mortal Kombat. Not the 2011 one, anyway."

WTF? You didn't? You played a couple of matches of MKX and somehow you gained the ability to bitch about a series of games and spew negativity towards something you LITERALLY (I use this word in its actual sense) have a minute amount of invested time? ...and you call this journalism? Wow.

MK9 and MKX have been critically acclaimed; moreover, they are wonderful, revolutionary fighting games. They bring freshness and fun to the genre. You aren't qualified to have an opinion about a fighting game... let alone write an article on it. I've had vast experience with Tekkens, SFs, and MKs... and while all of the games have a different way of playing... MK is the most accessible to casual and hardcore fans in terms of playability. Tell you what. Go try and play the new Tekken. Pick King. Try and do his moves. You'll soon appreciate the way MK allows new players to start competing and how good this game is. Not knocking Tekken... I love it, but it would make your little head explode (good fatality, eh?).

"I did play Mortal Kombat in the arcades when I was young, though. It wasn’t a good game, really, but it was definitely fun to punch off my friend’s digital head."

Where did you learn to write? Speak And Spell? It WAS a good game. It is a fighting game. It was revolutionary. It was critically acclaimed. It WAS a good game, dumbass. In your opinion, it wasn't a good game. That's fine, but don't try and shove matter-of-factness down people's throats when it's really just an aforementioned uneducated/inexperienced opinion. I'm still baffled how the editors allow such rancid, childish journalism here.

"It’s gaming cynicism at its finest. “You don’t want to put in the work?” the game says. “Fine. Pay for the privilege.” You can avoid it. You can go into the training mode and practice, though you don’t immediately have access to the second tier of fatalities (far more elaborate and brutal than their first-tier counterparts). You have to play the game to unlock those. It’s a cash grab. And for what? To experience the disgusting imagery that the good people at NetherRealm Studios came up with."

WTF is wrong with "paying for the privilege?" WTF is wrong with people buying and paying for something they want? If they are too lazy to learn the combos (which is, to this gamer, unfathomably mind-boggling), and they want to pay for an easy fatality... then fine. Let them. NRS should stand to make money off this. Why not? That's capitalism. It in no way, whatsoever, affects other players. It doesn't change the game experience for those that are competing, and it's a completely harmless microtransaction (unlike other games that give players distinct advantages with the advent of microtransactions).

Moreover, your opinion on the violence is ridiculous. You'll be hard pressed to find someone that is unaware that MK has violence and fatalities. I guess I should be looking forward to your upcoming review of the new Beretta M9A3 and your disgust at how this gun "actually fires bullets".

You're not qualified to write on this subject. From your article I can tell you don't play fighting games, and I'm pretty sure you aren't a gamer either. Stick to writing what you know. Your article sucks because you have no idea what you're talking about. You're embarrassing other journalist (such as myself). Stop it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like kingschosen's post
22-04-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: So, I ripped into this guy... too much?
As a gamer, I thought the comment was pretty spot-on.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
22-04-2015, 10:32 AM
(22-04-2015 08:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This guy wrote... from what I can tell... a completely uneducated and stupid review for MKX.

Article is here.

My comment is in the comments section.

What I wrote:

So... this is what journalism has devolved to, eh? My hard earned journalism degree is worth spit because any goofus with an uneducated/inexperienced opinion can write a trite blurb and pass it off as an "article".

"I didn’t play Mortal Kombat. Not the 2011 one, anyway."

WTF? You didn't? You played a couple of matches of MKX and somehow you gained the ability to bitch about a series of games and spew negativity towards something you LITERALLY (I use this word in its actual sense) have a minute amount of invested time? ...and you call this journalism? Wow.

MK9 and MKX have been critically acclaimed; moreover, they are wonderful, revolutionary fighting games. They bring freshness and fun to the genre. You aren't qualified to have an opinion about a fighting game... let alone write an article on it. I've had vast experience with Tekkens, SFs, and MKs... and while all of the games have a different way of playing... MK is the most accessible to casual and hardcore fans in terms of playability. Tell you what. Go try and play the new Tekken. Pick King. Try and do his moves. You'll soon appreciate the way MK allows new players to start competing and how good this game is. Not knocking Tekken... I love it, but it would make your little head explode (good fatality, eh?).

"I did play Mortal Kombat in the arcades when I was young, though. It wasn’t a good game, really, but it was definitely fun to punch off my friend’s digital head."

Where did you learn to write? Speak And Spell? It WAS a good game. It is a fighting game. It was revolutionary. It was critically acclaimed. It WAS a good game, dumbass. In your opinion, it wasn't a good game. That's fine, but don't try and shove matter-of-factness down people's throats when it's really just an aforementioned uneducated/inexperienced opinion. I'm still baffled how the editors allow such rancid, childish journalism here.

