So, I've been approved to start teaching in church again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 12:05 AM
RE: So, I've been approved to start teaching in church again.
(13-06-2012 11:58 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 08:30 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm prejudiced here. They ain't looking for answers, they're looking for confirmation. And right and wrong are local concerns. Like how if I'm exposed to someone asking questions of math and science, I gotta go come up with some answers for 'em. It's the curse of being a "natural born mathematician." Can't help it. Cause math is love and joy and stuff; I ain't sharing math so much as love and joy. So even if I'm wrong, I can't be wrong. That's the read I get off KC. It would be more wrong to suppress his natural tendency to teach.

HOC...I hear you. I wouldn't presume to suggest he shouldn't teach. It is WHAT he wants to teach that is the issue. I guess that is what we should be discussing...is it moral/ethical to teach the bible? I say no.
Same as I would say "no" to people teaching kids that smoking is healthy.
That's the problem. They aren't kids. KC, regardless of whether or not I think his truth claims are true, is not teaching it to poor, susceptible children. So be it if grownups want to learn this religious trash, let them. It is only a problem when children are taught nonsense, and when children are physically, emotionally, sexually, socially, harmed. Religion, to me, is dangerous, but if a GROWN UP has chosen to believe in it, so be it.

The only problem is that I think they should have more sense if they grow up with scientific, and a more evidence based world view.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
14-06-2012, 12:41 AM
(13-06-2012 09:38 AM)kim Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 02:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Egor was profoundly offending and upsetting people. He had to be pulled into line.

You are completely incorrect in this view. I know... I watched a great deal of it.

Egor was more than profoundly offending - his behavior was completely disgraceful and inhumane. However no one pulled him "into line". Egor got his own shit together all by himself. And he worked damn fucking hard on it... he's still kooky, but at least he's thinking and developing himself. It is of course all about the self.

When you debate, does someone pull you into line, Mark? Someone may suggest an alternate view which you must then consider and put through your personal process of rational thought, and only then if you logically come up with a revised perspective, do you change your mind. The only person you can control is yourself. The only mind you can change is your own.

One can have an influence on another.
Given the choice of having a bone-headed moron guiding other passive morons through ridiculous and abhorrent literature, or providing those passive morons with a bone-headed moron capable of logical thought, who may be able to suggest an alternative view which he can teach them to consider in a rational manner... I choose bone-headed moron number two.

I look to Kingsy to activate a couple of atrophied brain cells in his retarded, Christee suck-ups idea hungry students, and quite possibly provide some germination of rational thought and logic for their addled minds to begin to ponder their own path of escape. True, he could very well just heap erroneous fuel onto an already Earth scorching blaze, but teaching people to think logically and rationally is all I expect of a teacher.

If you convey to someone how to think, you are a teacher... if you convey to someone what to think, you are a preacher. This seems to be a confusing issue for some. I guess I'm lucky; my retard big brother is a Master Teacher; he teaches teachers to teach. He's still a fucking retard. Dodgy
OOOpps! Liked your quirky post so much I rushed back to re check Mark..............wanted to reply to him; gave him a like by mistake ........SHIT!............tOO TIRED , TOO OLD Weeping
14-06-2012, 12:55 AM
(12-06-2012 11:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 10:46 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You are teaching Christianity in a Christian church and coming to an atheist forum to share your excitement and expecting us to say, "Bully for you!" There is no hypocrisy here. You know this is an environment that is hostile to your religion. If you were in a religiously neutral or even agnostic forum, then you can cry over the harsh treatment. Obviously I can't speak for a community of atheists, but I don't think the majority of us think what you're doing is a good thing when it means propagating a worldview we consider delusional at best and insidiously dangerous at worst. Your analogy of an atheist teaching atheism of atheists falls short. For one thing, for the most part atheists are not organized. More importantly, what if you were teaching a class on how to cook babies? While we joke about the topic, if you were doing it for real, we wouldn't say, "Awwww...look how cute KC is, teaching his little Sunday School class on cooking babies. We support your right to do so!" Wrong...what you're teaching is just as silly and I do not admire the effort.

