So, I was tutoring my Vietnamese student last night...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2012, 03:15 PM
So, I was tutoring my Vietnamese student last night...
...and I realized how unfair English actually is.

We were reading and he gets to the word "says". He pronounced it "sayz" (long a). I stopped to correct him, but I started thinking about it. He said, "'Says' is like 'say' isn't it?"

"Well... yeah."

"Then why isn't it pronounced like 'say'?"

I was at a complete loss. I told I didn't know why it was pronounced "sez".

This is something that I actually never thought about. I've never looked at "says" and thought about the way it should be phonetically pronounced if you're following standard English rules.

It's crazy how a different perspective can open your eyes.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2012, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 04:17 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: So, I was tutoring my Vietnamese student last night...
And he sez, "can we watch Good Wife now, Kingsy ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
16-07-2012, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 04:15 PM by watchman.)
(16-07-2012 03:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Try him on O-U-G-H..... for instance ....."rough" , "tough" , "cough" , "trough" ... OK once he's got that throw "plough" at him. Follow this with "through" You may then need to introduce him to an etymological dictionary.

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
[/font][/size]

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
[+] 5 users Like watchman's post
16-07-2012, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 06:46 PM by cufflink.)
To really blow his mind, ask him to pick out the two words that rhyme in each of these sets:

1. weight, height, late

2. though, go, do

3. rude, good, food

4. my, lie, brie

5. seat, great, bait

6. rose, lose, snooze

7. toot, route, foot

8. sign, nine, zine

9. gone, stun, done

10. shoe, toe, row

And the past tense of lead is led, but the past tense of read is read (which rhymes with led).

And the plural of mouse is mice, but the plural spouse is not spice (somewhat unfortunately).

And so on and so on.

Those of us who grew up with English should count ourselves lucky we didn't have to learn it as adults. It ain't easy.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
16-07-2012, 06:44 PM
To comfort him after all that, just say "There, their, they're".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
16-07-2012, 07:07 PM
(16-07-2012 06:40 PM)cufflink Wrote:  It ain't easy.

Someone apparently needs a refresher on their grammar. Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
16-07-2012, 07:12 PM
(16-07-2012 07:07 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 06:40 PM)cufflink Wrote:  It ain't easy.

Someone apparently needs a refresher on their grammar. Tongue
Or on his grammar. Thumbsup

16-07-2012, 07:15 PM
(16-07-2012 07:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 07:07 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Someone apparently needs a refresher on their grammar. Tongue
Or on his grammar. Thumbsup

Yes, I sit corrected. But you're assuming Cuff is male. Also, I've been making it my mission for the past 25 years to get the grammar gods to accept "their" as the proper replacement for his/her type statements.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-07-2012, 07:17 PM
(16-07-2012 07:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 07:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  Or on his grammar. Thumbsup

Yes, I sit corrected. But you're assuming Cuff is male. Also, I've been making it my mission for the past 25 years to get the grammar gods to accept "their" as the proper replacement for his/her type statements.
BLASPHEMER! HERETIC! Hobo

16-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Next to French, English is the most inconsistent and illogical language I have come across. (Mostly european languages, some arabic)

Completely illogical spelling (French trumps English here) and countless grammar exceptions.

Poor kids get stuck in school for years just learning how to spell and write instead of moving on to bigger and better things.

Language also shapes the way you think. English grammar does not allow for long, complicated thought. Sentences have to be short as there is no way to reference back to a noun or pronoun after interjecting several sub clauses.

English has only one gender (the) and doesn't express causes. On top of that, it has been simplified further by common use.

Such as: "he is jumping in the pool" . That means he is in the pool jumping up and down. "He is jumping into the pool" actually expresses the meaning most people intend to express.

The lack of these type of distinctions further compromises complex thought and expression.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post