So I was thinking...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: So I was thinking...
The Immoral Landscape

We’ll start off with an easy dilemma. At least, comparatively easy. It’s been a source of irritation for me for, oh I don’t know, a few weeks now. I call it: The Cold War.

Let’s go back a couple of years, shall we? First off, you must know that I work in a ten-story office building, on the 9th floor. My company’s break room is on the 3rd floor. Technically, there’s one on the 10th floor as well, but that’s for the bigwigs and insignificant peons such as my co-workers and myself don’t tend to venture up there. Anyway, we’ve got this nifty ice-making machine on the 3rd floor that makes the little pea-gravel ice that everyone around here raves about and loves – aka Bush’s ice or Sonic ice – and so they would go down there and fill up their Styrofoam cups with ice and whatever beverage of their choice and then tote it back up to the 9th floor via elevator.

At some point, someone decided that it was too much trouble to go down AN ELEVATOR to the 3rd floor to fetch their ice and so suggested that the whole department go in on an ice chest. That way, someone could, first thing each weekday morning, take the ice chest down to the 3rd floor, fill it up, take it back upstairs, and save everyone else the “trouble” of going down AN ELEVATOR throughout the day to refresh their drinks.

I thought the whole thing was madness, to be honest. For one, I don’t drink too terribly much throughout the day. I make myself a cup of coffee at home and then have one other beverage that lasts me the remainder of the workday. This “other” beverage will usually be an already-chilled can or bottle of soda from the vending machine (and so I feel no need to pour it over into a Styrofoam cup filled with ice because, you know, it’s already cold) or it’s a drink from a restaurant which has its own ice already. So my ice needs are very low. (Big Red absolutely requires the pea-gravel ice but that’s another story and I don’t drink them all that often, so…)

My co-workers drink a lot more than I do, apparently. And they drink lots of water from the water cooler around the corner which, just to give you all the pertinent details, is already cold all on its own, sans ice. But hey, if they wanted to go in on a cooler because they couldn’t be bothered to go down the elevator at various times throughout the day it was fine by me, but I was going to get no use out of the thing and so I didn’t go in on the ice chest.

I think they’re still pissed about that.

So the months are going along with my ice-loving co-workers sending alternate people down each day to fill up the cooler and they’re remarking on how nifty this idea of theirs was and how convenient it is not to have to go down AN ELEVATOR every time they want ice and from my observations, everything appears to be going great. They’re happy and I’m happy.

Well, not exactly. See, another pertinent detail you must know is that I – along with my co-workers – answer multiple phone calls a day from ungrateful insurance agents and policyholders alike. Once a week, we each get a day off the phones (thank you, wonderful boss of mine!) and it was this day that they decided was the most opportune time to have your turn to do the ice. Because of the number of people in my department, the days off the phone get “doubled up” so that there are generally at least two people off the phone per day. So, as it happens, the person I was “doubled up” with was having to go each week to fill up the ice chest because I’d not signed up for that shit.

And so the bitching started. I think she thought I didn’t hear it (or maybe she wanted me to hear it, who the hell knows) but I’d notice that she would complain about not having someone to trade off with so that she could fill up the ice just once every other week. Honestly, I ignored that shit. I didn’t feel I had any reason whatsoever to fill up a big-ass cooler of ice just to accommodate for their laziness.

Yeah, that didn’t work out so well. Next thing I know, one of my buddies sends out a department-wide e-mail titled “New Ice Schedule” and guess whose name was listed on there? Yours truly. Miss Escape Artist herself, Miss Danielle I-don’t-give-a-fuck-about-ice-so-leave-me-the-hell-out-of-it. And so the fuckers just penciled me in. I was pissed.

And yet, I did it. I went and filled the shit up obnoxiously full and then made a show of filling up a cup of ice that I then proceeded to do nothing with but let sit on my desk and melt (sometimes I can be a juvenile little snit Hobo ) – no doubt the steam coming out of my ears hastened the process.

I’ve filled up the ice chest twice since then, but still this whole thing doesn’t sit right with me so I am turning to you, my fellow godless hooligans, to guide me in this social situation. Whatever your ruling is, I shall abide by it and hold my tongue and keep about myself a proper attitude as is fitting a lady whenever this matter is brought up at my place of employment. So help me Jeebus.

So tell me, am I obligated, due to the team dynamic, to fetch these people’s ice for them? Or are they being inexcusably lazy? In my mind, I just work with these people. I share no deep connection with them, place no value upon them except as acquaintances that I must get along with in order to earn my paycheck. I feel like, as their co-worker, I’m obligated to do the best job of communicating with them as I am able, to keep a good attitude, to be cooperative in all matters pertaining to the job at hand, but that’s where the arrangement ends. If they need or desire creature comforts at work, they need to do it, provide it, for themselves.

But I’ll let you guys be the judge.

Again, this is more of a silly matter (obviously) and not a huge moral dilemma but I think it sheds some light on my thought processes concerning these types of things. I’m always trying to figure out what is expected of me in the various social groups of which I am a part of, and then whether those expectations are reasonable, and lastly whether conforming to those expectations would mean losing respect for myself. <--If that makes any sense – prolly not. Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
(10-11-2013 10:14 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  The Immoral Landscape

We’ll start off with an easy dilemma. At least, comparatively easy. It’s been a source of irritation for me for, oh I don’t know, a few weeks now. I call it: The Cold War.

Let’s go back a couple of years, shall we? First off, you must know that I work in a ten-story office building, on the 9th floor. My company’s break room is on the 3rd floor. Technically, there’s one on the 10th floor as well, but that’s for the bigwigs and insignificant peons such as my co-workers and myself don’t tend to venture up there. Anyway, we’ve got this nifty ice-making machine on the 3rd floor that makes the little pea-gravel ice that everyone around here raves about and loves – aka Bush’s ice or Sonic ice – and so they would go down there and fill up their Styrofoam cups with ice and whatever beverage of their choice and then tote it back up to the 9th floor via elevator.

At some point, someone decided that it was too much trouble to go down AN ELEVATOR to the 3rd floor to fetch their ice and so suggested that the whole department go in on an ice chest. That way, someone could, first thing each weekday morning, take the ice chest down to the 3rd floor, fill it up, take it back upstairs, and save everyone else the “trouble” of going down AN ELEVATOR throughout the day to refresh their drinks.

I thought the whole thing was madness, to be honest. For one, I don’t drink too terribly much throughout the day. I make myself a cup of coffee at home and then have one other beverage that lasts me the remainder of the workday. This “other” beverage will usually be an already-chilled can or bottle of soda from the vending machine (and so I feel no need to pour it over into a Styrofoam cup filled with ice because, you know, it’s already cold) or it’s a drink from a restaurant which has its own ice already. So my ice needs are very low. (Big Red absolutely requires the pea-gravel ice but that’s another story and I don’t drink them all that often, so…)

My co-workers drink a lot more than I do, apparently. And they drink lots of water from the water cooler around the corner which, just to give you all the pertinent details, is already cold all on its own, sans ice. But hey, if they wanted to go in on a cooler because they couldn’t be bothered to go down the elevator at various times throughout the day it was fine by me, but I was going to get no use out of the thing and so I didn’t go in on the ice chest.

So the months are going along with my ice-loving co-workers sending alternate people down each day to fill up the cooler and they’re remarking on how nifty this idea of theirs was and how convenient it is not to have to go down AN ELEVATOR every time they want ice and from my observations, everything appears to be going great. They’re happy and I’m happy.

Well, not exactly. See, another pertinent detail you must know is that I – along with my co-workers – answer multiple phone calls a day from ungrateful insurance agents and policyholders alike. Once a week, we each get a day off the phones (thank you, wonderful boss of mine!) and it was this day that they decided was the most opportune time to have your turn to do the ice. Because of the number of people in my department, the days off the phone get “doubled up” so that there are generally at least two people off the phone per day. So, as it happens, the person I was “doubled up” with was having to go each week to fill up the ice chest because I’d not signed up for that shit.

And so the bitching started. I think she thought I didn’t hear it (or maybe she wanted me to hear it, who the hell knows) but I’d notice that she would complain about not having someone to trade off with so that she could fill up the ice just once every other week. Honestly, I ignored that shit. I didn’t feel I had any reason whatsoever to fill up a big-ass cooler of ice just to accommodate for their laziness.

Yeah, that didn’t work out so well. Next thing I know, one of my buddies sends out a department-wide e-mail titled “New Ice Schedule” and guess whose name was listed on there? Yours truly. Miss Escape Artist herself, Miss Danielle I-don’t-give-a-fuck-about-ice-so-leave-me-the-hell-out-of-it. And so the fuckers just penciled me in. I was pissed.