I guess I thought we were past the point where I was still being judged on my personal beliefs.

I figured most would see me as an individual. Just like other individuals share things to the forum about their life, I sought to do so.

I didn't ask for anyone to accept or revel in the fact that I can teach again. I was simply sharing it with the forum like I would anything else.

If you have a chip on your shoulder about religion, take it up with the person that put it there.
If you are really sincere follow your dream.
Is that the U.S. Minister for Education?
Was he a Calvinist?
I like the pooch..................... Angel
14-06-2012, 01:22 AM
(14-06-2012 12:41 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 09:38 AM)kim Wrote:  You are completely incorrect in this view. I know... I watched a great deal of it.

Egor was more than profoundly offending - his behavior was completely disgraceful and inhumane. However no one pulled him "into line". Egor got his own shit together all by himself. And he worked damn fucking hard on it... he's still kooky, but at least he's thinking and developing himself. It is of course all about the self.

When you debate, does someone pull you into line, Mark? Someone may suggest an alternate view which you must then consider and put through your personal process of rational thought, and only then if you logically come up with a revised perspective, do you change your mind. The only person you can control is yourself. The only mind you can change is your own.

Given the choice of having a bone-headed moron guiding other passive morons through ridiculous and abhorrent literature, or providing those passive morons with a bone-headed moron capable of logical thought, who may be able to suggest an alternative view which he can teach them to consider in a rational manner... I choose bone-headed moron number two.

I look to Kingsy to activate a couple of atrophied brain cells in his retarded, Christee suck-ups idea hungry students, and quite possibly provide some germination of rational thought and logic for their addled minds to begin to ponder their own path of escape. True, he could very well just heap erroneous fuel onto an already Earth scorching blaze, but teaching people to think logically and rationally is all I expect of a teacher.

If you convey to someone how to think, you are a teacher... if you convey to someone what to think, you are a preacher. This seems to be a confusing issue for some. I guess I'm lucky; my retard big brother is a Master Teacher; he teaches teachers to teach. He's still a fucking retard. Dodgy
OOOpps! Liked your quirky post so much I rushed back to re check Mark..............wanted to reply to him; gave him a like by mistake ........SHIT!............tOO TIRED , TOO OLD Weeping
(14-06-2012 12:41 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Now you got me wondering...what did you want to tell me?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2012, 01:33 AM
(14-06-2012 12:05 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 11:58 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  HOC...I hear you. I wouldn't presume to suggest he shouldn't teach. It is WHAT he wants to teach that is the issue. I guess that is what we should be discussing...is it moral/ethical to teach the bible? I say no.
Same as I would say "no" to people teaching kids that smoking is healthy.
That's the problem. They aren't kids. KC, regardless of whether or not I think his truth claims are true, is not teaching it to poor, susceptible children. So be it if grownups want to learn this religious trash, let them. It is only a problem when children are taught nonsense, and when children are physically, emotionally, sexually, socially, harmed. Religion, to me, is dangerous, but if a GROWN UP has chosen to believe in it, so be it.

The only problem is that I think they should have more sense if they grow up with scientific, and a more evidence based world view.
I absolutely agree he has the right to preach what he wants. And the flock have the right to listen to him.

The point is....what a shame. And just maybe if enough people point out how immoral Christianity is, there will be less punters falling for the spiel.

I totally agree with you re children too. Unfortunately we can't do anything specific about the indoctrination of kids. If parents want their kids' heads filled with gods, angels and devils, they have a right to do it.
14-06-2012, 01:51 AM
(14-06-2012 01:33 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 12:05 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  That's the problem. They aren't kids. KC, regardless of whether or not I think his truth claims are true, is not teaching it to poor, susceptible children. So be it if grownups want to learn this religious trash, let them. It is only a problem when children are taught nonsense, and when children are physically, emotionally, sexually, socially, harmed. Religion, to me, is dangerous, but if a GROWN UP has chosen to believe in it, so be it.

I absolutely agree he has the right to preach what he wants. And the flock have the right to listen to him.

The point is....what a shame. And just maybe if enough people point out how immoral Christianity is, there will be less punters falling for the spiel.

I totally agree with you re children too. Unfortunately we can't do anything specific about the indoctrination of kids. If parents want their kids' heads filled with gods, angels and devils, they have a right to do it.
Yes, I would very much like KC to be on our side. I find that Christianity, if preached TRUTHFULLY and throughly, will be one of the most insane, immoral, redundant, callaous, cold hearted, and absolutely nonsensical belief ever.

I would suppose also that if scientific evidence were taught along side religion, sort of like a reverse "teach the controversy", people will turn away from the nonsense. The best we can do, as social animals. Is to guide, and I mean that loosely, the new generation by teaching them the nessessary skills that have been proven to work.

If I have a kid, I will not simply teach him science and critical thinking, though it is going to be part of it, I will teach him how to evalutate claims based on logic, and physical evidence. I will expose him to myths, and I will allow him to believe whatever he wants. Hopefully my lessons will have a desired, logical effect on him, but if not, I will not throw him out, or berate him.

Also and this is important. The most important thing you could teach your kid: Let people think what they want, as long as that belief coincides with reality, and even then. I think that the only reason to stop a belief is that if it is a impediment to humanity.

Religion fits into the above catagory perfectly.

Sorry, I kinda just rambled Undecided

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
14-06-2012, 02:48 AM
(14-06-2012 01:51 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 01:33 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I absolutely agree he has the right to preach what he wants. And the flock have the right to listen to him.

Yes, I would very much like KC to be on our side. I find that Christianity, if preached TRUTHFULLY and throughly, will be one of the most insane, immoral, redundant, callaous, cold hearted, and absolutely nonsensical belief ever.

I would suppose also that if scientific evidence were taught along side religion, sort of like a reverse "teach the controversy", people will turn away from the nonsense. The best we can do, as social animals. Is to guide, and I mean that loosely, the new generation by teaching them the nessessary skills that have been proven to work.

If I have a kid, I will not simply teach him science and critical thinking, though it is going to be part of it, I will teach him how to evalutate claims based on logic, and physical evidence. I will expose him to myths, and I will allow him to believe whatever he wants. Hopefully my lessons will have a desired, logical effect on him, but if not, I will not throw him out, or berate him.

Also and this is important. The most important thing you could teach your kid: Let people think what they want, as long as that belief coincides with reality, and even then. I think that the only reason to stop a belief is that if it is a impediment to humanity.

Religion fits into the above catagory perfectly.

Sorry, I kinda just rambled Undecided
Agreed. The only real "religion" is truth.
14-06-2012, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2012 03:21 AM by kim.)
(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm wondering whether you think I have been too harsh on KC? I have no desire to offend him per se. I know he is well liked, and I too appreciate his integrity and honesty. Nevertheless, in my opinion, people who preach Christianity to others should be criticised, no matter how nice and genuine they are. I'm not alone in that view. I think I have a right to express that view, and KC has an open forum on which he can justify himself and criticise me (although preferably my arguments) if he so chooses in return.

Harsh? Ha -no, of course not - I had, and have no problem with any of the words you had with KC. I figure that's between you and him. I personally could not care less about offending him -I know I probably have before and probably will again. I as well, feel that anyone pushing any Theist philosophy must be taken to task, and answer to far much more than can be mentioned here. Yes Mark, you, i, and everyone here have every right to express whatever view, in whatever way one feels will get one's point across.

No, the only issue I had with your previous remarks was the phrase, "pulled into line" and I believe I stated as such. Egor was included in the sentence, so I used his situation for reference and then went off on my tangent to contribute cohesive thread content. And uh yes, I have very little tolerance for conformity.

(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  A forum such as ours shouldn't be a social club where we inflate each other's egos (in my opinion), but should be a place where real world issues are openly discussed.

Ego... hmm. Yes, I've heard about those. Wink
Some time back, KC created a thread about being suspended from teaching in his church because of his cockamamy beliefs and several members chimed in, in a similar fashion to this one, and an update thread was discussed. As far as I was concerned and possibly others, this was a follow up to that thread... our local "news of the forum", nothing more. I also view this forum as a place for real world issues to assume a portion of open discussion and am pretty sure this topic fit the description.

I will confess, I have a tendency to take issue with certain words or phrases; some just hit me in an uncomfortable way. Again, conformity issue. Words such as "ours shouldn't be". If it's "ours" Mark, then you can bet I'll ask, why "shouldn't it be"? I make no assumptions about what this forum should or shouldn't be; everyone who comes here is a human being, here to interact with other human beings. I have no idea why anyone is here... by interacting I know I'll find out. It is a social network.

(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  In my opinion, if the "good Christians" aren't challenged, the toxic nonsense will continue to be preached in churches, the media and schools. Change only happens if enough people make it happen.

So, you consider KC a "good Christian"...or do you assume that I do? I make no distinctions of "good" or "bad" where Christianity or any religion is concerned... it is wholly ridiculous to me, and the entire concept is repugnant. I have little or no frame of reference to discern such things when I interact with a Theist. For instance, if KC told me he said his prayers every night, would he be a "good Christian"? I have no fucking idea what those goofballs demand of each other and don't really want to.

Is KC a good man? You said yourself you appreciate his integrity and honesty... frankly, I am barely acquainted with him, but I can say I also find him a fairly principled and wholesome person. So, what is it about him that gives you the idea he will not teach his fellow deluded parishioners to think or reason, albeit within the confines of their lessons? He seems capable enough, he's taught before.

(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Bone headed moron no 2 is still an issue in our world. Just because catching the flu is better than contracting cancer, we should still immunise against the flu.

I've written this entire thing a 3rd time now after mistakenly deleting it twice... apologies; I hate using "you", but I'm tired...

Immunization… what percentage are you wanting? When you immunize, it doesn't mean people won't get the virus, it only means fewer people will be infected. In my opinion, bone headed moron number 2 is the virus vaccine.
Bone headed moron number 1 is cancer. They tell you you need it… they convince you it's the only way to live and die… they need your business so they've manufactured everything to make you the business… they need you. Bone headed moron number 1 is the whole package -the hook, line, and sinker -the illusion within the illusion- and believe it or not, he'll pull you in line. By the time number 1 is done with you, you won't be able to think your way out of a fucking paper bag… and if you try, it just means he sells merchandise from a different part of the business because see, he's diversified… could be anyone… but in fact, it's you; the illusion you buy into. And it doesn't matter what you call it… it's all gonna come out of you.

(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Why not strongly and clearly articulate our atheist opinions, yet still show respect for our opponents?

While engaged in debate, I always try to respect an opponent and see little accomplished doing otherwise. You express yourself very well, Mark. I hope you didn't get the impression that I was trying to fuck with you personally... that would be inaccurate. Words are often too powerful a weapon to be hastily tossed to common craftsmen. I am, possibly a poor fighter.

I've been an Atheist all my life and never really gave a rats ass about it... still don't really... to me, a God is irrelevant. Maybe it's not to you, and that's where our opinions don't quite mesh. Before I was born an Atheist, I was born a human. The only way I know how to deal with anyone - have anything in common with anyone, is through a shared humanity.
Anyway, you stated before quite rightly, I do agree with the basis of what you are saying, especially: change only happens if enough people make it happen... very nice. I prefer to steal mine from elsewhere; Live the change you wish to see in the world. It could very well be the only thing I might be able to accomplish. Make no assumptions, Mark... appearances may not be, what you might have decided them to be.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-06-2012, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2012 04:34 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(14-06-2012 03:06 AM)kim Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm wondering whether you think I have been too harsh on KC? I have no desire to offend him per se. I know he is well liked, and I too appreciate his integrity and honesty. Nevertheless, in my opinion, people who preach Christianity to others should be criticised, no matter how nice and genuine they are. I'm not alone in that view. I think I have a right to express that view, and KC has an open forum on which he can justify himself and criticise me (although preferably my arguments) if he so chooses in return.

Harsh? Ha -no, of course not - I had, and have no problem with any of the words you had with KC. I figure that's between you and him. I personally could not care less about offending him -I know I probably have before and probably will again. I as well, feel that anyone pushing any Theist philosophy must be taken to task, and answer to far much more than can be mentioned here. Yes Mark, you, i, and everyone here have every right to express whatever view, in whatever way one feels will get one's point across.

No, the only issue I had with your previous remarks was the phrase, "pulled into line" and I believe I stated as such. Egor was included in the sentence, so I used his situation for reference and then went off on my tangent to contribute cohesive thread content. And uh yes, I have very little tolerance for conformity.

(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  A forum such as ours shouldn't be a social club where we inflate each other's egos (in my opinion), but should be a place where real world issues are openly discussed.

Ego... hmm. Yes, I've heard about those. Wink
Some time back, KC created a thread about being suspended from teaching in his church because of his cockamamy beliefs and several members chimed in, in a similar fashion to this one, and an update thread was discussed. As far as I was concerned and possibly others, this was a follow up to that thread... our local "news of the forum", nothing more. I also view this forum as a place for real world issues to assume a portion of open discussion and am pretty sure this topic fit the description.

I will confess, I have a tendency to take issue with certain words or phrases; some just hit me in an uncomfortable way. Again, conformity issue. Words such as "ours shouldn't be". If it's "ours" Mark, then you can bet I'll ask, why "shouldn't it be"? I make no assumptions about what this forum should or shouldn't be; everyone who comes here is a human being, here to interact with other human beings. I have no idea why anyone is here... by interacting I know I'll find out. It is a social network.

(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  In my opinion, if the "good Christians" aren't challenged, the toxic nonsense will continue to be preached in churches, the media and schools. Change only happens if enough people make it happen.

So, you consider KC a "good Christian"...or do you assume that I do? I make no distinctions of "good" or "bad" where Christianity or any religion is concerned... it is wholly ridiculous to me, and the entire concept is repugnant. I have little or no frame of reference to discern such things when I interact with a Theist. For instance, if KC told me he said his prayers every night, would he be a "good Christian"? I have no fucking idea what those goofballs demand of each other and don't really want to.

Is KC a good man? You said yourself you appreciate his integrity and honesty... frankly, I am barely acquainted with him, but I can say I also find him a fairly principled and wholesome person. So, what is it about him that gives you the idea he will not teach his fellow deluded parishioners to think or reason, albeit within the confines of their lessons? He seems capable enough, he's taught before.

(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Bone headed moron no 2 is still an issue in our world. Just because catching the flu is better than contracting cancer, we should still immunise against the flu.

I've written this entire thing a 3rd time now after mistakenly deleting it twice... apologies; I hate using "you", but I'm tired...

Immunization… what percentage are you wanting? When you immunize, it doesn't mean people won't get the virus, it only means fewer people will be infected. In my opinion, bone headed moron number 2 is the virus vaccine.
Bone headed moron number 1 is cancer. They tell you you need it… they convince you it's the only way to live and die… they need your business so they've manufactured everything to make you the business… they need you. Bone headed moron number 1 is the whole package -the hook, line, and sinker -the illusion within the illusion- and believe it or not, he'll pull you in line. By the time number 1 is done with you, you won't be able to think your way out of a fucking paper bag… and if you try, it just means he sells merchandise from a different part of the business because see, he's diversified… could be anyone… but in fact, it's you; the illusion you buy into. And it doesn't matter what you call it… it's all gonna come out of you.

