So I was just approached by an Evangelist at work...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 02:28 PM
So I was just approached by an Evangelist at work...
Fairly normal day at work when this older gentleman walks over to ask for a few directions. He takes it upon himself to start asking a few questions about myself (this isn't unique as many older people here at the hospital love to chat all the "whippersnappers" up and give advice - which is what he was doing). He seemed to be a genuinely nice guy.

He asked what my dad did which led into religion...this is when it gets interesting. He didn't turn into a dick when I said "I'm unaffiliated with any churches" (though I did have to say this a few times before he took the hint and asked me to clarify if I was an atheist). He was still cool about everything.

He asked me a few questions but then started to minister to me. Since I'm a former Christian with an evangelical background, I picked up on it immediately and countered some of his points. I was not rude at all, actually trying to not be offensive and telling him directly that I'm not trying to be mean. He tried to answer my questions like "what is faith", "why should we pray", "can you prove god with empirical evidence", etc with no real avail, but you know what? He was cool with saying "I don't know". I have to respect him for that, I don't agree with him, but I respect him nonetheless.

He gave me his card and said that he'll be back to check up on me Laugh out load I kinda hope he does. I enjoy talking about religion when people don't get all pissy. Kinda like a KC-like theist. It was pretty funny when he tried to use (in this order) the Anthropic Principle, Fine-Tuning Argument, then Pascal's Wager to convince me. I broke down each argument and told him exactly why they don't work. He was surprised and I quote "Wow, never thought about it like that before!"

Pretty cool old guy, just thought I should share this experience (with any updates) in case you're losing hope that Christians don't have any cool guys left (besides KC of course) Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like Im_Ryan's post
28-03-2014, 02:32 PM
RE: So I was just approached by an Evangelist at work...
I also kinda have a feeling my dad had a hand in this. Maybe...just an odd thing to happen. May be a coincidence with him getting me to talk to his reverend friend and asking my opinions on those christian blogs but I don't know Consider

Atir aissom atir imon
28-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Ha, you might have gotten the old fart thinking,he'll probably be back with what he thinks is new evidence, and thats your chance for the deconversion process to maybe take hold.

You can teach an old dog new tricks. Wink

Keep kicking ass ! Thumbsup

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 6 users Like War Horse's post
28-03-2014, 02:59 PM
(28-03-2014 02:38 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Ha, you might have gotten the old fart thinking,he'll probably be back with what he thinks is new evidence, and thats your chance for the deconversion process to maybe take hold.

You can teach an old dog new tricks. Wink

Keep kicking ass ! Thumbsup

I told him that if he finds some empirical evidence, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. So I'm sure he'll find something Tongue
But let him, as long as the conversation remains peaceful, I'll enjoy it Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
28-03-2014, 03:15 PM
(28-03-2014 02:59 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  But let him, as long as the conversation remains peaceful, I'll enjoy it Smile

Problem is that us old farts get moody and unpredictable... the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde syndrome. Angry Laugh out load Angry Laugh out load

[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
28-03-2014, 03:45 PM
(28-03-2014 03:15 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 02:59 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  But let him, as long as the conversation remains peaceful, I'll enjoy it Smile

Problem is that us old farts get moody and unpredictable... the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde syndrome. Angry Laugh out load Angry Laugh out load

Exactly Laugh out load
Hope he stays cool when he realizes I'm no easy conversion Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon
11-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Well the evangelist hasn't come back and I seem to have lost his card Undecided Oh well...

Now I managed to get myself into a debate with an ex-muslim turned Christian... this is not going to go well...

He calls himself a theologist but doesn't know the difference between agnostic and gnostic, and atheist and theist. Fuck.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
11-04-2014, 08:58 AM
(11-04-2014 08:43 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Well the evangelist hasn't come back and I seem to have lost his card Undecided Oh well...

Now I managed to get myself into a debate with an ex-muslim turned Christian... this is not going to go well...

He calls himself a theologist but doesn't know the difference between agnostic and gnostic, and atheist and theist. Fuck.

Jihad for Jebus...... Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
11-04-2014, 09:00 AM
(11-04-2014 08:58 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 08:43 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Well the evangelist hasn't come back and I seem to have lost his card Undecided Oh well...

Jihad for Jebus...... Laugh out load

Pretty much Dodgy
I didn't even start the conversation, some of my dad's coworkers did Dodgy

Atir aissom atir imon
11-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Dodgy

I'm pretty sure not knowing the difference between an atheist and a theist disqualifies someone from being a theologist... BUT, they'll call themselves that anyway. I know a guy who is a self proclaimed "bible scholar" even though he was unaware that the gospels weren't all written at the same time and that several of them were not witnesses to jesus's life... riiiiiiiiight. "debating" with him is pointless.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post