"It’s gaming cynicism at its finest. “You don’t want to put in the work?” the game says. “Fine. Pay for the privilege.” You can avoid it. You can go into the training mode and practice, though you don’t immediately have access to the second tier of fatalities (far more elaborate and brutal than their first-tier counterparts). You have to play the game to unlock those. It’s a cash grab. And for what? To experience the disgusting imagery that the good people at NetherRealm Studios came up with."

WTF is wrong with "paying for the privilege?" WTF is wrong with people buying and paying for something they want? If they are too lazy to learn the combos (which is, to this gamer, unfathomably mind-boggling), and they want to pay for an easy fatality... then fine. Let them. NRS should stand to make money off this. Why not? That's capitalism. It in no way, whatsoever, affects other players. It doesn't change the game experience for those that are competing, and it's a completely harmless microtransaction (unlike other games that give players distinct advantages with the advent of microtransactions).

Moreover, your opinion on the violence is ridiculous. You'll be hard pressed to find someone that is unaware that MK has violence and fatalities. I guess I should be looking forward to your upcoming review of the new Beretta M9A3 and your disgust at how this gun "actually fires bullets".

You're not qualified to write on this subject. From your article I can tell you don't play fighting games, and I'm pretty sure you aren't a gamer either. Stick to writing what you know. Your article sucks because you have no idea what you're talking about. You're embarrassing other journalist (such as myself). Stop it.

[Image: 51824340.jpg]

Thumbsup

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 9 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-04-2015, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2015 11:36 AM by Adrianime.)
J-dog, you are a journalist? I didn't know.

This reminds me of a review of Dark Souls where the writer started claiming that you shouldn't play the game because you have to invest too much time to get good at it and you don't get anything out of it like you would if you were reading a book instead. Wish I could find that review...

EDIT:
here it is

And here is the more entertaining commentary on that review

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
22-04-2015, 11:52 AM
(22-04-2015 08:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So... this is what journalism has devolved to, eh? My hard earned journalism degree is worth spit because any goofus with an uneducated/inexperienced opinion can write a trite blurb and pass it off as an "article".

FINISH HIM!

(22-04-2015 08:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You're not qualified to write on this subject. From your article I can tell you don't play fighting games, and I'm pretty sure you aren't a gamer either. Stick to writing what you know. Your article sucks because you have no idea what you're talking about. You're embarrassing other journalist (such as myself). Stop it.

FATALITY

Yeah, it's fairly deserved. He self-admittedly doesn't know what he's talking about, and he's complaining about a form of pay-to-play that doesn't even matter (unlocking cosmetics as opposed to gaining an actual advantage in play).

I'm actually curious to see what the games are like, now. I haven't played MK since the early 2000s (I grew up on 1 - 3 in the arcades), and I haven't really touched any fighting games since Tekken 5.
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Video-game reviewers are journalists? As a 25-year journalist/editor/publisher, that's news to me.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
23-04-2015, 12:27 AM
(22-04-2015 09:07 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Video-game reviewers are journalists? As a 25-year journalist/editor/publisher, that's news to me.

Yes, as much as someone who reviews movies or books can be. Drinking Beverage

Just because the medium is newer doesn't mean it's any less meaningful.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Lolz. Yeah, that was over the top. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
23-04-2015, 01:42 AM
The problem I'd have with a game like MK is that its characters aren't characters that evoke any emotional stake. Here's the next billion dollar progression for games like MK: the player selects facial likenesses from his facebook collection or other sources and annihilates his irritating boss, irritating neighbor, irritating family member, etc. Those are fantasies we indulge everyday; it's about time they make it to the screens that are increasingly becoming our surrogate lives.

And why stop at facial likeness - enable wholesale user defined anatomical configuration - your adversaries as plump effete clumsy bumpkins and your own avatar as 10 foot man of steel. Adversaries with circulatory systems with 5 times normal human blood volume for more splashy lacerations, bones that shatter like glass for more satisfying stomp gratification, and the face of your most despised office associate, DMV clerk, landlord, obnoxious pet owner or most recent Jehovah's Witness to blot your front porch with his shadow.

MK8. This Time It's Personal.

Laugh out load
23-04-2015, 07:06 AM
(23-04-2015 12:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 09:07 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Video-game reviewers are journalists? As a 25-year journalist/editor/publisher, that's news to me.

Yes, as much as someone who reviews movies or books can be. Drinking Beverage

Just because the medium is newer doesn't mean it's any less meaningful.

Don't get me wrong, I know the medium well, and at my last newspaper we had someone who reviewed video games (until cutbacks), but I don't think of reviewers as journalists, just reviewers. But I guess that sounds pompous or something, so OK, I'll change my opinion.

See how that's done theists?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post