(13-06-2012 08:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Why not strongly and clearly articulate our atheist opinions, yet still show respect for our opponents?

While engaged in debate, I always try to respect an opponent and see little accomplished doing otherwise. You express yourself very well, Mark. I hope you didn't get the impression that I was trying to fuck with you personally... that would be inaccurate. Words are often too powerful a weapon to be hastily tossed to common craftsmen. I am, possibly a poor fighter.

I've been an Atheist all my life and never really gave a rats ass about it... still don't really... to me, a God is irrelevant. Maybe it's not to you, and that's where our opinions don't quite mesh. Before I was born an Atheist, I was born a human. The only way I know how to deal with anyone - have anything in common with anyone, is through a shared humanity.
Anyway, you stated before quite rightly, I do agree with the basis of what you are saying, especially: change only happens if enough people make it happen... very nice. I prefer to steal mine from elsewhere; Live the change you wish to see in the world. It could very well be the only thing I might be able to accomplish. Make no assumptions, Mark... appearances may not be, what you might have decided them to be.
Hi Kim, thanks for your comprehensive reply. I agree with almost everything you have said, although permit me to ramble a bit.

We all have to be very careful how we word our comments, don't we? My wording re TTA forum could have been better. What I was trying to say was that even though we may feel some warmth towards certain individuals, that shouldn't prevent us disagreeing with them. I think you agree.

I don't know whether you think KC is "good" or not. The term "good Christian" is frequently used by Christians to refer to someone who claims to believe in Christianity. KC probably enjoys some respect from the people he is going to "teach" because they think he is a "good Christian." To me, the term is meaningless, because to be "Christian" can mean whatever you want it to mean.

We agree 100% about cancer/fundamentalism. I don't, however, see KC as the vaccine. By his own admission, his teachings are going to be based on scripture. You don't fight scripture by promoting scripture.

Re "what is it about him that gives you the idea he will not teach his fellow deluded parishioners to think or reason, albeit within the confines of their lessons?"

He has said that his teachings are to be 100% based on scripture. Scripture repetitively bad-mouths rational thinking. It is also based on a totally irrational concept...the existence of a judgmental interventionist god. Prayer and faith, not actions and learning, are pushed as the solutions to problems. KC will promote this nonsense.

You are an excellent wordsmith and commentator...look at all your "likes"

God is irrelevant to my personal life too. Yet he fucks up my world and my fellow man's thoughts, health and welfare. I'm talking about 9/11, wars in the middle east, misogyny, homophobia, attacks on science, belief in prayer, miracles, pedophile protection, time wasting, financial scams, poor physical health, juvenile mortality, poor mental health, abortion and crime. All of these are associated with Christianity. Why, then, are not more of us atheists doing something about it?

I hear you about living the change I hope for the world. Please help me do that by pulling me up if you think I step out of line.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
14-06-2012, 04:57 AM
(13-06-2012 09:38 AM)kim Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 02:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Egor was profoundly offending and upsetting people. He had to be pulled into line.

You are completely incorrect in this view. I know... I watched a great deal of it.

Egor would probably be still promoting his own version of Christian mumbo jumbo if the patient tolerant people on TTA forum had refused to engage him in conversation. Yes, he eventually did some admirable self analysis, but only after a lot of people here put in a lot of effort to help him. So sorry, I can't agree that he reformed all by himself.

If we are tolerant and respectful of others, if we listen and understand, I believe we can change the minds of others. That requires patience, persistence, a knowledge of facts and skill in communication. Consider how 50 years ago homophobia was the norm. Things changed only because many brave people persistently stood up for what they believed was right.

I totally, 100% agree with you about the merit of teaching people how to think, not what to think.