And yet, I did it. I went and filled the shit up obnoxiously full and then made a show of filling up a cup of ice that I then proceeded to do nothing with but let sit on my desk and melt (sometimes I can be a juvenile little snit Hobo ) – no doubt the steam coming out of my ears hastened the process.

I’ve filled up the ice chest twice since then, but still this whole thing doesn’t sit right with me so I am turning to you, my fellow godless hooligans, to guide me in this social situation. Whatever your ruling is, I shall abide by it and hold my tongue and keep about myself a proper attitude as is fitting a lady whenever this matter is brought up at my place of employment. So help me Jeebus.

So tell me, am I obligated, due to the team dynamic, to fetch these people’s ice for them? Or are they being inexcusably lazy? In my mind, I just work with these people. I share no deep connection with them, place no value upon them except as acquaintances that I must get along with in order to earn my paycheck. I feel like, as their co-worker, I’m obligated to do the best job of communicating with them as I am able, to keep a good attitude, to be cooperative in all matters pertaining to the job at hand, but that’s where the arrangement ends. If they need or desire creature comforts at work, they need to do it, provide it, for themselves.

Again, this is more of a silly matter (obviously) and not a huge moral dilemma but I think it sheds some light on my thought processes concerning these types of things. I’m always trying to figure out what is expected of me in the various social groups of which I am a part of, and then whether those expectations are reasonable, and lastly whether conforming to those expectations would mean losing respect for myself. <--If that makes any sense – prolly not. Tongue

I wouldn't have filled it. I would tell them I never signed up for it and will no longer do it.

However, you have to judge whether the effects of your doing that would be too negative.
You could instead do it cheerfully and be seen as a real team player.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Don't sweat the small stuff. You could make this a huge deal or you can be the bigger person, by which I mean passing it around that even though you don't use the ice it was such a big deal for your co-worker you don't mind helping because your such a good person. Rub it in really get everything out of this you can. Eventually you'll get the others on your side and still will look like the better person for it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-11-2013, 11:28 AM
That's some petty bullshit if you ask me. I like Rev's idea, but you should volunteer to do it every day, just to rub it in. You should also send out an email stating that you would be happy to drop whatever you are doing to get people ice from the chest upon request so that they won't be troubled.

(Another thought is to piss in the ice chest, but that's fucking childish so I'll leave it up to you Angel )

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
10-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Excellent suggestions, all of you! Keep 'em coming. Evil_monster

10-11-2013, 12:08 PM
(06-11-2013 10:47 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  So I was thinking...

Well know wonder your an Atheist

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
10-11-2013, 12:37 PM
(10-11-2013 11:02 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Don't sweat the small stuff. You could make this a huge deal or you can be the bigger person, by which I mean passing it around that even though you don't use the ice it was such a big deal for your co-worker you don't mind helping because your such a good person. Rub it in really get everything out of this you can. Eventually you'll get the others on your side and still will look like the better person for it.

I agree that I shouldn't worry about quote/unquote small stuff, and I didn't at first until they kind of made a big deal out of it like this. So then I started trying to figure out WHY it was such a big deal to them (or at least, this one person in particular). I started wondering if maybe I had indeed done something that was, if not wrong, considered rude by my co-workers.

But I like the idea of rubbing it in. Mua-ha-ha Evil_monster

(10-11-2013 11:28 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  That's some petty bullshit if you ask me. I like Rev's idea, but you should volunteer to do it every day, just to rub it in. You should also send out an email stating that you would be happy to drop whatever you are doing to get people ice from the chest upon request so that they won't be troubled.

(Another thought is to piss in the ice chest, but that's fucking childish so I'll leave it up to you Angel )

I work in an office full of women. Everything is petty bullshit. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
11-11-2013, 04:16 AM
(10-11-2013 12:37 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I work in an office full of women. Everything is petty bullshit. Tongue

UGH. WOMEN. Censored

I would never have filled the ice chest up and I would have gone directly to whoever made that stupid little schedule and given them a good what-for.

But now that you've done it, they'll argue that you can just keep doing it..

I guess it depends on how confrontational you want to be about it. Just say no! It's not like they can force you to go do it.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post