So I've been wondering about something....ebola, islam,africa, polio vax

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 05:50 PM
So I've been wondering about something....ebola, islam,africa, polio vax
Mr Woofs post got me thinking about this again

(16-10-2014 05:19 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Our Australian government is refusing to send health workers to Africa, while involved in fighting ISIS in Iraq...........a bit odd?

I heard a while back that there was a group vaxing for polio in Africa or middle east somewhere, and they were really having success until the FBI or CIA or whatever got involved and now that trust is broken and the program stopped. But there was concern it could be epidemic in that area.

IIRC, there was a respitory illness too, similar to SARS or something like that.

Now ebola. Now maybe its my American education or my ignorance showing, but I am wondering if maybe this is the way we can lessen the numbers of muslim terrorists. We don't prevent the epidemics. We let the illnesses wipe out large numbers of people in places that harbor terrorists.

Instead of injecting a biological agent , we just refuse to treat. A different twist in biological warfare.

I am still twisting these ideas around in my head and don't have it thought out really, just a rambling thought, wondered what others thought or speculate.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 07:42 PM
RE: So I've been wondering about something....ebola, islam,africa, polio vax
(16-10-2014 05:50 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  maybe its my American education or my ignorance showing

Well, your american education would be your ignorance......

I kid. Tongue

I'm just not seeing it. So a lot more people (innocent and evil) die because we refuse to treat. Not gonna wipe out terrorism. If anything it gives another argument as to why america is evil.

Also, giving these illnesses free reign means that there's a greater chance for them to spread to the rest of the world.

The only way to effectively combat terrorism from these countries is education, period. It's already painfully obvious that bad ideas infect and spread much quicker, and can be more deadly than any of these diseases.

The only way to stop bad ideas is to show that good ideas are better and teach them why. In the meantime, the humanitarian thing to do is to show up for no other reason than to try to help people. It shows that we are capable and willing to do good things, regardless of what they've been taught about us.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
16-10-2014, 07:58 PM
In argument against Woof, I would assume Australia has a military of on hand soldiers who are mainly doing very little in their action when the country doesn't send them out. In contrast, I don't think they would have excess health care workers sitting around with the will to be send across to aid other nations. They probably like most countries, could do with some more health efforts in their own nation in areas. It's not something really surprising, the issue is the nature of having these militaries.

To go out and intentionally use a biological disease as a weapon would be catastrophic and step over all the lines those troops and government groups/cia/fbi/UN forces have agreed upon. They've attempted shady things before but that would be dangerous for having back firing effects besides it's unruliness. I kinda agree with Evenheathen to begin with on the rest of the issue going on there.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
16-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Quote:Also, giving these illnesses free reign means that there's a greater chance for them to spread to the rest of the world.

Or give them time to mutate into something worse. Ohmy
16-10-2014, 08:16 PM
(16-10-2014 07:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  To go out and intentionally use a biological disease as a weapon

I don't think that's what B&A was saying, but that we let nature take it's course and don't actively help inoculate or treat the diseases.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-10-2014, 08:18 PM
(16-10-2014 08:16 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 07:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  To go out and intentionally use a biological disease as a weapon

I don't think that's what B&A was saying, but that we let nature take it's course and don't actively help inoculate or treat the diseases.

I guess it stemmed from a personal worldview i haveFacepalm

I see inaction as relevant as action, therefore intentionally in this scenario. I understand that doesn't apply universally so I back down from my comment.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-10-2014, 08:42 AM
A few people believe that some want the resources that are in Africa, and that a few problems start because of the greed.
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
18-10-2014, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2014 09:03 AM by yakherder.)
(18-10-2014 08:42 AM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  A few people believe that some want the resources that are in Africa, and that a few problems start because of the greed.

That's pretty much it, though I don't bother labeling it as greed since we're all benefactors, not just the evil corporations. Everything from agriculture to medical care is absolutely dependent on the predictable flow of resources. Every little hiccup in global trade devastates economies and puts people out of work. The economic consequences of abandoning Africa would probably be more catastrophic than a full blown Ebola pandemic.

'Murican Canadian
18-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Could it just be that the American government plans shortsightedly and has corporate interests at heart, thereby sucking at their most basic functions?

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
20-10-2014, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2014 08:18 AM by MadDog.)
(16-10-2014 05:50 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Mr Woofs post got me thinking about this again

(16-10-2014 05:19 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Our Australian government is refusing to send health workers to Africa, while involved in fighting ISIS in Iraq...........a bit odd?

I heard a while back that there was a group vaxing for polio in Africa or middle east somewhere, and they were really having success until the FBI or CIA or whatever got involved and now that trust is broken and the program stopped. But there was concern it could be epidemic in that area.

IIRC, there was a respitory illness too, similar to SARS or something like that.

Now ebola. Now maybe its my American education or my ignorance showing, but I am wondering if maybe this is the way we can lessen the numbers of muslim terrorists. We don't prevent the epidemics. We let the illnesses wipe out large numbers of people in places that harbor terrorists.

Instead of injecting a biological agent , we just refuse to treat. A different twist in biological warfare.

I am still twisting these ideas around in my head and don't have it thought out really, just a rambling thought, wondered what others thought or speculate.

I understand where your skepticism is coming from. However, your instincts are off. The liberal government in Australia will not tolerate ISIS taking over IRAQ when our troops have valiantly fought there for many years. Only political good has come from our involvement in the middle east. 200 SAS (this sounds small it isn't at all)+ fighters have been dispatched there - we mean business. Forget any other middle eastern 'ally', Australia will be knocking the stuffing out of these guys while every other regime gives their token obedience. If you doubt what I'm saying review the SAS in past conflicts vs IRAQ forces. The snipers, Javelins decimated IRAQI forces

The American troops sent to fight Ebola is a political move. Army is not filled with scientists, they are trained to be patriotic, march, drill, sing and finally shoot a rifle. They supposedly are being sent to built facilities for ebola patients but any contractor could do this. The military is simply not varnished by a series of scandles plagueing the democrats. So it's a political move. Otherwise they'd send the EDC lol. Australia will not commit as we are spending over even our budget. If ebola changes to pandemic expect Australia to look after its own - just like any nation.