So I was thinking...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 10:47 AM
So I was thinking...
So I've had this idea in mind for a little while of a thread centering around the various moral dilemmas I now face as an atheist who is discovering her own code of ethics to live by. As in, whenever I come across a situation in my life where the answer might have been spelled out for me before by my Christian beliefs or whatnot, and where I now must consider things like personal gain vs. loss, consequences (both short-term and long-term) of my decision, etc. instead of just "WWJD?" I would post that dilemma here, give my thoughts and possibly a tentative conclusion and then anyone else who's interested could discuss their take on it or how they've thought that situation through, etc.

Each time I came across a new dilemma, it'd just be added onto the thread and then there'd be more discussion from other forum members and so on and so forth.

My interest in doing this sparked from the thread about pirating and all. I found that very interesting - just hearing all the different viewpoints and how each of you had reached a decision (however tentative) in regards to that particular moral quandary.

I'm thinking about calling it "The Immoral Landscape" just because so many out there think that atheists don't have a moral compass at all. Kind of a fun twist on words, I guess. Blush

Anyway, would this be of interest to anyone? I don't when I'd start it, but it was just an interesting thought to me.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
RE: So I was thinking...
I think this could be interesting for people in transition and for those of us that have never had to deal with it. If you decide to do this I look forward to reading it.

Whenever I start off a sentence with "I was thinking" I usually end up in trouble. Just sayin' Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
(06-11-2013 10:47 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  So I've had this idea in mind for a little while of a thread centering around the various moral dilemmas I now face as an atheist who is discovering her own code of ethics to live by. As in, whenever I come across a situation in my life where the answer might have been spelled out for me before by my Christian beliefs or whatnot,
You're not serious about that are you ?
You couldn't have paused to morally weigh decisions all the time in a WWJD fashion.
you would be like stop motion cartoon character.

Couldnt it be you always knew the correct moral choice and incorrectly attributed it to "Christianity"

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-11-2013, 11:09 AM
(06-11-2013 10:54 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 10:47 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  So I've had this idea in mind for a little while of a thread centering around the various moral dilemmas I now face as an atheist who is discovering her own code of ethics to live by. As in, whenever I come across a situation in my life where the answer might have been spelled out for me before by my Christian beliefs or whatnot,
You're not serious about that are you ?
You couldn't have paused to morally weigh decisions all the time in a WWJD fashion.
you would be like stop motion cartoon character.

Couldnt it be you always knew the correct moral choice and incorrectly attributed it to "Christianity"

Sometimes there isn't a clear-cut "correct" moral choice though. Those are the things I'm interested in discussing.

Did I ever truthfully ask myself "WWJD?" if a situation came up that I was unsure about? No, but I'd pray about it. The "answer" I got was obviously from my own mind and all and yes I attributed it to Christianity. I guess I'm just saying that now that I'm no longer a Christian, I do take more time to think about these things and try and figure out WHY I think this or that is the right decision or not. Instead of just listening to the preacher or this or that particular Bible verse and not thinking it through any more than that.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
06-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Anyway, it may be a silly idea or of no use to anyone, which is why I did this first instead of just going on ahead and posting it.

06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I still think it could be interesting as everyone has their own path out. Having never believed I have a hard time getting my head around making decisions from belief.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-11-2013, 12:03 PM
(06-11-2013 11:21 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  ...making decisions from belief.

Oh, I could do up a whole thread just on that. Evil_monster

First off, anything that immediately presents itself as the best way is probably wrong because it's no doubt of the flesh and any good Christian knows the flesh leads them astray.

Second off (<--- stolen from Napoleon Dynamite's "Rex" of Rex-kwon-do) anything that seems easy and obvious is equally likely to be of the devil. His way is the easy way, the broad way. So if you're facing a choice of some importance, and it seems the answer is so easy and *gasp* even maybe pleasurable, it's wrong.

The path to heaven is straight and narrow, unyielding, but it is the ultimate right way. And so whatever was difficult, whatever caused my "flesh" the most pain seemed to indicate the most correct decision.

Is it any wonder that over the years I began to associate pain or discomfort with the right choice. Whichever way seemed like the most difficult way was probably the most "against my flesh" and therefore "the most right" and so that was the way I took.

There were other things I took into consideration when making decisions - I'd consult scripture or more mature Christians or pray about it - but the Bible would have one scripture telling me one thing and another over there telling me something wholly different, I couldn't know the hearts of other Christians and so what if they themselves were being led astray and prayer, well... how could I know if I was truly being convicted of the right decision or if the devil was playing with my mind? So the truest test I had was to take the way of the most pain. Whatever my flesh rebelled against, whatever made the least sense to my feeble little brain (because God's ways were higher than mine) was likely right.

It's still difficult for me to make decisions because the way my brain works, I can see validity in almost every viewpoint. It's a clusterfuckian process, for sure, and one I'm still trying to muddle my way through.

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
06-11-2013, 01:03 PM
This sounds like great fun. I really enjoyed ethics class in school. This is what we did, an entire semester just sitting around debating what would be ethical to do/say in various circumstances. Please do make the thread. Smile
06-11-2013, 01:09 PM
I think i get your OP a little better now, my christian upbringing did not included "you are Sin", morals were each to their own .
I was a strong believer but it never crossed my mind that god or jesus had any influence on my morals.
was never preached to me that way.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-11-2013, 01:17 PM
sporehux

Well, I grew up under "hard" preaching. I was Southern Baptist so it was all hellfire and brimstone and "you are an absolute scum of the earth shitbag of a person" type of messages.

And I'm glad you came to a clearer understanding of my post. Sometimes I know I ramble and may not make much sense the first time around. Big Grin