So, I've been approved to start teaching in church again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2012, 07:45 PM
RE: So, I've been approved to start teaching in church again.
(11-06-2012 12:40 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-06-2012 12:36 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Wow, what a great forum this is.

A Christian can come onto an atheist forum and talk about how he is going back to teaching in the church, and not get flamed for it. Quite the opposite actually.

I'm pretty sure it's just that all the flame fuel has been exhausted on me. Wink
Ha! Wink

No, I think we're just very familiar with you. You're like a brother to us. Plus, it helps that you're reasonable.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
11-06-2012, 08:48 PM
(11-06-2012 12:36 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Wow, what a great forum this is.

A Christian can come onto an atheist forum and talk about how he is going back to teaching in the church, and not get flamed for it. Quite the opposite actually.
Sorry. It's Gwynnies fault. Where's my flamethrower?

[Image: Resized_flamethrower4.jpg]

I mean, it is good to do purposeful shit, just be careful you're not being set up for a spill.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Dude, Debzilla tol ya, Trolololo died last week.
http://gizmodo.com/5915654/rip-mr-trolololol

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Dude. Can't you see the horns and tail? This is demon undead trololol dude. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-06-2012, 09:50 PM
(11-06-2012 09:44 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  This is demon undead trololol dude. Tongue
So is the Trololol Guy. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-06-2012, 06:29 AM
(11-06-2012 10:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-06-2012 10:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why would you want to teach children beliefs that you don't hold? Really, this makes no sense. Huh

I'm not teaching children. I'll be teaching my adult Sunday School class.

Also, I'm not teaching anything to do with election.
Hi KC. In my experience most Christians are exceptionally good at avoiding real answers to real questions. Here is your chance to break the mold.

Why are you preaching?

Are you getting paid?

Are you doing this for personal prestige?

Is it a career move?

Do you hope to get sex out of it?

Do you honestly think you will be contributing something of value to your students? Why?

I am pleased to hear you are not teaching Christianity to children. Has it occurred to you that your audience may pass your teachings on to their children? I assure you they might. How do you feel about that?

I will be honest with you. I fail to understand how an intelligent man can live with himself after teaching primitive toxic doctrine to innocent people. You almost seem pleased about your new venture. Shame on you.

Can you not sense you are on a sinking ship? In future times history will not be kind to people of your ilk.

I may be misjudging you, as you may, somehow, have genuinely decided Christianity has something new, valuable or interesting to offer people. If so, you are still guilty of seriously poor judgement.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
12-06-2012, 08:39 AM
@Mark
He is teaching adults I believe.

@KC
I would be interested to see the outlines, I don't know about anyone else.

I am interested because I would like to see how (or if) they fit into a secular worldview. If they are strictly bible-related, then they will probably not relate too much, but I would still enjoy seeing them (a fresh perspective on someone's interpretation of the bible).

I can only recall one sermon out of the dozens I heard over my period of being a Baptist. It was a sermon I had heard from a youth minister when I was 17 (I think). The 25-30 year old youth minister told us (a group of teenagers) how he was angry with his grandmother because she had committed suicide. He was angry because his view (and I can only assume the baptist view) is that she would therefore be in hell and he was angry because he would never see her again. His reasoning seemed so selfish and the logic behind it seemed so counter-intuitive. The very idea that a loving god would send you to hell for that bugged the shit out of me and that the bible said that or could be interpreted to say that bugged the shit out of me. In short, the only sermon I remember was the one that sent me on the fast-track to atheism. Mainly because of its lack of compassion and its incompatibility with human secular reasoning (although I would not have identified the latter one at the time).

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-06-2012, 08:55 AM
(12-06-2012 06:29 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hi KC. In my experience most Christians are exceptionally good at avoiding real answers to real questions. Here is your chance to break the mold.

Ermmm *points up to the Ask A Theist! thread*

Quote:Why are you preaching?

Theology is something that I just "get". I'm also a former teacher, and I feel that God has called me to share with others in my class.

Quote:Are you getting paid?

No. Never been paid, nor would I ever accept payment.

Quote:Are you doing this for personal prestige?

No. Many of you know my personality. I don't really like people IRL. I'm a pretty cold person, apparently. I tend to do a lot better with people when I don't have to constantly be face-to-face. For me to actually teach and be in front of people is something I don't really like (as I prefer to be behind a keyboard). The only reason I step out of my comfort zone and teach is because God has given me messages to share with my class.

Quote:Is it a career move?

lol no.

Although, I have considered seminary... briefly. Not in seriousness, though.

Quote:Do you hope to get sex out of it?

What? No. I'm married to a hot chick. Granted, I can't have sex for another two weeks, though.

Quote:Do you honestly think you will be contributing something of value to your students? Why?

I believe I offer a different type of insight to student because of my background and my studies. Most layman teachers in the church aren't as learned as I am, so God is able to reveal to them through me unique interpretations.

Quote:I am pleased to hear you are not teaching Christianity to children. Has it occurred to you that your audience may pass your teachings on to their children? I assure you they might. How do you feel about that?

Because they are fellow Christians, I do hope they pass it to their children. I always take great care in whatever I teach to make sure it 100% aligns with scripture. I take James 3:1 very seriously.

Quote:I will be honest with you. I fail to understand how an intelligent man can live with himself after teaching primitive toxic doctrine to innocent people. You almost seem pleased about your new venture. Shame on you.

Shame on you for pretentiously condemning my chosen path. I am not proselytizing; I am teaching fellow believers. Your failure to understand or accept Christianity does not mean that it is wrong or toxic. Your beliefs and opinions aren't fact for everyone. Actually, your condemnation is eerily similar to that which atheists so strongly condemn. Let me ask you this, do you revel in your hypocrisy?

Quote:Can you not sense you are on a sinking ship? In future times history will not be kind to people of your ilk.

This is pretty much what Christian eschatology is about. Except, without the sinking ship thing. As prophesied, the future of Christians is going to be difficult.

Quote:I may be misjudging you, as you may, somehow, have genuinely decided Christianity has something new, valuable or interesting to offer people. If so, you are still guilty of seriously poor judgement.

Your unabashed, judgmental nature is actually quite astonishing. Are you this way with everyone who you disagree with?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Only 2 more weeks til you get to do the horizontal mambo with the wife? It seems like I had to wait forever!!!!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Woah, Mark! Mofo ain't going to New Guinea to mess with the natives. We're talking adults, southern Baptists at that. Ain't no innocence there. Tongue

I mean, I don't see how he can make it worse. Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post