So I was just approached by an Evangelist at work...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2014, 09:40 AM
RE: So I was just approached by an Evangelist at work...
(11-04-2014 08:43 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  He calls himself a theologist but doesn't know the difference between agnostic and gnostic, and atheist and theist. Fuck.

That's pretty pathetic as that's just common vocabulary.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
11-04-2014, 09:45 AM
(11-04-2014 09:27 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 08:43 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Well the evangelist hasn't come back and I seem to have lost his card Undecided Oh well...

Now I managed to get myself into a debate with an ex-muslim turned Christian... this is not going to go well...

He calls himself a theologist but doesn't know the difference between agnostic and gnostic, and atheist and theist. Fuck.

Dodgy

I'm pretty sure not knowing the difference between an atheist and a theist disqualifies someone from being a theologist... BUT, they'll call themselves that anyway. I know a guy who is a self proclaimed "bible scholar" even though he was unaware that the gospels weren't all written at the same time and that several of them were not witnesses to jesus's life... riiiiiiiiight. "debating" with him is pointless.

Exactly. I'm so sick and tired of churches having "schools" that "educate" members on the "proper context" of the Bible. It's total bullshit. The church I came from even gave out "degrees". Yeah... right Dodgy

Atir aissom atir imon
11-04-2014, 09:50 AM
(11-04-2014 09:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 08:43 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  He calls himself a theologist but doesn't know the difference between agnostic and gnostic, and atheist and theist. Fuck.

That's pretty pathetic as that's just common vocabulary.

Right? I mean a lot of people I talk to don't know, and that's perfectly fine. I don't judge. BUT if you claim to know, but are just pretending then it's pathetic. He literally told me, and I quote, that "it is well known that it is harder to be an atheist because of their active disbelief in God than it is to be a Christian. It is because of this that I find atheists hilarious and hypocritical". Also, he claimed that "it has been proven that if you put a little boy in a desert that he will worship rocks, which also proves that we are meant to worship".

The fuck is this shit? And when did we start talking about Meccah? Laughat

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
11-04-2014, 10:00 AM
(11-04-2014 09:50 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 09:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's pretty pathetic as that's just common vocabulary.

Right? I mean a lot of people I talk to don't know, and that's perfectly fine. I don't judge. BUT if you claim to know, but are just pretending then it's pathetic. He literally told me, and I quote, that "it is well known that it is harder to be an atheist because of their active disbelief in God than it is to be a Christian. It is because of this that I find atheists hilarious and hypocritical". Also, he claimed that "it has been proven that if you put a little boy in a desert that he will worship rocks, which also proves that we are meant to worship".

The fuck is this shit? And when did we start talking about Meccah? Laughat

Presuppositional bullshit is presuppositional...

Also [citation needed]

I walk away from people like this. I've had many good discussions on atheism vs theism, but never with anyone who believes shit like that. They will simply regurgitate asinine things that have been forced down their throat without a shred of evidence and then accuse you of being the one who relies on faith in science while they know God. Dodgy

Life is too short to deal with that level of idiocy and self delusion. Drinking Beverage

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
11-04-2014, 10:05 AM
I am always surprised by people that just start preaching. It seems so arrogant for someone to think that it's okay to walk up to a stranger and say, "this is what I believe and you should believe it too."

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
11-04-2014, 10:07 AM
(11-04-2014 10:05 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I am always surprised by people that just start preaching. It seems so arrogant for someone to think that it's okay to walk up to a stranger and say, "this is what I believe and you should believe it too."

To be fair, he didn't just walk up and start preaching. He was introduced by coworkers and one of the coworkers brought it up.

But yes, I agree 100%

Atir aissom atir imon
11-04-2014, 11:59 AM
You are more patient than I am Ryan.

As soon as I understand some stranger wants to share god with me, keeping my voice polite and direct, I tell them: "I am atheist and we have nothing in common unless you want to know why I am atheist, but after I tell you why I am atheist you will not get a turn to tell me about why you are a Christian. Are you interested?" That's my line to strangers and door knockers.

When someone I am acquainted with wants to discuss god, I let them know I am atheist, if they don't already know. Then I tell them I will not discuss religion with them as it always goes badly. I no longer discuss my atheist stance with the religious people I know--always invites trouble and it's too disturbing for them.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 2 users Like Dee's post
11-04-2014, 12:34 PM
(11-04-2014 11:59 AM)Dee Wrote:  You are more patient than I am Ryan.

As soon as I understand some stranger wants to share god with me, keeping my voice polite and direct, I tell them: "I am atheist and we have nothing in common unless you want to know why I am atheist, but after I tell you why I am atheist you will not get a turn to tell me about why you are a Christian. Are you interested?" That's my line to strangers and door knockers.

When someone I am acquainted with wants to discuss god, I let them know I am atheist, if they don't already know. Then I tell them I will not discuss religion with them as it always goes badly. I no longer discuss my atheist stance with the religious people I know--always invites trouble and it's too disturbing for them.

Well for one, I'm much more polite and indirect at my work for rather obvious reasons, but I do actually enjoy religious debates - as long as they remain civil (at least in real life, fuck all on the internet). If I can find someone to actually have a conversation with, I'd be happy to talk for as long as possible. But the moment tensions start to rise I try to back out asap.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
11-04-2014, 02:30 PM
You could tell the evangelist:

"Normally I wouldn't recommend self-medication, but with a parasitic meme it's perfectly safe. All you have to do is read science books and never stop asking questions about everything that you think you know."
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
11-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Its probably worth getting a few things straight with him before you get into a debate, you've got to know where you each stand, otherwise you'll find yourself going round in circles.

Establish a few basics first...

- Ask about his stance on evolution, geology and cosmology. Get that one out of the way first.

- Ask him to define his god. Is he an invisible man in the sky, or something more vague?

- Ask his views on atheists. Establish whether or not he understands that atheism is not a religion.

- Ask him if he would be prepared to change his opinion on anything if the evidence runs counter to his beliefs. If he says no, then it is pointless debating with him.

Its worth getting these things down first, so you know who and what you're arguing against. If your opponent turns out to be a creationist, you're in for a long debate, in which you're going to have to start practically from scratch and justify your own position.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post