So I tried to sit and listen...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2011, 07:50 PM

So I tried to sit and listen...
So Frank Turek, author of i don't have enough faith to be an atheist, came to OSU campus to speak. I went so I could point out some of his errors at Q&A. Well, I sat and listened, and listened. His reasoning was rife in logical fallacies, still I grit my teeth and kept on any way, hoping that perhaps once he got into the bible stuff he would start attacking other faiths and not athiests.

I was wrong. It got much worse. It culminated in, "Science doesn't say things, scientists do." And after I heard him give examples about how scientists don't believe in God so they can be immoral, I got up and left.

Anyone else done the same thing? I don't know if I just don't have enough tolerance for it, or that my study in logic has made it intolerant to me (imagine if you're a grammar pundit and someone is walking around declaring bad grammar as right).
Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2011, 10:35 PM

RE: So I tried to sit and listen...
Let me guess, he believes in Intelligent Design?
25-02-2011, 11:08 PM

(25-02-2011 10:35 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  Let me guess, he believes in Intelligent Design?

Oh yes, big proponent.
25-02-2011, 11:28 PM

lol.. like trying to watch Ben Stein's film. What a load of propagandistic horsecrap I turned it off after 10 minutes.
26-02-2011, 01:22 AM

(25-02-2011 11:28 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  lol.. like trying to watch Ben Stein's film. What a load of propagandistic horsecrap I turned it off after 10 minutes.

He actually used it as a reference to the Dawkins interview and twisted what he said into, "Dawkins believes in God."

And he kept mentioning his debates with Christopher Hitchens, which are found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks9G0z4Ahng.

You can see how he uses his charm and humor and then subtly twists things and uses faulty logic.
26-02-2011, 01:29 AM

Lol there have been many times where someone will just start talking and I'll give it 5 seconds and be all "Ehhh... no" and leave. There was a religious preacher who came to my college campus a while back and I was doing the same thing as you, going to give some Q and A but after he started suggesting leaves to be evidence of a god, I just couldn't. I was laughing so hard.
26-02-2011, 11:41 AM

So you're an OSU student? I live in Reynoldsburg and I'm an OSU alum.
26-02-2011, 02:38 PM

(26-02-2011 11:41 AM)Dregs Wrote:  So you're an OSU student? I live in Reynoldsburg and I'm an OSU alum.

Indeed I am =P
27-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Completely understandable, there are plenty of times where you're put face to face with something so preposterous you can't believe anyone would listen. And so trying to bring a more rational view seems moot, because anyone who can comprehend rational thought must get it..... I've left a lot of places that I just couldn't stand listening to the preaching. No reason to go somewhere and be disruptive, why fuel it any more than they do?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2011, 05:07 PM
(26-02-2011 02:38 PM)Sacrieur Wrote:  
(26-02-2011 11:41 AM)Dregs Wrote:  So you're an OSU student? I live in Reynoldsburg and I'm an OSU alum.

Indeed I am =P

and so 2 more people are added to the "bad" list.

WE ARE!!!!

[Image: Penn%20State%20logo.gif]

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply