So, I've been approved to start teaching in church again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
RE: So, I've been approved to start teaching in church again.
(12-06-2012 10:46 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 10:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm aware of that.

But, in the same way that I accept this site as a way for atheists to learn and congregate, you should do that same for my church.

This site doesn't shove atheism down my throat - I choose to be here. You accept and welcome me here. The same for my church if one of you came.

I am teaching Christianity in a Christian church and telling atheists about it because I am a member of the community. I'm not asking that you accept what I'm teaching for your personal belief.

It is no different from you teaching atheism to atheists. You're not asking me to believe what you believe; however, I have no right to condemn what you're doing since your audience is as you and what you teach.
You are teaching Christianity in a Christian church and coming to an atheist forum to share your excitement and expecting us to say, "Bully for you!" There is no hypocrisy here. You know this is an environment that is hostile to your religion. If you were in a religiously neutral or even agnostic forum, then you can cry over the harsh treatment. Obviously I can't speak for a community of atheists, but I don't think the majority of us think what you're doing is a good thing when it means propagating a worldview we consider delusional at best and insidiously dangerous at worst. Your analogy of an atheist teaching atheism of atheists falls short. For one thing, for the most part atheists are not organized. More importantly, what if you were teaching a class on how to cook babies? While we joke about the topic, if you were doing it for real, we wouldn't say, "Awwww...look how cute KC is, teaching his little Sunday School class on cooking babies. We support your right to do so!" Wrong...what you're teaching is just as silly and I do not admire the effort.

I guess I thought we were past the point where I was still being judged on my personal beliefs.

I figured most would see me as an individual. Just like other individuals share things to the forum about their life, I sought to do so.

I didn't ask for anyone to accept or revel in the fact that I can teach again. I was simply sharing it with the forum like I would anything else.

If you have a chip on your shoulder about religion, take it up with the person that put it there.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
12-06-2012, 11:04 AM
(12-06-2012 11:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If you have a chip on your shoulder about religion, take it up with the person that put it there.
Wow. Really? I guess I better leave this Atheist forum then. It's obviously the wrong place for me if we're supposed to think religion is good.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
This shit's getting personal!!!

We (as Whatshisface might say) atheists, former christians but not true christians, all have varying reasons for why we either disagree with or despise religion. In my case there is no single individual to hang my "hate religion" hat on, it is mainly a disagreement with the dogma. It has been said by numerous other people, but I'll say it again, I think of the followers of religion as more or less victims with a case of Stockholm syndrome (not trying to be insulting KC). To me, they are victims of their beliefs and are often times unwilling to consider that as a possibility and instead they simply bury themselves deeper into it by shutting themselves off from opposing opinions and reinforcing their beliefs by going to church and interacting with other believers who they rely on to reinforce their beliefs.

Perhaps this is why you have been attacked on this particular thread, because by teaching it, you are being viewed as one of the individuals propagating what we see as a delusion, and a potentially dangerous delusion depending on what is being encouraged.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Oh my Gwynnies! Guy just said he ain't getting none. Go easy. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
(12-06-2012 11:04 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 11:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If you have a chip on your shoulder about religion, take it up with the person that put it there.
Wow. Really? I guess I better leave this Atheist forum then. It's obviously the wrong place for me if we're supposed to think religion is good.

You know good and well what I meant.

You know me. We've had enough conversation. You know that I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. I'm here for the community. I enjoy it here. I just expected people to come to expect that instances that I share with the community would be Christian themed from time to time.

I believe it's rather asinine (at this point) to tell me I'm wrong, and what I'm doing is wrong. On a personal note, you do that to me a lot. I do expect it (being on an atheist forum), but like I said, I kind of hoped we were past that point.

12-06-2012, 11:27 AM
(12-06-2012 10:46 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Wrong...what you're teaching is just as silly and I do not admire the effort.

You're like one of them ex-smokers on this topic. Tongue

If it wuz me, I'd be like, sure mister pastor dude. I'll teach yer lesson planner. I'll be good. Angel

And a coupla weeks later, I'd be called to the office. Mr. pastor dude would be sitting there, smoke pouring outta his ears. WTF does Gwyneth Paltrow gotta do with the gospels!?!? You're fired! Straight to hell!

And I'd be like, Blush I'm sorry mister pastor dude, I won't do it again! But of course I'd do it again. Evil_monster

That's the way I see it. It ain't gonna what KC teaches, but how. And peeps gonna see the Gwynnies in 'im, and there's gonna congregate after class, and Gwynnies be praised. KC be damned, but... details. Big Grin

And wtf peeps getting bent about? The more exposure KC gets to these cardboard cutouts, the more he's gonna be like, the heck with Flatland. Thumbsup

[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
How morally outraged we're all getting Dodgy Truly we are the keepers of truth. And that truth is that we are RIGHT. And that truth is that we should VENT. And because KC is the nearest theist, and because he's getting all buddy buddy like we're FRIENDS or something, we should have a go at him and remind him that he's ONE stupid theist and no matter how much he tries to be NICE to us, there'll always be a WALL between us, and if he tries to tear his side down, we'll damn well build our side HIGHER.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Incidentally, this is exactly the reaction I have been subjected to from the opposite side, so maybe that's why I'm more pro KC. And ja... a teensy bit of exaggeration... maybe... in that last post... Don't like it when friends fight...
12-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Morondog, it's like you entered my mind and wrote exactly what I was trying to say.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
(12-06-2012 11:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  How morally outraged we're all getting Dodgy Truly we are the keepers of truth. And that truth is that we are RIGHT. And that truth is that we should VENT. And because KC is the nearest theist, and because he's getting all buddy buddy like we're FRIENDS or something, we should have a go at him and remind him that he's ONE stupid theist and no matter how much he tries to be NICE to us, there'll always be a WALL between us, and if he tries to tear his side down, we'll damn well build our side HIGHER.
Yeah, you're right, Big Dog. Dang Gwynnies filling my head with all that lovey-dovey crap, lost it there for a minute. Now who's got the lighter fluid? I got a hankering for a theist on a stake. Thumbsup

Cannot say that friends cannot fight, 'cause they gonna. There ain't no "right" in my book, there's "best you can do with what you got." Both KC and Erx seem to be doing that, so both are right. I mean, we can always break out the rope and daggers, settle it Native style. Wink

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post