So, I've been approved to start teaching in church again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2012, 02:39 AM
RE: So, I've been approved to start teaching in church again.
(12-06-2012 09:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Woah, Mark! Mofo ain't going to New Guinea to mess with the natives. We're talking adults, southern Baptists at that. Ain't no innocence there. Tongue

I mean, I don't see how he can make it worse. Thumbsup
They are innocent in the sense they are looking for answers. There ain't no answers worth knowing in the bible. That should be general knowledge, but unfortunately most people don't realise it. Offering them the bible too often precludes them finding real answers to problems. That is wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
13-06-2012, 02:50 AM
(12-06-2012 09:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 08:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Shame on you for pretentiously condemning my chosen path.

Leads to damnation, son. Guy's trying to save yer soul. Big Grin

I'm thinking the problem with Mark is in doing all that research. Focusing like that develops the "us versus them" mentality, and when you start sounding Christiany, it brings out the generic anti-Christian attitude. I'm thinking. OC, the guy can speak for himself, but he got himself mired in that kind perspective in the past, with Egor.
Egor was profoundly offending and upsetting people. He had to be pulled into line. KC is polite and deserves respect, and (i think) imagines he is helping people by teaching them about the bible. I hope I haven't upset him, but rather helped him look at what he's doing from a different angle. I , in turn, will try to look at what I'm doing from KC's angle.
13-06-2012, 03:13 AM
(12-06-2012 09:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 09:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  As HOC said, it is very easy to fall into the category of disliking religion to the point of despising its propagation and/or continued existence. Especially when there are numerous reasons to hate organized religion (like the Catholic church's ban on condoms in Africa and opposition to birth control) and a lot of reasons as yet unmentioned from personal experiences with religion.

It is important to separate the individual from the belief system. I despise religion, but not the individuals who follow religion, just like I despise Conservatives, but not the individuals that follow it. I disagree with most of what religion teaches, but I don't know what you are going to be teaching, which is why I am interested to see. If your sermons are anti-gay, I'm going to be upset, but my guess is that the baptist church you will be teaching at will probably leave hot-button topics like that off of the table so as to avoid controversy.

I understand, but I just assumed, because of his intelligence, that Mark was beyond hypocrisy. He is acting no different that religious zealots who condemn an atheistic lifestyle.
Hang on....I'm a lot less intelligent than a lot of people here.

I "preach" a totally different philosophy from religious zealots. I say we need no book, no guru, no leader to guide us towards meaning and happiness. We discover these things for ourselves, perhaps picking and choosing from other's ideas. We are all unique individuals.

As soon as we believe in leaders, gurus and mantras we become sheep...easily led, fooled and taken advantage of.

Hence there is no one such thing as "an atheistic lifestyle." An atheist refuses to be a sheep by believing in a hypothetical god or those pushing that agenda. He or she is an individual with a healthy self respect. This is what I want for my fellow man.

Jeebus is the lazy man's generic, default solution to meaning and happiness. What is more, "his" ideas are immoral. Lazy searchers get second rate solutions, and I believe everyone deserves the chance to find first rate solutions.
13-06-2012, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2012 03:41 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(12-06-2012 10:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 10:15 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ditto to Chas.
Don't confuse our acceptance of you has a fun dude as meaning we accept what you believe and how you choose to share those insane beliefs with other people.

I'm aware of that.

But, in the same way that I accept this site as a way for atheists to learn and congregate, you should do that same for my church.

This site doesn't shove atheism down my throat - I choose to be here. You accept and welcome me here. The same for my church if one of you came.

I am teaching Christianity in a Christian church and telling atheists about it because I am a member of the community. I'm not asking that you accept what I'm teaching for your personal belief.

It is no different from you teaching atheism to atheists. You're not asking me to believe what you believe; however, I have no right to condemn what you're doing since your audience is as you and what you teach.
Sorry KC, you're just plain wrong here. You are implying atheism is a type of religion, just as Christianity is. Yet consider history. Atheism has never hurt anyone (some atheists have, but that's irrelevant). Consider the atrocities committed in the name of Christianity.

Think of how in centuries past, starting in the fourth, Churches have proven themselves intolerant, zealous and violent. They slaughtered or imprisoned their opposition and burned libraries, universities and all literature of which they disapproved. Think of all the cruel wars, the persecutions, the hatred and bitterness, the taking of people’s real estate and other assets, the sale of indulgences, the opposition to science and medicine, and the hypocrisy of those at the top. Then mull over how they inserted exclusively Christian dogma into schools and the resultant indoctrination of children; the singing and the prayers, the door-knocking, and all the other advertising. Think of the cover-ups of sexual abuse. Reflect on how they have always tried to tell people what to think and how to behave by promising them heaven and threatening hell. Churches have reined supreme using indoctrination, lies, deception, wars, subjugation, torture, and murder. They claim to sanctify life, yet they have engaged in the killing of millions over the centuries. By any measure, their behaviour throughout history has been far more terrifying and bloody than all the other religions of the world combined, whereas the atheist has never hurt a soul because of his atheism.

And that's just the history. Don't for a minute think the damage is not still going on today.
13-06-2012, 08:30 AM
(13-06-2012 02:39 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 09:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Woah, Mark! Mofo ain't going to New Guinea to mess with the natives. We're talking adults, southern Baptists at that. Ain't no innocence there. Tongue

I mean, I don't see how he can make it worse. Thumbsup
They are innocent in the sense they are looking for answers. There ain't no answers worth knowing in the bible. That should be general knowledge, but unfortunately most people don't realise it. Offering them the bible too often precludes them finding real answers to problems. That is wrong.
I'm prejudiced here. They ain't looking for answers, they're looking for confirmation. And right and wrong are local concerns. Like how if I'm exposed to someone asking questions of math and science, I gotta go come up with some answers for 'em. It's the curse of being a "natural born mathematician." Can't help it. Cause math is love and joy and stuff; I ain't sharing math so much as love and joy. So even if I'm wrong, I can't be wrong. That's the read I get off KC. It would be more wrong to suppress his natural tendency to teach.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-06-2012, 08:36 AM
(12-06-2012 07:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Out of curiosity, are they foot-washing Baptists or all-over Baptists?

Foot-washing or all-over Baptists... that is so hard core... even sounds kinda pervy. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
13-06-2012, 08:39 AM
(12-06-2012 07:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Out of curiosity, are they foot-washing Baptists or all-over Baptists?

Excuse me for having absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-06-2012, 08:48 AM
(13-06-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

There's no excuse for you. Laughat

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
13-06-2012, 09:04 AM
(13-06-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Geez, KC, you need to get out more. Big Grin

What method of baptism does that particular sect use?
"all-over" == full immersion
"foot-washing" == dunk the feet

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-06-2012, 09:35 AM
(13-06-2012 09:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Excuse me for having absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Geez, KC, you need to get out more. Big Grin

What method of baptism does that particular sect use?
"all-over" == full immersion
"foot-washing" == dunk the feet
Let me guess! The full meal deal or a bit of both. If my northern town does this, then KC's southern home must! Smile