So I was just approached by an Evangelist at work...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2014, 04:06 PM
RE: So I was just approached by an Evangelist at work...
"it is well known that it is harder to be an atheist because of their active disbelief in God than it is to be a Christian."

What by the blushes of Aurora is an active disbelief? LOL I guess I'm also an active non-ballroom dancer and an active non-Tai Chi practitioner.

Actually I do agree that it is easier to be a Christian. No thinking is required and that stuff is like boring you know, tee hee. Jesus is lord!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 10:30 PM
(11-04-2014 08:26 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Its probably worth getting a few things straight with him before you get into a debate, you've got to know where you each stand, otherwise you'll find yourself going round in circles.

Establish a few basics first...

- Ask about his stance on evolution, geology and cosmology. Get that one out of the way first.

- Ask him to define his god. Is he an invisible man in the sky, or something more vague?

- Ask his views on atheists. Establish whether or not he understands that atheism is not a religion.

- Ask him if he would be prepared to change his opinion on anything if the evidence runs counter to his beliefs. If he says no, then it is pointless debating with him.

Its worth getting these things down first, so you know who and what you're arguing against. If your opponent turns out to be a creationist, you're in for a long debate, in which you're going to have to start practically from scratch and justify your own position.

Yeah that's normally what I do. I just ask little questions, normally starting with what/who you believe in (which will lead to what I believe in), then if they know what an atheist is (as well as the difference between gnostic and agnostic). From there I change it up depending on the person. Normally people have one subject in mind that they would like to discuss, though, some people (like this guy) will just be all over the map and there's nothing I can do. I will probably be avoiding this guy.

Side Note: My dad told me that the coworkers were trying to fuck with me, but didn't realize I knew anything about religion. Me standing up to 'P' apparently startled him, which is why we had such a short (about 10 minute) discussion before he walked away. The coworkers thought it was hilarious, and though they don't agree with me, they like that I could stand my ground with 'P' which no one else could. Sad.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
12-04-2014, 10:35 PM
(12-04-2014 04:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  "it is well known that it is harder to be an atheist because of their active disbelief in God than it is to be a Christian."

What by the blushes of Aurora is an active disbelief? LOL I guess I'm also an active non-ballroom dancer and an active non-Tai Chi practitioner.

Actually I do agree that it is easier to be a Christian. No thinking is required and that stuff is like boring you know, tee hee. Jesus is lord!

What does it matter anyways that it's "harder" or takes more "faith." Being christian takes more "blind faith." than how much "faith" atheism takes. Seriously, these arguments get people nowhere.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
12-04-2014, 10:45 PM
(12-04-2014 04:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  "it is well known that it is harder to be an atheist because of their active disbelief in God than it is to be a Christian."

Yeah I attempted to explain this, but he left.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-04-2014, 02:22 AM
(12-04-2014 10:35 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  What does it matter anyways that it's "harder" or takes more "faith." Being christian takes more "blind faith." than how much "faith" atheism takes. Seriously, these arguments get people nowhere.

I can imagine the conversation:

"it is well known that it is harder to be an atheist because of their active disbelief in God than it is to be a Christian."

"Just be glad that you're not a Satanist. I find it really hard worshipping him on a regular basis and not getting caught stealing or kidnapping"
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
13-04-2014, 08:17 AM
(12-04-2014 10:45 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  

Yeah I attempted to explain this, but he left.

I hope you will report back if he does attempt to talk to you again. I haven't been approached by any in a long time. Except for a teacher at my kid's school I haven't had anyone approach me to talk about religion in at least 10 years. Maybe it is because I don't spend any time around religious people or maybe it is because I look mean or something.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
13-04-2014, 12:16 PM
(13-04-2014 08:17 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 10:45 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Yeah I attempted to explain this, but he left.

I hope you will report back if he does attempt to talk to you again. I haven't been approached by any in a long time. Except for a teacher at my kid's school I haven't had anyone approach me to talk about religion in at least 10 years. Maybe it is because I don't spend any time around religious people or maybe it is because I look mean or something.

Yeah I'll definitely update this thread. I'm still waiting on the original evangelist to come back Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon